Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

Bogosian to me was an ingenious pick up as a replacement for Myers since he fits better with the team in the long run.

Even if he never puts up the points Myers does, he'll be a rock on defense for years to come and during the playoffs you can never have too many rocks who can still move. Risto and Zadorov are better off with Bogosian here than they were with Myers since Bogosian can take on harder defensive challenges, like Crosby, so the young guns don't have to be baptized in fire. Though I think the thing I like the most about him is that he has no less heart than Myers but adds grit. Myers' grit was rare and typically required someone pissing him off. And most of his grit was questionable due to his inexperience with play a more physical style. Bogo obviously knows how to be physical.

Hockey IQ wise, I think Bogo has a slight advantage. Myers probably has a bit more offensively savvy but he seems to make at least a couple screw-ups a game in terms of getting burned due to his offensive mindset. Bogo while not quite as offensive zone gifted, seems to understand the whole rink rather than 1 zone. As in Bogosian can make more educated guesses in terms of when to step up and when not to than Myers. Bogo gets out of position due to hits occasionally, but that typically means he out of position briefly and still has a man, not giving up on-man rushes quite as often either.

If I had to rate them

Myers IQ- Offense 7, Defense 5, Neutral Zone 6, the Full rink 4  

Bogo IQ -  Offense 6, Defense 6.5, Neutral Zone, 6, the Full rink 6

Offensively Myers is more talented, and further along but Bogosian seems to only need more work and experience to create an offensive game of his own.

Bogo reminds me a bit of Brett Seabrook of Chicago, plays a heavy 2-way game, knows how to get shots onto the net or to a place good for a tip. 

Bogosian has a heavy shot, and it's accurate. Get a PP of Eichel, Kane and Moulson up front and Bogosian is going to put up an extra 10 points in that alone.

Murray is identifying guys who play a heavy game, and have confidence and/or talent. Bogosian is a very sharp guy and is a rock on the ice and funny off. Kane gets a little glitzy off the ice but he is all you want on it. These guys 5 years from now are the types who will have won you a cup. Zadorov is the same type of personality.....he just needs to wake up a bit. The biggest improvement I have seen this year is in Ennis and Foligno. Ted Nolan for all the crap he takes....these two guys really blossomed in confidence and Foligno's effort became more consistant the end of the year. Larsson has a good attitude and will be a nice 4th liner. Deslauries is a gem of a 4th liner and PK. Girgensons is now considered untouchable.....who was his coach the past 2 years on all teams? Ristolainen was healthy scratched and people complained. He woke up the last 20 games and played a more responsible game in his own end while still pushing it on O.

You have almost all the weak minds off of this team. I'm glad they hung onto Ennis because I didn't think he would make it, but his effort and production was a nice surprise.

This is why I missed you. (But Larsson will be better than the fourth line, IMO)

I just made the Schoeny/Bogo comparison a day or two ago on another thread. The similarities are eerie.

I've always liked Zach, but the way he played Crosby in the Pittsburgh finale really sealed the deal for me.

Can't wait to watch him in the playoffs.

Bogosian was diving in his own zone to clear a puck at the end of that Pens game. I think he may be the eventual captain if the team as a whole progresses the next few years.

We haven't seen a guy with his size, smoothness, talent, and grit on the backend in forever. He has Zhitnik's skillset and plug body, with Schoenfeld's edge and positioning. Myers was Petr Svboda meets Mike Wilson.

I wish Roby was still on the broadcast team, because he would be circling him on the telestrator almost every game then have to call his doctor because it was more than 4 hours......

Oustanding!

Needless to say, I agree with your assessment of Bogo entirely. His effort vs. the Penguins, especially near the end, reminded me of Girgensons blocking shots when his team was down by 11 goals in the third period. You simply can't teach or coach that kind of hockey character. I doubt Myers will ever reach his level on the D side of things. I don't care how much offense he brings, he's not a winger, and so it's a wash for what he give up in his own end. 

GO SABRES!!!

This is why I missed you. (But Larsson will be better than the fourth line, IMO)

I just made the Schoeny/Bogo comparison a day or two ago on another thread. The similarities are eerie.

I've always liked Zach, but the way he played Crosby in the Pittsburgh finale really sealed the deal for me.

