Lottery to be made available for public viewing

Eleven

The math is correct.   14 balls numbered 1-14, 4 non-repeating balls selected gives 1001 possible outcomes if order of the numbers do not matter.   

http://www.statisticshowto.com/calculators/permutation-calculator-and-combination-calculator/ (n=14, r=4, repeat=no, order=no)

The issue is that if you add up all the outcomes for all the teams (200 for BUF, 135 for ARI, etc...) the total comes to 1000.  

So there's 1 possible outcome that no team has.  

Grab your pitchforks folks, we're marching to Toronto on April 18th.

I see how the 14 Choose 4 =1001, where order doesn’t matter, and items cannot repeat (nice link to the staticshowto calculator, by the way).  The items cannot repeat because, basically, 4 out of the 14 balls come down the chute.  They have some lookup table where any of the possible 1001 resulting combinations correlates to an NHL franchise.

I guess that’s pretty clever, but it seems like it’d’ve been a lot easier just to invest in 200 ping-pong balls, and just draw one ball.  Not to mention, with 14 Choose 4 we have this discrepancy with the 1001th combination, which I assume would just become a re-do?

Another cool option would’ve been to have one drawing with 5 balls, where one of the five correlates to the 30th place team.  Then, if the 30th place team isn’t chosen from that first draw, have a separate drawing with 160 balls for the rest of the teams.

I see how the 14 Choose 4 =1001, where order doesn’t matter, and items cannot repeat (nice link to the staticshowto calculator, by the way).  The items cannot repeat because, basically, 4 out of the 14 balls come down the chute.  They have some lookup table where any of the possible 1001 resulting combinations correlates to an NHL franchise.

I guess that’s pretty clever, but it seems like it’d’ve been a lot easier just to invest in 200 ping-pong balls, and just draw one ball.  Not to mention, with 14 Choose 4 we have this discrepancy with the 1001th combination, which I assume would just become a re-do?

Another cool option would’ve been to have one drawing with 5 balls, where one of the five correlates to the 30th place team.  Then, if the 30th place team isn’t chosen from that first draw, have a separate drawing with 160 balls for the rest of the teams.

Numbers can repeat if they have 4 machines, each with 14.

Numbers can repeat if they have 4 machines, each with 14.

That's what I thought initially, too.  But I think it's one machine that pops out 4 balls (no repeats).  14*13*12*11/24 = 1001. (24 is the number of different ways you can order the 4 numbers.)

So assuming that the Sabres don't win the lottery what are the three teams that you absolutely do not want to see get McDavid?  Also what are the three teams you wouldn't mind getting him so much?

No McDavid:

1. Canes

2. Leafs

3. Flyers

The odds of any one of those teams getting him are better than ours at 24.5%.  But I'm warning you all right now, if the Canes get McDavid, a Sabretooth73 rant will seem like child's play.

Ok McDavid:

1. Sharks

2. Stars

3. Blue Jackets

Two of those teams keep McDavid out west.  Also if any of them win it drops the Canes to #6 and therefore out of the Strome/Marner/Hanifan tier, which would be nice.

Absolutely not:

Canes - screw teams without real fans, plus remaining 2006 bitterness

LA - they have two recent Cups, F 'em

Boston - instantly revitalizes my most hated team, gross

Sure:

Columbus - pretty likeable team outside of Hartnell

Edmonton - don't want them to win again, but their fans are real and have been forced to eat a serious sandwich for nearly a decade

San Jose - decent fan base, and the inky remaining team I don't really have something against.

I still don't understand how the greatest of the 4 professional North American sports leagues(the NFL) can succeed without a draft lottery, but the NHL has to have one, and then even make it more of a level playing field starting in 2016 just because teams choose to "rebuild" in a year when generational players are draft eligible. 

Did the NFL make drastic changes to their draft when the Colts decided to "Suck for Luck"?

That being said, there are only two teams I want to win the lottery...Buffalo or Arizona.  

Buffalo (clearly) or Columbus I'm okay with. Some teams out west like the Sharks or Oilers (via pitt) I could live with.

The rest fall under the spectrum of 1-Ugg I hate that team, at least we have Eichel --> 10-&%$ :censored: @$#%& %#$^ RIGGED $#@&! :censored:  &%#@ levels of frustration. 

