GDT: Toronto @ Buffalo; 7:30m pm EST

WildCard

Please define "old ways". I don't think what I'm arguing is old fashioned or anything.

You have been following along, no?

FFS, this discussion was almost actually getting back to what this board was when it was at its best: people w/ different opinions actually discussing and debating them. Can we at least wait until the Chicago game before dragging it back down? ;)

FFS, this discussion was almost actually getting back to what this board was when it was at its best: people w/ different opinions actually discussing and debating them. Can we at least wait until the Chicago game before dragging it back down? ;)

I'm going to have to charge a fee for that.

OK, time to step away from the computer for a while, Dr. Freud.

I think the frustration is a manifestation of (1) we suck, (2) we've sucked for a really long time, and (3) we're really close to landing a special player and we might screw it up by, get this, winning meaningless games when all we have to do is lose. Like, we suck but we can't even do that right. And if you want you can mix in everything that comes with growing up in Buffalo as to why sports are so important culturally.

Plus, as someone else wisely pointed out last night (can't remember who), there's a lot that comes with being in 30th so long only to lose it at the end. If we were Arizona and falling in the standings only to come up short at 29th overall, we'd be a lot less miserable than if we were 30th for a couple months and lost it in the last week of the season. There's an "anchoring" that has already taken place where we started this negotiation at 30th and can't back off now.

I get it. It's the idea that Buffalo is gonna Buffalo. The collective idea that since we have to do something drastic to break the cycle. It's quite "nothing to lose".

One other thing that is bugging me.

There is this assumption that a single player is going to change this franchise around overnight.  As though getting Eichel or McDavid would change the Sabres drastically for next year and that getting pick #3 would reduce the Sabres to being horrible for years on end.

I'm not tracking with that.  I'll admit that it would be better to have pick #1, then pick #2, and then pick #3 but I'm can't believe that the Sabres will be drastically different next year if they have pick #1 over pick #3.  The argument against #3 is that the Sabres will be as horrible as they are this year.  I can't buy that.

Perhaps its this perception that fuels people into this rage about winning.  The Sabres are going to be a better team next year, period.  This isn't even in question is it?  Moreover, the Sabres get an improved shot at the top 3 picks next year (if they don't improve enough).  

The future without the #1 may not be as bright as with the #1 but it's not "The Day After" either.

There is this assumption that a single player is going to change this franchise around overnight.  As though getting Eichel or McDavid would change the Sabres drastically for next year and that getting pick #3 would reduce the Sabres to being horrible for years on end.

I'm not tracking with that.  I'll admit that it would be better to have pick #1, then pick #2, and then pick #3 but I'm can't believe that the Sabres will be drastically different next year if they have pick #1 over pick #3.  The argument against #3 is that the Sabres will be as horrible as they are this year.  I can't buy that.

Perhaps its this perception that fuels people into this rage about winning.  The Sabres are going to be a better team next year, period.  This isn't even in question is it?  Moreover, the Sabres get an improved shot at the top 3 picks next year (if they don't improve enough).  

The future without the #1 may not be as bright as with the #1 but it's not "The Day After" either.

The difference between McDavid & Strome would likely be finishing mid-80's and finishing mid-70's. Neither is playoff bound, but 1 keeps hope alive longer and also ends up more entertaining. It also probably is the difference between upper 90's the following year and playoffs and mid-90's and a coin flip to be in the playoffs.

Drastically different no, but having a possible 100 point producer in your line up in two years does speed up things  fast.

There is this assumption that a single player is going to change this franchise around overnight. As though getting Eichel or McDavid would change the Sabres drastically for next year and that getting pick #3 would reduce the Sabres to being horrible for years on end.

I'm not tracking with that. I'll admit that it would be better to have pick #1, then pick #2, and then pick #3 but I'm can't believe that the Sabres will be drastically different next year if they have pick #1 over pick #3. The argument against #3 is that the Sabres will be as horrible as they are this year. I can't buy that.

Perhaps its this perception that fuels people into this rage about winning. The Sabres are going to be a better team next year, period. This isn't even in question is it? Moreover, the Sabres get an improved shot at the top 3 picks next year (if they don't improve enough).

