Sabres are ruining Murray's plan---what does he do??

matter2003

That latter part is what many, I think, are not really considering when we all argue about the merit of a generational player. Kopitar may have one more Cup that Crosby, but I know which one I'd rather watch 82+ times per year.

Anyway, I won't be upset if we miss out on McEichel. But I'll be quite disappointed if we drop out of the top-5. Either way, I don't plan on crying onto the forum for a year.

I'm excited that you're going to take one year off from crying to the Forum.

This is starting to get to a turning point quickly. The Sabres keep racking up wins and are currently only 4 points out of a playoff spot. That was almost inconceivable when the season started and especially after the first 15 games.

Edmonton might not win 10 more games this year. Their goaltending is beyond awful. If the Sabres keep winning they might not be able to tank bad enough the rest of the season no matter how badly they play to have Edmonton pass them.

I don't know what the right answer is...the team is playing inspired and clearly believes in themselves to a much greater degree than they did at the start of the season. They are starting to look in some ways similar to Nolan's "Hardest Working Team in Hockey" that made it to the playoffs with Hasek in goal...

Are they really playing inspired?

I linked to an article on the previous page that explains it in more detail but the cliff note version is: unsustainable goal tending and scoring numbers, they rarely carry play, and are generally outshout by ridiculous margins.

As anti-tank as I am, the numbers all point to them falling back to earth relatively soon.

Noah Hanafin would not be a waste of a 3rd overall pick. It would give us literally the best group of 4 guys in the entire league. Myers, Risto, Zadorov, Hanafin.

I think we finish 6th worse and win the lottery.

Drafting Hanafin would allow GMTM to trade Risto, Zad or Hanafin for a scoring forward without weakening the D Corps. And if they finish 6th and win the lottery, I will gladly buy you a case of beer in celebration.

I certainly don't want to speak for other pro-tankers, but regardless of outcome, it ends for me the day the season ends. Even if we "blow it" I'm not going to lament it for years on end. Next year it's time to start winning some games.

The Tank ends for me April 11, 2015.

That latter part is what many, I think, are not really considering when we all argue about the merit of a generational player. Kopitar may have one more Cup that Crosby, but I know which one I'd rather watch 82+ times per year.

Anyway, I won't be upset if we miss out on McEichel. But I'll be quite disappointed if we drop out of the top-5. Either way, I don't plan on crying onto the forum for a year.

I would be OK with a top five pick

Or what if they actually make the playoff yet lose in the first round. Is that good? Would that be better for this team's future than finishing last?

If I had a choice this year, I would choose a last place finish every time.

Are they really playing inspired?

I linked to an article on the previous page that explains it in more detail but the cliff note version is: unsustainable goal tending and scoring numbers, they rarely carry play, and are generally outshout by ridiculous margins.

As anti-tank as I am, the numbers all point to them falling back to earth relatively soon.

The team is definitely playing inspired. Except Stafford. "Expired" is a better word for him.

I certainly don't want to speak for other pro-tankers, but regardless of outcome, it ends for me the day the season ends. Even if we "blow it" I'm not going to lament it for years on end. Next year it's time to start winning some games.

Same here. When the chips fall where they may it's over for me and the tank. At that point I will begin looking forward to building a strong team year in and year out with whatever we have on hand. But for the next few months I will remain laser focused on the Shart and will offer no apologies for doing so.

If, however, McEichel ends up here in Carolina I can make no promises about how much I'll rant about that. I'll be extremely pissed off if that comes to pass. If it's not meant to be for Buffalo, please hockey gods I implore you, send McEichel out west.

Ditto

1) Hasek

2) Hasek

3) Those teams were far from loaded talent-wise, but I think they had a good chunk more than this group.

4) Hasek

Pat Lafontaine and Hasek are the only differences I see. Granted, those are very sizeable differences. When Patty was hurt, the skaters were pretty similar IMO.

I might be getting my timeline messed up, but Peca and Satan? Or was that before they hit their stride?

Peca came back from Vancouver in the Mogilny trade when Muckler started his quick rebuild in the summer of 95. Satan didn't arrive until near the trade deadline in 97.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.