The Dominik Hasek # retirement ceremony

LGR4GM

So, to sum up, what I think a lot of this angst boils down to is that we want to see the first-class franchise that this storied and glorious hockey town deserves. It may be on its way, but talk about baby steps. Just do something right. One thing. Show us what number retirements look like in Toronto, Detroit, Montreal and even Anaheim, not what they've always looked like in Buffalo. And for those who think this is the way Dom wanted it, it must also have been the way Patty and Danny wanted it, too. Everybody deserves a lot better than what we've been getting. When will this franchise rise up and truly live up to its creed?

The only team that is going to have better ceremonies than Anaheim is the Kings. I bet there were 6 world class lighting directors who said they would do Teemu's for free just to get it on their reel.

I came in following the sabres to late, to be a true hasek fan. I have seen all the youtube videos, but its not the same.

I did come in time to see Ryan miller get his first start though, and if we ever get a goalie like miller back , I'd be very happy at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBU0h-7wVD8

doubt we'll see a goalie ever do this again though where the refs and broadcasters are even like: Is this in the rulebook ?

Edited by Heimdall

I didn't see the ceremony but it sounded like amateur hour. In all truth, only Hasek and Perreault's numbers should've been retired, although I love Martin. The rest is the mark of a chronically badly managed organization desperate to give itself a pat on the back. Robert was certainly ok and he contributed but he rode Perreault and Martin's coattails... Lafontaine was spectacular--for the three or so years he was here. Gare? Puhlease! Horton was loved but he was in Buffalo for all of about one year and the reason his was retired was his sudden death.The irony of the Hasek situation is Buffalo acquired him for nothing and in the end, they got nothing for him. His acquisition, like Perreault, was not the mark of any kind of managerial wizardry. It was the mark of pure luck, management who just fell into the situation. And they just keep falling, mainly into the mud.

Edited by 716

People are selling the banners for about $30 on eBay.

The $20 pucks are $50+ on there.

Maybe I'm weird but it's strange to me. The thought never occurred to me that I could buy a charity puck and sell it for profit (or a bunch of them). I saw some of the banners left behind under seats after the game - didn't realize they were worth $30 each or more.

People are selling the banners for about $30 on eBay.

The $20 pucks are $50+ on there.

Maybe I'm weird but it's strange to me. The thought never occurred to me that I could buy a charity puck and sell it for profit (or a bunch of them). I saw some of the banners left behind under seats after the game - didn't realize they were worth $30 each or more.

I was going to be snarky and say, yeah, but who's buying them? Turns out they're selling very briskly at that price! Wow.

The ceremony wasn't spectacular, but I assume that was by request. Most organisations go for the Lidstrom-Red Wings style (which was a great retirement one). Plus it kind of loses something that he left Buffalo 14 years ago. That is not really anyone's fault, but still odd (basically anyone 25 and below in the stadium may not remember him play)

I have a banner that I am happy to trade for scans (or actual) 300 level tickets from the Nov. 14 games against the Leafs and the Penguins. Long story...

I remember that double-header well. My tickets were central to my defense that I didn't kill the old lady.

Now tell us your story.

I had no problem with the ceremony. Of course it looked like ###### on the heels of the Selanne extravaganza.... which, imo, was way way over the top. A 90-minute ceremony? Ridiculous. He was a hockey player, not the second coming of JC himself. That said, it was the Ducks first jersey number to go up in the rafters, so it was a special moment.

I had no problem with the ceremony. Of course it looked like ###### on the heels of the Selanne extravaganza.... which, imo, was way way over the top. A 90-minute ceremony? Ridiculous. He was a hockey player, not the second coming of JC himself. That said, it was the Ducks first jersey number to go up in the rafters, so it was a special moment.

I posted the Lidstrom ceremony earlier. Same kind of thing. When you have one of the best to ever play.. you honor him properly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.