Former Sabre Steve Montador Dead at 35

LastPommerFan

RIP, Mr. Montador.

I hope this doesn't cause the NHL to do a kneejerk reaction and try to ban anything resembling toughness. You know like banning fights, or some sort of crazy modification to the hitting game.

Nothing has ever been in more dire need of a modification than the rules for hitting in the NHL.  A punch in the face is nothing compared to someone driving a body armored elbow or shoulder into someone's face at 30mph but the NHL looks the other way on that more often than not.

30+ game suspensions for targeting the head would be a nice start.

The saddest from the above article:  Steve Montador, the former Chicago Blackhawks defenceman and expectant father who was found dead in his home on Sunday, was a plaintiff in the concussion case against the NHL, TSN has confirmed.

He will never watch his baby grow up nor would that baby have their father.  So sad.

The saddest from the above article:  Steve Montador, the former Chicago Blackhawks defenceman and expectant father who was found dead in his home on Sunday, was a plaintiff in the concussion case against the NHL, TSN has confirmed.[/size]

He will never watch his baby grow up nor would that baby have their father.  So sad.[/size]

About a month from being a father, the article detailed.

###### everything about that.

What a truly horrible hand to be dealt. Very sad.

How can you die of natural causes at 35? Nothing natural about that.

A friend of mine died at roughly the same age of heart attack, so it does happen. He wasn't an athlete but he wasn't in terrible shape either. Saddest part was he was a father for only a few days when it happened.

A friend of mine died at roughly the same age of heart attack, so it does happen. He wasn't an athlete but he wasn't in terrible shape either. Saddest part was he was a father for only a few days when it happened.

That is very sad, sorry to hear but a heart attack at age 35 is not really natural is it? Terrible to die so young.

That is very sad, sorry to hear but a heart attack at age 35 is not really natural is it? Terrible to die so young.

Sadly, more so than hopefully you will ever know. When my brother passed at a young age I was talking to a hospital director who put it perspective.

Men between the ages of 35-45 believe they are still indestructible. Eat, drink what ever than want, never go to the doctor, play sports like they are 10-15 younger. Then wham, hopefully just a wake up call, but in many cases they don't get a second chance.

Women, because of having babies, have been to a doctor regularly, have learned how to eat well, proper exercise, moderate their alcohol consumption, all for the babies sake. Therefore less change of dying of natural causes at such a young age.

RIP Steve

Edited by Woods-Racer

If it happened to be Gretzky or Lemieux this happened too, then you would definitely see something done. NHL only cares about the star players. And that is sad to say.

Not to get off track here because of all the speculation on the cause of death but the league didn't do anything when Sidney Crosby got whacked in the Winter Classic.  So I'm not sure you are supported in your statement there.

I won't go into much more on concussion.  Point is.. unless you play an All-Star Game style of play you can't eliminate the problem.

It's nice to hear all of the amazing things that former teammates are saying about Montador.  Sounds like a very true person.  Not enough of those in this world and now there's one less.

You can't lay all the blame on the NHL or any another professional league/sport. Sure, certain measures may be taken, but to what extent? I teach/coach for a living. Today, all students participating in a secondary education sport are required to sign a form covering concussions. Provides symptoms, signs to be observed by teammates, parents and coaches, what may happen if a child continues to play w/ a concussion or returns to soon, etc... Parents are to sign the form to show they have reviewed the information and are aware that a release by a medical doctor is required before a student may return to play. The point I'm making is concussions are being taken seriously and it starts at the very bottom. And let me add this is for all sports....even cross country. 

Edited by thanes16

You can't lay all the blame on the NHL or any another professional league/sport. Sure, certain measures may be taken, but to what extent? I teach/coach for a living. Today, all students participating in a secondary education sport are required to sign a form covering concussions. Provides symptoms, signs to be observed by teammates, parents and coaches, what may happen if a child continues to play w/ a concussion or returns to soon, etc... Parents are to sign the form to show they have reviewed the information and are aware that a release by a medical doctor is required before a student may return to play. The point I'm making is concussions are being taken seriously and it starts at the very bottom. And let me add this is for all sports....even cross country.

That's good. 1 of the most debilitating concussions that someone I knew received came when a middle schooler running cross country lost his footing on a narrow part and ran right into a tree at full speed. Took him months to get over the headaches.

This is good stuff.

What I will say is that there appears to have been windows of time for all the major pro sports leagues where concussions were becoming much more prevalent, yet their effects and advised course of recovery were very poorly (if at all) understood. 

Much of Montador's career occurred during a time when guys merely got their bells rung, eggs scrambled, etc. Things have changed now. And that's a very good thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mixed information here. Was Steve's issue drugs and alcohol, concussions or "mental health"? All are mentioned in the text under the video. Or some combination?

I'm left wanting more, as powerful as this was. What are we supposed to do now?

It's okay everyone, a few more 1 game suspensions and the head hit problem will be fully resolved!

The Wilson hit on Visnovsky in the Caps-Islanders series shows how tough it is to get concussions out of the game. Bigger opponent with speed (Wilson) doesn't actually charge Visnovsky (although he got a penalty for it), keeps his elbows down, doesn't leap and doesn't target the head (Visnovsky throws on the brakes at the last second and almost crouches, so you can't blame Wilson for the contact with his head). You still end up with a guy with concussion history out of the series, for Game 5 anyway.

As much as I could not care less about big hits like that, how do you take that hit out of the game and still have, uh, hockey?

Mixed information here. Was Steve's issue drugs and alcohol, concussions or "mental health"? All are mentioned in the text under the video. Or some combination?

I'm left wanting more, as powerful as this was. What are we supposed to do now?

I got the impression from stuff I've read previously that depression was an issue before that concussion, but the aftermath of the concussion made it worse.

Edited by weave

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.