Can't wait to watch him in the playoffs.

May I ask why he's like Schoney, I'm too young to actually know anything more than that he's good

May I ask why he's like Schoney, I'm too young to actually know anything more than that he's good

IMHO, Schoney knew that you had to do a lot of things, some little some big, to be a complete defenseman and help the team win.  He passionately tried to do everything he could to be the best at all of them.  He didn't always succeed, but you couldn't question his resolve or his desire.  And he never backed down from anyone, whether it was their top line forward or enforcer, he accepted the challenge.  

Edited by 3putt

He was a warrior, but with a skill set to match up with the toughest and most skilled guys on the other side.

Think everything you like about Mike Weber, then take away everything you don't like about Mike Weber.

IMHO, Schoney knew that you had to do a lot of things, some little some big, to be a complete defenseman and help the team win.  He passionately tried to do everything he could to be the best at all of them.  He didn't always succeed, but you couldn't question his resolve or his desire.  And he never backed down from anyone, whether it was their top line forward or enforcer, he accepted the challenge.  

This may be one of the best questions I have ever seen here.

It's a humble wookie..... good job.

He was a warrior, but with a skill set to match up with the toughest and most skilled guys on the other side.

Think everything you like about Mike Weber, then take away everything you don't like about Mike Weber.

So a more overall skilled Mike Weber with even more heart somehow.

This is all you need to know.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83gqkqGQH6U

There is a lot more, but this is really it.

That was awesome, I remember seeing that before because my NaNa and PaPa were at the game. They were my great-grandparents tickets and they literally sat next to the tunnel. Occasionally they 'd inadvertently stall the Sabres coming on to the ice because the only way to their seats was across the team's path.

Edited by thewookie1

So a more overall skilled Mike Weber with even more heart somehow.

That was awesome, I remember seeing that before because my NaNa and PaPa were at the game. They were my great-grandparents tickets and they literally sat next to the tunnel. Occasionally they 'd inadvertently stall the Sabres coming on to the ice because the only way to their seats was across the team's path.

Waaaaayyyyyyy more than Weber.  Much more well rounded player.  Played the powerplay. 

I was actually at the game where Schoeny fought Cashman in the runway. Going strictly on memory (I could look it up but what fun is that?!), I think he also fought Vadnais AND Bobby Orr in the same game. And I think the Sabres won the game. Great memories!

Schoenfeld was sturdy, tough and a leader. He was not a great skater, and was known to sometimes take himself out of position to make big hits. Nevertheless, he was in many ways the heart and soul of the mid 70's Sabres. Although the skill sets are different, if Bogo could become that to the Sabres now, getting a productive Kane would just be icing on the cake for the trade.

I feel that Bogo will fill the bill. Love his game so far.

Schoenfeld was named captain a couple of years after getting drafted. I believe Gare wore the C a few years later. Not sure why Schoney lost it. He was a heart and soul player. Was the same way as a coach, wanting to scrap with other coaches and calling referee Koharski a fat pig.

Edited by French Collection

Ghost of Dwight Drane, on 23 Apr 2015 - 2:14 PM, said:

Bogosian was diving in his own zone to clear a puck at the end of that Pens game. I think he may be the eventual captain if the team as a whole progresses the next few years.

We haven't seen a guy with his size, smoothness, talent, and grit on the backend in forever. He has Zhitnik's skillset and plug body, with Schoenfeld's edge and positioning. Myers was Petr Svboda meets Mike Wilson.

I wish Roby was still on the broadcast team, because he would be circling him on the telestrator almost every game then have to call his doctor because it was more than 4 hours......

Yep. Though if he ends up a Zhitnik that can send the puck toward the little net w/ the regularity that Z hit the big one, he'll be the Sabres best D-man this century.

Skilled & nasty. They haven't had that since the big lockout.

• 2 months later...
Myers was Petr Svboda meets Mike Wilson.

For those of us old enough to see both play, that is a classic. :worthy:   Myers is a guy that may never reach his potential with all his physical gifts.  Reminds me of Paul Cyr.  Cyr could skate like the wind, crush people, fight, had a slapper second only to Rico, and could never put it together.

Edited by Tondas