GDT Sabres at NYI 4-4-15 7PM MSG, GR 550

Brawndo

I am going to need this type of scorecard going forward because I will get sick to my stomach if I do it myself (fearing the worst case scenarios will come true). Thanks for posting.

I love the personality our team has taken on but not surprised with the team under Nolan. We have had some real strong third periods of late. Here's a vote for 30th and Nolan having a shot to continue building the culture he has started. Who can't love a team with no quit?

Personality, culture, character, "no quit" -- I see these words a lot lately and I'm not buying it.  

I'd love to believe that this is a young team learning the amount of effort and hard work it takes night in, night out to compete in the NHL but this late push feels more like the "Oh yeah?" mindset you see in road rage incidents where someone gets cut off and they decide it can't go unanswered so it's time to speed up and try to cut off that other driver in response.  Or when you see a fight outside a bar it always boils down to "I got disrespected. I had to do something."  

There's no benefit to doing these things but they're "important" in the moment.  Like finishing 29th versus 30th.

The Sabres mailed in plenty of games earlier this season.  They couldn't learn how to work when it might have turned their season around?  And there's a reason every time we see a frantic late season push, that urgency and culture and character NEVER carries over into the next season.  Because it's not culture and character.  It was just a gesture they wanted to make before they left winning the Cup to the elite teams.

Unfortunately for Buffalo, Nolan has the team in a "We'll show them!" mindset.  Don't be surprised if that evaporates by the time they're 0-0-0 again.

Win and we get McDavid.

Lose and we get Eichel.

i couldnt choke that truth out... we could win and arizona wins two and we could actually get both mceichels or connor and hanifin etc... i dont need that worry.. just want the last 2 years to have a purpose w one great top 2 player ( not a defensmen)... but then i'll need just this and then i dont need anything else.. thats all.. well, and i need a tooth brush,  i need this buudha statue and my drink unbrellas..all i need is..   ahhh happiness is an  owsley gel... ill make the rest up

How amazing it would be if the Sabres lost a close one in regulation and the desert dogs take 2....what a sigh of relief.

Would be truly a great day.

Definitely hoping the Sabres play well but not well enough to win or even get to OT. The Yotes beating an overconfident Snark squad would be icing on the cake. That scenario would also bring this debacle to within 1 Sabres' loss or 1 Desert Dog win of mercifully being over.

Personality, culture, character, "no quit" -- I see these words a lot lately and I'm not buying it.  

I'd love to believe that this is a young team learning the amount of effort and hard work it takes night in, night out to compete in the NHL but this late push feels more like the "Oh yeah?" mindset you see in road rage incidents where someone gets cut off and they decide it can't go unanswered so it's time to speed up and try to cut off that other driver in response.  Or when you see a fight outside a bar it always boils down to "I got disrespected. I had to do something."

Truly, all psychobabble. This team is taking on a character different than we saw at the end of Ruff's tenure and light years different than under Rolston. The players remaining had nothing...NOTHING...to do with the dismantling of this team. Yet, this essentially AHL squad is competing. You can question the early season motivation (or lack thereof), yet the whole world knew what was going on in Buffalo. Kudos to the remaining players for not looking like Arizona in recent weeks.

I, for one, love it! Selfishly, I want the team to play well and lose. Not my typical mindset, admittedly, but I respect the effort I am seeing and the lack of quit. You can choose to assign their motivation as an F-you to the fans. I choose to credit Nolan and his staff.

Truly, all psychobabble. This team is taking on a character different than we saw at the end of Ruff's tenure and light years different than under Rolston. The players remaining had nothing...NOTHING...to do with the dismantling of this team. Yet, this essentially AHL squad is competing. You can question the early season motivation (or lack thereof), yet the whole world knew what was going on in Buffalo. Kudos to the remaining players for not looking like Arizona in recent weeks.

I, for one, love it! Selfishly, I want the team to play well and lose. Not my typical mindset, admittedly, but I respect the effort I am seeing and the lack of quit. You can choose to assign their motivation as an F-you to the fans. I choose to credit Nolan and his staff.

OK, why?  We saw Ruff's teams make late runs that were better than this.  We had all the same "they've turned a corner" chatter and we used all the same words: culture, character, "no quit".  What about these meaningless wins is different than the meaningless wins in 2012?

If you're comparing this to Ruff's last season, that was a completely different scenario since we a bunch of veterans waiting to be traded after their GM announced "Suffering" was his plan.  And I'm not sure what is impressive from a culture standpoint about AHLers going all out when they get a rare shot in the NHL.  These are guys who might not get another shot; what else would they do?

Stormin Norman, on 04 Apr 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

That's where I'm at for up to 4 more games.

Would REALLY like to have 4 points go the way we need towards 30th. Then we'd be down to needing just 2 more points to lock up 30th and once those are landed, this debacle is done.

Me dense, me no follow this. Me see this several times and no understand using CHL or NHL speak. Help?

If the Sabres "blow this" by actually trying to win games down the stretch while the Coyotes go without a regulation win in their last 32, the Sabres will win the lottery. It's going to happen.

Credit? I really don't see improved effort as much as I see Larsson and Grigorenko finally giving the lines balance up the middle.

Something Nolan seemed really reluctant to do.

Larsson was said to have an exemplary work ethic all along.

Weber, Gionta, Delauries, Gorges, Foligno, Risto, these guys have been working hard all year IMO.

Either way, I usually find that effort comes from within the room.

I give Gionta a ton of credit. Love the guy.

Worth posting again:

Buffalo Sabres @BuffaloSabres · 57 minutes ago

The #Sabres have outshot their opponents in 4 straight games for the 1st time since Nov. 2 to 8, 2011. #CHIvsBUF

Now that the fans are close to having something to be excited about, Teddy and the boys want to send a message.  Of course.  

Four games left in what will probably go down as the most "Buffalo" season in the history of Buffalo sports.

I think the Meszaros, Strachans, Webers, Benoits, and other part-timers need to apologize to the likes of Deslaurier, Kaleta, and others who gave 100% from the first puck drop of the season. Meszaros admitted it himself when he said that he just needed to "work harder" vs. change anything in his game. I don't buy for a second that Nolan is miraculously instilling some type of "character" and commitment, either. His record, regardless of the talent at his disposal, is abysmal. Teams don't just suddenly "get it" after 74 games. The simple fact is that a few losers who gave less than their all the entire season got their egos hurt by their home fans and then, and ONLY then, they decided to nut up and play to their full abilities. They won't have ANY problem playing like schmucks again when their egos heal. 

This group of losers can't leave fast enough. 

GO SABRES!!!

Lose by 10 goals and look like ###### for all I care, just bring home the shart. None of this matters next year.

I can't imagine feeling any other way at *this* point in the season. Functional 3 point lead is too tenuous to want the team to play well. I want every remaining game to look like the first period against Chicago.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.