It's really just playing the odds. I expect we'll compete in the coming years regardless. McEichel helps reassure fans of the possibility. Edited by d4rksabre

It's a lot more than just "playing the odds." Adding unique talent like McDeichel forces teams to alter their defensive game plans and opens up everything else for your other lines. And they will do that for 15 years. Nobody else in the draft comes close to that kind of promise at this point. 

It's beyond just reassuring to the fans. It is the best option for the team moving forward, regardless. 

GO SABRES!!!

It's a lot more than just "playing the odds." Adding unique talent like McDeichel forces teams to alter their defensive game plans and opens up everything else for your other lines. And they will do that for 15 years. Nobody else in the draft comes close to that kind of promise at this point.

It's beyond just reassuring to the fans. It is the best option for the team moving forward, regardless.

GO SABRES!!!

I don't think anyone would argue that it isn't. There's no debate in that respect. McEichel is like punching up up down down left right A B start into your Sega Genesis.

McDavid or Eichel would be your dominant #1 center in a year, if not sooner.  Reinhart would be a very strong #2.  If you end up with the third pick and choose a center, then he would probably spend another year in juniors before coming up and being your #2 behind Reinhart.  Big difference.

Anyone notice Kaleta was wearing the "A" last night?

He talked about it on WGR.  Nolan told him it was his for the rest of the season and he said (basically) that it almost brought him to tears.

Edited by carpandean

McDavid or Eichel would be your dominant #1 center in a year, if not sooner.  Reinhart would be a very strong #2.  If you end up with the third pick and choose a center, then he would probably spend another year in juniors before coming up and being your #2 behind Reinhart.  Big difference.

He talked about it on WGR.  Nolan told it was his for the rest of the season and he said (basically) that it almost brought him to tears.

If only Zemgus Girgensons played center, oh the humanity! 

I don't think anyone would argue that it isn't. There's no debate in that respect. McEichel is like punching up up down down left right A B start into your Sega Genesis.

I would suggest the entire debate has been about the relative value of adding McDeichel vs. any other players available in this draft. 

GO SABRES!!!

I get it. It's the idea that Buffalo is gonna Buffalo. The collective idea that since we have to do something drastic to break the cycle. It's quite "nothing to lose".

That's a thing, but that's not what I was referring to.  I mean that Buffalonians are super sensitive about their area.  Buffalo doesn't get the same respect culturally that a lot of the "cool" cities get, and we're on the wrong end of a lot of jokes.  Pro sports is our ticket to national relevance and even that has worked against us most of this century.

We're very close to landing a player that could make us the center of the hockey universe for the next 10 years.  McDavid would mean more to Buffalo than just hockey.  Even Eichel would.  And that's before you even think about a potential championship at some point.  I think it'd be the first time ever that Buffalo had the biggest star in the league.

That's a thing, but that's not what I was referring to.  I mean that Buffalonians are super sensitive about their area.  Buffalo doesn't get the same respect culturally that a lot of the "cool" cities get, and we're on the wrong end of a lot of jokes.  Pro sports is our ticket to national relevance and even that has worked against us most of this century.

We're very close to landing a player that could make us the center of the hockey universe for the next 10 years.  McDavid would mean more to Buffalo than just hockey.  Even Eichel would.  And that's before you even think about a potential championship at some point.  I think it'd be the first time ever that Buffalo had the biggest star in the league.

and that right there is a large part of everything, Buffalo is a joke.

If they finish 29th behind Arizona, then it would also be fine for the 'Yotes to win the lottery.

Sez you.  I want it all.

Histrionics

Histrionics

Histrionics

Histrionics

Histrionics

Thanks for that one :flirt:

Apparently I'm single-handedly expanding the vocabulary of SS members.

No I didn't.  Who else wore them?  I know Weber's had the A lately, did Nolan take it away from him for crying about the fans?

yes I noticed, in post game interview, PK said it was Weber's idea for him to get the A, and in my humble unbiased opinion, he wears it well, good for him

Sez you.  I want it all.

I have waited forever for this opportunity ...

Thanks, NP.

:flirt:

I'm not a fan of Kaleta, but I will say he has given his all and then some in his time with the Sabres ... 10 years now, I believe.

I think he knows that it is time.

The "A" is a fitting tribute.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.