PS I think the lottery is dumb. 

many :beer: will be had on that faithful day. 

My NO list: 1. Bruins

2. Bruins

3. Flyers

OK with most any other team - if the Leafs get McDavid, they'll likely screw up their rebuild anyway.

I'm REALLY OK with Eichel. Watched him play for BU a lot this year and pumped for the Frozen Four final tonight.

He'll be a fine consolation prize if we pick #2.

I wouldn't care too much if we lost and either the Leafs, Avalanche, or Blue Jackets won it. I think an Eichel/McDavid rivalry would be awesome for 10+ years with the Leafs. CBJ already has the team around them for McDavid to be a superstar his first year, which would be fun to watch. The Avalanche had Joe Sakic, who is my all-time favorite player, and I wouldn't mind seeing them do well.

Anyone else, and I would be a little bummed out but over it pretty quickly. 

the leafs are no where near our rebuild, if they don't get Mcdavid i can't see kessel/phaneuf wanting to stay anymore.

And even if they get Mcdavid they don't have our pipeline of talent.  Same goes for the coyotes.

Blue jackets i'd be ok with getting Mcdavid, that would be a scary team then though.

Great topic, especially now that the Tank is complete.

No McDavid:

1. Toronto -- Screw them.  Toronto has enough nice things, they don't need this too.  Jeremy White and Matt Coller have said they'd "love" this because McDavid versus Eichel would be a new Kelly versus Marino but it's important to remember the reason Bills fans remember that so fondly is that we won most of the games in that rivalry (and seemingly all of the important ones).  Not interested.

2. Philadelphia -- To hell with them too.

3. Boston -- See above.

4. Carolina -- I might have been ready to forgive them if they had beaten us on Monday.  But it's still 2006 in Carolina for me, and I hate them.

5. Florida -- I don't hate them but they're in our division and already getting pretty good.  No thanks.

6. Los Angeles -- Two Stanley Cups in the last 3 years is plenty.  Still love your Twitter though.

7. Edmonton -- Enough already with drafting 1st overall!

8. Columbus -- Not our division but roughly the same reason as Florida.

9. Colorado -- Not our conference but roughly the same reason as Florida.

Yes, McDavid:

1. Dallas -- I live here.  I might buy season tickets.  Not our conference, and I'd love to see Lindy Ruff get McDavid.

2. Phoenix -- Yes, Phoenix.  Big, growing market that I'd love to help hockey grow in.  Also, not our conference so all good.

3. San Jose -- Big market and already a good fan base.  But not our conference and all their best players are older so I could live with this.

Meh, McDavid:

1. New Jersey -- They're our conference but they're old and I don't hate them like I hate all the other teams in our conference.

I just thinking about this and was going to start a thread. Hockey gods saved me as I scrolled down and saw this one had already started!

With McEichel secured, I don't care where the other goes but am thinking I want an east coast team. Just for the fun the thrilling head to head match ups will bring us for years and years. Don't give a shart if it's the Leafs or the Bruins even. Having had to endure three years of the worst hockey I have ever seen will be made up for watching some of the best for ten years.

So I hope it's an east coast team.

I don't want Arizona to get him. Then we will have to listen to "if Buffalo had won against Columbus and finished 29th, that would have been their pick" logic.

I don't want it to be the Leafs. Their fans are annoying as it is in the Sabres arena. I don't want someone who is going to dominate.

I don't want it to be Boston. Mass-holes... enough said.

I wouldn't mind Columbus, Colorado, or San Jose. Keep him in the West, except for Columbus -- I feel we owe them.

I still don't understand how the greatest of the 4 professional North American sports leagues(the NFL) can succeed without a draft lottery, but the NHL has to have one, and then even make it more of a level playing field starting in 2016 just because teams choose to "rebuild" in a year when generational players are draft eligible. 

Did the NFL make drastic changes to their draft when the Colts decided to "Suck for Luck"?

That being said, there are only two teams I want to win the lottery...Buffalo or Arizona.  

Been preaching that all season.  :thumbsup: I would have no problem with no lottery at all. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.