Better call Saul

bunomatic

It was a pretty decent curve to have Jimmy taking the job at Davis & Main.

You do realize I was being totally sarcastic. Gilligan is king of the curve ball. He had us all convinced Jimmy was making the turn toward the dark side (as symbolically illustrated when he turned away from the sun at the end of season one). Nobody I know saw him still toeing the line to open this season. And that is fine with me. It would suck to be able to predict everything in the arc of a story.

After last week, he's still straight up doing whatever he wants. He convinced everyone in the room except for the two people that know him best.

And why didn't he ask Clifford about the commercial? Was he afraid of rejection or just preferred to go out on limb?

I think that was insecure Jimmy who doesn't think he belongs and probably has Chuck in his head from time to time.

Goddamn this show is great. Its amazing how they're playing this Mike storyline almost completely separate from Jimmy's.

On the surface, here's this legal drama/comedy about a semi-crooked lawyer trying to play it straight...kind of. That could have been enough for a show. Jimmy/Saul is a good enough character to hold that for a season or two. Or maybe you have him heel turn right at the end of the first season, or beginning of the second, for Saul. Could have done it all w/o Mike and it would have been fine. 

But having Mike's story happen parallel to Jimmy is what makes it something more. Its the opposite story. Ex-cop trying to break into crime...kind of. He's dipping his toe, trying to stay out of the deep end. Of course, if you've seen Breaking Bad (after this point I assume you have.........ok, enough warning) you know he won't. He will fail to stay on the light side of dark.

And thats what makes it even better. We know the end. We know how these two characters end up. We know what they become. Making the story of how they get there, and making it compelling, and at the same time humorous without being silly, is goddamned impressive.

Edited by sabills

Great review sabills. I wonder if Mike is finding a way to punish himself for "breaking his boy." When Nacho asked Mike why he took such a senseless beating, Mike just turned, revealing his "good side," and walked away. Great scene.

Somewhat disagree, I think Mike sees a parallel with Nacho and his son. Mike understands what offing Tuco likely means for Nacho. He is making his decision for him.

He didn't off him though. He kicked the can down the road.

As Mike mentioned, offing Tuco would have put Nacho in an extremely difficult position. This is a long-game approach as things can change in the years Tuco spends behind bars. Don't forget that this is not all charity as Mike did receive prize money following his one-sided boxing match.  

Somewhat disagree, I think Mike sees a parallel with Nacho and his son. Mike understands what offing Tuco likely means for Nacho. He is making his decision for him.

Another parallel that I think is interesting is the emerging one between Mike "now," i.e. during the BCS era, and Walter White in the BB era -- i.e. Mike is starting to break bad due to pressing family-driven economic concerns, just like Walter will.

Also -- Nacho is a great character.

Also -- I liked the big argument scene between Jimmy and Chuck.  In the abstract, it didn't need to get that heated, that quickly, and Chuck probably could've explained the other lawyers' concerns to Jimmy in a calm, reasonable way that might've been effective -- but brothers usually don't argue in a calm, reasonable way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.