2015 IIHF World Juniors

WildCard

Of all the players, I'm enjoying watching Samson. He's been really good, and I especially like that he goes in tight to the crease a lot. His timing and positioning there are notable.

So far, from what I've seen I would prefer Eichel over McDavid.

Of all the players, I'm enjoying watching Samson. He's been really good, and I especially like that he goes in tight to the crease a lot. His timing and positioning there are notable.

So far, from what I've seen I would prefer Eichel over McDavid.

From three games each in this tourney, me too.

One thing to keep in mind about McDavid vs. Eichel this tournament is Eichel is USA's top center, so he's getting the best wingers and most opportunity. McDavid isn't getting that on Canada because of Samson. Speaking of Samson's wingers, holy cow has Domi been fun to watch.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

One thing to keep in mind about McDavid vs. Eichel this tournament is Eichel is USA's top center, so he's getting the best wingers and most opportunity. McDavid isn't getting that on Canada because of Samson. Speaking of Samson's wingers, holy cow has Domi been fun to watch.

True and with that said Samson has been meshing great with those guys. He anticipated what they will do and then is in a position to help his wingers do it. Reinhart has played really well.

Hmmmm a first line for the Sabres - Reinhart with a guy who can out right fly and incredible skill as well? Could Mitch Marner be the perfect fit for the Sabres if they don't land Eichel or McDavid??

Glad to see Sam excel in this tournament. Doesn't have the speed of his wingers, but plays within his means. He is well positioned at both ends, good on face offs and can dish with the best of them. One TSN announcer (Ray Ferraro) compared him to Igor Larionov. That would be a very good career to have, and would benefit all of the Sabres players he plays with.

Not an Oilers fan but, thinking Draisaitl would be better in Junior and then this tournament. Even though Germany sucks, he would be a star and regain some confidence.

Ya Samson has been great. I think you need wingers that can battle in the corners to help get the puck but his vision is second to none. He really is one of those guys where if you just casually watch him you are left wondering what the hype is about but if you watch closely he is always making the right play. I haven't seen him with one missed pass this whole tourney. Also been very good on the draw which the Sabres have been lacking for awhile.

Sam's face off skills were not NHL level for his 9 games but it's an area where his improvement can really help the Sabres. I would like to think Tim, Ted and Trots told him this part of his game needed work. Hope he can get a bit bigger too, 10 more pounds would make him harder to knock off the puck.

Larionov is a great Reinhart comparison.

Domi has been outstanding, but the wingers excuse for McDavid doesn't wash.

Lazar is Canada's captain and best two-way player. Ritchie is their best power forward.

They get lots of PP time and (because of Samson's line) face second-pair checkers.

Tuch has been very good on Eichel's wing, but the other side has been a revolving door.

And they get top checkers all the time.

Ya I completely agree that you cannot use the wingers as an excuse when playing on a stacked team. To make the point even more clear, McDavid is playing with Nic Petan on his other wing and not Ritchie (by the way Ritchie is way over rated IMO). Petan is a great player so there is no excuse. McDavid looks ok out there but I thought he would be more game changing. Possibly still getting back into the swing of things after being off for so long with that injury?

Glad to see Sam excel in this tournament. Doesn't have the speed of his wingers, but plays within his means. He is well positioned at both ends, good on face offs and can dish with the best of them. One TSN announcer (Ray Ferraro) compared him to Igor Larionov. That would be a very good career to have, and would benefit all of the Sabres players he plays with.

Not an Oilers fan but, thinking Draisaitl would be better in Junior and then this tournament. Even though Germany sucks, he would be a star and regain some confidence.

Welcome to the board. Where are you in Northern Ontario?

I was listening to the TSN (radio) post-game and someone compared Samson to Ronnie Francis. I was practically orgasmic ... and that's sayin' something, since I'm an old guy.

Near North Bay.

Francis was good, a bigger body than Sam, but a similar skating style. Was the go to guy for many years in Hartford/Carolina but is best remembered for Penguin Cup teams. Second line minutes suited him.

Larionov was cerebral, hence the nickname professor. Sam has that aura too. Larionov was never the go to guy but was a top six player for close to 20 years (Soviet and NHL) who made everyone a better player. Lasted a long time because of his brains.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.