Lottery to be made available for public viewing

Eleven

Yeah--PTR--look at the previous page.  You can get the list ordered by number or ordered by team.

It's pretty much impossible to argue that this thing is fixed now, unless someone can tinker with the machine:

1)  The list is publicly available.

2)  The draw will be observed by a member of the Sabres' executive team.

3)  The draw will be shown on the Internet after it is completed.

I think next year, the league will probably show the draws live.  With three draws and bs commentary in between, there's enough for a half hour show.

Next year could be really tedious depending on how they run it.  If they stick to this 14 ball system, it will be very possible that they have to do more than three drawings.  Say the Sabres win the lottery on their 20%.  You can't remove any of their combinations from the machine.  There's now a 20% on the second draw that they come up again.

Next year could be really tedious depending on how they run it.  If they stick to this 14 ball system, it will be very possible that they have to do more than three drawings.  Say the Sabres win the lottery on their 20%.  You can't remove any of their combinations from the machine.  There's now a 20% on the second draw that they come up again.

infinite re-draws, i like it

Yeah--PTR--look at the previous page.  You can get the list ordered by number or ordered by team.

It's pretty much impossible to argue that this thing is fixed now, unless someone can tinker with the machine:

I think next year, the league will probably show the draws live.  With three draws and bs commentary in between, there's enough for a half hour show.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1346&dat=19800920&id=lEBIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IvsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7108,1407900&hl=en

I guess I do not understand the lottery. The numbers 1-14 are to be drawn, but none of the teams have #14 as their first number. I am assuming order of the numbers do not matter? So once they pick 4 numbers, rearrange them from low to high and whoever has that combination wins? Is that right? So if 14, 2, 1, and 3, are drawn, that's the same as 1,2,3,14 and we can start to party?

Correct. The chart is just ordered lowest to highest for ease of reading.

So now that the lottery combinations have been released, this process makes a bit more sense.

The NHL has a list of four digit combinations from 1-14 that each team is assigned based on their finish and percentage of winning the process.  So it's like a true lottery.  Based on how low you finished is how many four-digit combinations (or in essence lottery tickets) you get.

Whoever wins gets the first round pick.  After that, the remaining teams will fall into place based on their finish worst to best.

Below are the Sabres numbers.  Being last, the Sabres have almost an entire page of 4 digit combinations.  Arizona has about 3/4 a page, and it gets shorter as you go down.

So you can print the page and literally be watching the lottery live to see if the Sabres numbers hit. 

A bit nerve wrecking, so I can see why Murray says he just can't wait until it's over and done with.

(Interesting to note...if the numbers end up being 11,12,13,14, they will draw again)

GOOD LUCK SABRES!!!!

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/pdfs/NHL-Lottery-2015-Look-Up-Table-Alpha-by-Team.pdf

Edited by dejeanneret

You actually can rig a ping-pong ball lottery fairly easily. You simply make the 4 balls you want to come up lighter than the others. They will be more likely to be sucked up the tube. Conspiracy's back on!

Ooops, sorry,Fake Gorby already cited an example.

Edited by Promonov Robotnik

You actually can rig a ping-pong ball lottery fairly easily. You simply make the 4 balls you want to come up lighter than the others. They will be more likely to be sucked up the tube. Conspiracy's back on!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Pennsylvania_Lottery_scandal

It's a very interesting story worth the read... the guy who announces the numbers was in on it.

IMO they should use the same rules and regulations as a modern day state lottery, ie....

-maintain several sets of balls, choose one at random for the draw

-keep the equipment in a locked vault

-measure and weigh each ball with an auditor present and then lock them away in a vault

Is any of that being done?  Who the knows.  

All I know is that Ted Black will be there with a syringe, filling all non-Sabres balls with white paint.

The fact the each team gets an even distribution of numbers prevents tampering.... even BOS, who has only 10 combinations, has all numbers 1-14 included in their combinations.   So there is no incentive to weight the balls any differently... well, except for the LAK, who do not have the number 1 in any of their combinations... what's up with that?    

It's a Pennsyltucky thing. I've lightened many a ball.

This is kind of fun. 

And depressing at the same time. 

Oddly enough, it came up Sabres 2 out of the 10 times I tried. Hmm. 

http://nhllotterysimulator.com/#/official

So according to this simulator as the numbers are being picked, the updated odds of each teams chances of getting first pick are broadcasted.

I did a draw where after 3 numbers the Sabres were 28% favorites, and the 2nd place team was 7%, yet after the fourth ball was drawn it was a team below both of them that won the lottery.

This should make some interesting TV drama as the lottery unfolds.  Similar to watching world series of poker on ESPN and odds are updated as the hands go along, one team could be very ahead after the 3rd ball only to get upset by a team below them.

I hope that team being upset isn't the Sabres.  Like we need another situation where we are an almost lock of getting a first pick only to be spoiled by a damn lottery ball.

Odds after the first ball:

3     23.78%

14   21.68%

13   20.63%

4     20.28%

7     20.28%

8     20.28%

10   20.28%

9     19.53%

1     19.58%

11   19.58%

5     18.88%

6     18.88%

2     17.83%

12   17.83%

Edited by wjag

What frustrates me is the chance of a near miss playoff team winning the lottery. In the past a team could only improve their draft position by 4. Why was that changed? A few years back New Jersey won the lottery and moved from 8th to 4th. That enabled the team finishing last to have the 1st pick. Just do not understand why a team like Boston or LA has a chance at McDavid. The NHL should be following the NFL when it comes to the draft. If a team finishes in last place they get the 1st pick. I understand the NHL changed their draft system to help prevent "tanking", but it is quite obvious teams are still willing to do it. Even w/ a new system coming into play next year teams, if a player like McDavid is in the draft, will still do what it takes to increase their chances of landing that 1st pick. NHL should have gone w/ the old saying "If it's not broke, don't fix it." A tank will always happen when a once a generation player is up for grabs. 

So will Ted Black know the results before Tim Murray, and if so, will Murray already know if the Sabres won the lottery or not by the time they are broadcasting the results on TV?

In 2013, the most recent drawing video I could find, they did reveal the winner to the folks in the room. I've read that the observers are then sequestered. So I believe the answer to your Murray question is no. It kind of has to be that way; if the panel of GMs already knew, it might be hard to keep a poker face.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.