Sabres are ruining Murray's plan---what does he do??

matter2003

If I'm Murray, sitting in his position with the assets he has to work with, I'm a buyer working the phones trying to raid some if the rosters of the bottom feeder teams (ie edmonton) and teams looking for cap room (Kings, Hawks, and Bruins). The only asset off the table is their own #1 pick and some of the young guys.

I'm not making g the moves looking at this season, but setting myself up for next year and forward.

This should happen this summer and during next season, but not this year. It's one season too soon. Complete the tank, walk away with either McDavid or Eichel, maybe trade the STL and NYI picks for bodies and the rebuild is on. If they screw it up and don't get McEichel and end up picking 3rd - 10th I'm not sure you trade one or both of those picks.

I think it's pretty probable (as in 100%) that they get one of McDavid or Eichel if they finish last this year. Future, not so much with the upcoming changes.

I know. I've already been corrected. I thought that changed this year; it actually doesn't change till next year.

First of all, there is no way to guarantee who will be available in the draft as long as the lottery system is in place. I believe McDavid and Eichel are unlikely to be drafted by Buffalo unless a lottery miracle happens. Therefore, why worry about it? You just have to play the hand dealt to you. Here is what I know for sure at this point: the Sabres have three 1st round picks in 2015. They will hopefully get 3 top players with those picks in this deep draft. In addition, Murray will deal away UFA's rather than get nothing in return. This should add assets to the team. In addition, there is still some dead weight on the roster that can be dealt for assets.

My guess is that Murray will package draft picks and player(s) to acquire established player(s). I don't believe he will keep all three 1st round picks.

The jury is still out on Murray until we can legitimately evaluate his actions separate from Darcy Regier's actions. The assets acquired by Regier were huge, but it is up to Murray to use them wisely. Time will tell. I am optimistic and hopeful for the future if Murray succeeds, but it is still too early to know how it will play out.

But if you wait to make the changes til the summer/next season you might be missing out on some better deals. The Cap may put teams in positions to sell some talent, and right now the Sabres have the cap space to make moves, also by the summer or next season a team like the Oilers may have already made their move to sell off a good former top of the draft pick. This idea that they need to wait to make a move cause they could lose out on not picking #1 overall, or the teams not ready to compete is the type of thinking that will cost this team if the stars in the sky don't line up perfectly for them. You make the moves when they are available to be made. And right now is a good time to start looking at raiding some teams rosters for upgrades.

But if you wait to make the changes til the summer/next season you might be missing out on some better deals. The Cap may put teams in positions to sell some talent, and right now the Sabres have the cap space to make moves, also by the summer or next season a team like the Oilers may have already made their move to sell off a good former top of the draft pick. This idea that they need to wait to make a move cause they could lose out on not picking #1 overall, or the teams not ready to compete is the type of thinking that will cost this team if the stars in the sky don't line up perfectly for them. You make the moves when they are available to be made. And right now is a good time to start looking at raiding some teams rosters for upgrades.

Not sure why a team would sell an asset that might give them cap trouble next season during this season. Most of the teams that are expecting cap trouble next year are the stronger teams this year. Not sure why they'd do something that might disrupt this year when those disruptions can be dealt w/ in June.

If a deal is there that makes this team better LT is available, I'd expect TM will be on it. But right now any trade that fits that bill is probably a combination of UFA/RFA's, picks, and young prospects for higher end prospects. Can't see any of the NHL D getting moved because they either fit into LT plans already or are horrible. (Weber being the 1 exception, but what he brings should be fairly replaceable so it wouldn't be expected to fetch much.)

Of the forwards, I'd expect Moulson is in the LT plan, Gionta's in the transition plans, and Ennis & Zemgus aren't going anywhere. The other guys are movable, but do they have enough value today to move them?

I'd expect there's a 75% chance 1 goalie is moved and the other signed LT.

Give Nikita a 2-1/2 week vacation to the WJC's and the tank should be back on nicely w/out torpedoing this team's future.

This team won what, 9 of 12? Losing the bulk of the next 50 or so won't crush the spirit of the guys that'll be back next year. This is not the team we watched for ~17 years. This is kind of becoming the team we watched 19 years ago. But if that goaltending slumps, they can still win 1/2 of a McEichel.

