Puck Daddy says GMTM's desire for Luke Richardson as coach

SDS

Vancouver didn't trade him because they had too many centres, and really you can never have too many centres, because they can often be converted to the wing when needed.

They traded Cody because him, his agent and his dad were too much baggage and drama to deal with.  Gillis said himself that he spent more time on "Cody issues" then the rest of the teams issues combined.  

Cody wanted to play a bigger role on the team right out of the gate without paying his dues, and the team was simply too stacked at that time for it to happen.  There was also bad blood with management/coaches over the assessment of a back injury he had.  

Unfortunately Kassian hasnt worked out much better here.  The difference is that I dont feel Kassian has been given the opportunity to succeed here, which I am assuming Cody has in Buffalo.  It sucks because I really like Kassian and the way he plays..

Except that he was #2 in points in 2012-13, and the team leader in points last year despite missing 10 games. 

Except that he was #2 in points in 2012-13, and the team leader in points last year despite missing 10 games

Team leader in points with 44, wow...so sorry I apologize.

Kassian had close to the same amount of points compared to TOI as Cody last season, and that was without getting much of any power play time.  I guess Kassian is a stud on the Canucks too, I retract my criticism.

Edited by NucksFan82

Kassian had close to the same amount of points compared to TOI as Cody last season, and that was without getting much of any power play time.  I guess Kassian is a stud on the Canucks too, I retract my criticism.

It's all relative. The Sabres were the worst offensive team in 78 years last year. So 23G/27A over an 82 game pace is pretty damn good. 

Here is the thing about Kassian... he doesn't have the heart.  I don't think Cody does either.  At the end of the day I would rather have Nick Deslauriers over Zack Kassian.

Here is the thing about Kassian... he doesn't have the heart.  I don't think Cody does either.  At the end of the day I would rather have Nick Deslauriers over Zack Kassian.

:D  At the end of the day I would rather have Nicky D. over half the current forwards, we probably won't score more goals, but it be some fun hockey to watch!

Edited by Woods-Racer

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but Elliotte Friedman was on Marek/Wyshinski last Friday.  In addition to a lengthy discussion on the Kane/Myers trade, he said that it's pretty clear that Nolan will be let go after this season.

Did he have any inside information on that, or was he just reading the tea leaves like everyone else  not named D4rk or Sizzle?

Did he have any inside information on that, or was he just reading the tea leaves like everyone else  not named D4rk or Sizzle?

He didn't say "my sources with the Sabres tell me" -- but I think he said something like "it's obvious" and he may have said "widespread opinion around the league."

Friedman is generally very solid.  I'm more convinced than ever that Nolan is gone very shortly after the season ends.

He didn't say "my sources with the Sabres tell me" -- but I think he said something like "it's obvious" and he may have said "widespread opinion around the league."

Friedman is generally very solid.  I'm more convinced than ever that Nolan is gone very shortly after the season ends.

And Ted is starting to act like it, innit? (My first innit, hope I nailed it.) He was on WGR this morning and was as outspoken as I've heard him about Hodgson and Larsson. I think he GZF right now too and might be positioning himself for the next gig. Could be an interesting rest of the season for tea-leaf readers.

And Ted is starting to act like it, innit? (My first innit, hope I nailed it.) He was on WGR this morning and was as outspoken as I've heard him about Hodgson and Larsson. I think he GZF right now too and might be positioning himself for the next gig. Could be an interesting rest of the season for tea-leaf readers.

Next gig? More coaching in countries that are the size of New Jersey?

Crushed it.

I hear the rumors about Richardson too. Don't know if it's such a smart idea to hire a first-time NHL coach. We're already behind the 8 ball with his lack of experience. IMO There's too steep a learning curve for a guy to step in with "minor league team masquerading as an NHL squad" (Daryl Dobber). Even if he was a d-man in the NHL for 21 years and is 6'4 220.

The Sabres can't do anything right ever since Pegula put on his tin foil hat as captain of the ship, particularly their player development. They rely too much on youngsters and then ruin them. I'm afraid that's what happened with Myers and that's what's happening w Risto and Zadorov and will probably happen with Reinhart and McEichel. Because the rest of their players are a piece of crap, they over-rely on the youngsters. The youngsters get a mouthful of losing and their careers are ruined with bad habits, attitudes and expectations of losing.

Edited by 716

I hear the rumors about Richardson too. Don't know if it's such a smart idea to hire a first-time NHL coach. We're already behind the 8 ball with his lack of experience. IMO There's too steep a learning curve for a guy to step in with "minor league team masquerading as an NHL squad" (Daryl Dobber). Even if he was a d-man in the NHL for 21 years and is 6'4 220.

The Sabres can't do anything right ever since Pegula put on his tin foil hat as captain of the ship, particularly their player development. They rely too much on youngsters and then ruin them. I'm afraid that's what happened with Myers and that's what's happening w Risto and Zadorov and will probably happen with Reinhart and McEichel. Because the rest of their players are a piece of crap, they over-rely on the youngsters. The youngsters get a mouthful of losing and their careers are ruined with bad habits, attitudes and expectations of losing.

Wow, ruined careers even before either has finished one complete season!

Step away from the ledge, my friend.  Two seasons of tanking sucks to watch as fans, but with halfway decent coaching (i.e., teaching proper positioning, puck control, and an actual system) and better talent, these dark days will recede into history.

I do not believe that a coach has to have prior NHL HC experience in order to be successful.  In fact, the Old Boy Network results in way too many retreads being repeatedly hired. 

Give me an innovative, talented coach, even if young or unknown, over a "name" with stale ideas any day!

And do not give up on the kids.  The kids are alright!

First, I think Nolan's toast. You don't coach two years and have historically bad records and goal scoring futility and last.

If the Sabres go with a coach without NHL experience I'd like to see a Fred Shero/Bob Johnson type. A guy who has paid his dues in the minor leagues, who has won championships at different levels, who knows what it takes,  ad inifinitum.

Reading about Luke, there isn't much that's outstanding there in his coaching experience. He has only been coaching since 2012. He has 44-24 records in 2012-13 and 2013-14, that's about it. No championships. Now he's 20-24, in last place, with that team. It's just that he was in the Ottawa organization, Murray has familiarity with him and he's a hometown Ottawa native. That's probably why Murray picked up Andre Benoit as well. He was with the Sens. Nepotism, what has done the Sabres in, year in, year out might be back in style.

Edited by 716

Nolan may very well be gone after this season.  I think that would be a mistake and highly unfair but we are talking about the Sabres and the NHL.  As to all of the speculation about Nolan being gone, no one is saying that they have been told that Nolan will be gone.  It appears that they are basing their opinions and reporting on what they "think" would usually happen with a team that was this bad and went through a 14 game losing streak.  This team isn't in a normal situation, they were meant and designed to lose.  Normally the coach would have been let go when the losing streak reached double digits.  This Sabres team isn't normal.

Terry didn't want another unproven coach for his Bills. He wanted someone who's been around, has a name. He said that. He said that. And he got it. Of course he didn't meddle. He doesn't meddle. What does he want for the Sabres? He admires the Wings and Pens. He admires the Pens so much his braintrust is chock full of former Pens execs. I assume he wants Bylsma or Babcock. I imagine he'll get it. What Murray wants won't matter. He's just the GM. /realitycheck

First, I think Nolan's toast. You don't coach two years and have historically bad records and goal scoring futility and last.

If the Sabres go with a coach without NHL experience I'd like to see a Fred Shero/Bob Johnson type. A guy who has paid his dues in the minor leagues, who has won championships at different levels, who knows what it takes,  ad inifinitum.

Reading about Luke, there isn't much that's outstanding there in his coaching experience. He has only been coaching since 2012. He has 44-24 records in 2012-13 and 2013-14, that's about it. No championships. Now he's 20-24, in last place, with that team. It's just that he was in the Ottawa organization, Murray has familiarity with him and he's a hometown Ottawa native. That's probably why Murray picked up Andre Benoit as well. He was with the Sens. Nepotism, what has done the Sabres in, year in, year out might be back in style.

When has this ever happened with the Sabres?

Terry didn't want another unproven coach for his Bills. He wanted someone who's been around, has a name. He said that. He said that. And he got it. Of course he didn't meddle. He doesn't meddle. What does he want for the Sabres? He admires the Wings and Pens. He admires the Pens so much his braintrust is chock full of former Pens execs. I assume he wants Bylsma or Babcock. I imagine he'll get it. What Murray wants won't matter. He's just the GM. /realitycheck

With all these meddling charges, you're setting yourself up to have to pray at the altar of Terry of the Sabres become good.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.