First of all, there is no way to guarantee who will be available in the draft as long as the lottery system is in place. I believe McDavid and Eichel are unlikely to be drafted by Buffalo unless a lottery miracle happens. Therefore, why worry about it? You just have to play the hand dealt to you. Here is what I know for sure at this point: the Sabres have three 1st round picks in 2015. They will hopefully get 3 top players with those picks in this deep draft. In addition, Murray will deal away UFA's rather than get nothing in return. This should add assets to the team. In addition, there is still some dead weight on the roster that can be dealt for assets.

My guess is that Murray will package draft picks and player(s) to acquire established player(s). I don't believe he will keep all three 1st round picks.

The jury is still out on Murray until we can legitimately evaluate his actions separate from Darcy Regier's actions. The assets acquired by Regier were huge, but it is up to Murray to use them wisely. Time will tell. I am optimistic and hopeful for the future if Murray succeeds, but it is still too early to know how it will play out.

If a team finishes last this year, they are guaranteed to pick no lower than 2nd. Therefore they are guaranteed to have a shot at no worse than the 2nd player in the draft (McDavid or Eichel whichever one doesn't go first.) The tank really isn't about getting McDavid. It's about having the chance to get either McDavid or Eichel. Both of which are said to be "generational" type players. Both of which should be something the Sabres have only two of, first line players.

Because of how ###### the Metro division is, there is only one wild card spot available - the other should be wildcard spot is taken by the third slot of the metro division.

We are currently closer to the playoffs (7 points) than we are to being last in the league (8 points).

The Oilers are getting the last spot. You don't recover from this season - their goalies are being run over, screaming at the players on the bench and generally losing faith in their skaters. They don't play as a team or defend one another, and multiple times seem to lack basic awareness of who to cover on the ice. They are going to march to 30th, and probably 4th 1st overall pick in 5 years

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think you mixed up the playoff format a little bit, the last two wild card slots can be taken by any team regardless of division, so there could be the three As, the three Ms, and then two As, if those two Atlantic teams were the two teams with the most points outside of the 6 division spots.

If a team finishes last this year, they are guaranteed to pick no lower than 2nd. Therefore they are guaranteed to have a shot at no worse than the 2nd player in the draft (McDavid or Eichel whichever one doesn't go first.) The tank really isn't about getting McDavid. It's about having the chance to get either McDavid or Eichel. Both of which are said to be "generational" type players. Both of which should be something the Sabres have only two of, first line players.

I dont understand this line.

Zemgus and Ennis are first line players. The Sabres only have two of them. Moulson is more of a second line player. (I think that was what was meant, anyway)

I am not ready to say that Zemgus is a 1st or even a 2nd line player. That being said, I want 6 players who are true top 6 forwards. Mix and match them however you please, but right now this team has maybe two...Ennis and Moulson.

Top 6 potential in the system...

Grigs

Armia

Fasching

Compher

Baptiste

Bailey

Reinhart

Karabacek

...and to a lesser possibility

Carrier

Lemieux

Cornel

Larsson

Hurley

Possler

Olofsson

Plus 3 more 1st round picks, and a high 2nd round pick in 2015 draft.

Is it a lot to ask that out of all these players(whether developed or traded for NHL ready players) plus Ennis, Moulson and Z, can't form a really good top 9, a solid top 6 blueline(Risto, Zadorov, and Co.), and two good goalies by the time 2016 season rolls around?

Zemgus and Ennis are first line players. The Sabres only have two of them. Moulson is more of a second line player. (I think that was what was meant, anyway)

Moulson is the only player who has proven they can play 1st line minutes on a playoff team, so I honestly have no idea where you're coming from. Girgensons and Ennis may be playing on our 1st line, but that's a far cry from being a 1st line player on a good team.

Sabres have played 30 games. 18 home and 12 away. For the most part they have been pretty injury free. I can't see them maintaining this pace. Road losses will mount and by March 1 we will be right in the thick of it. Edmonton, Carolina, and Arizona will still be there. The others will pull away.

The WORST we pick is 4.

Disagree about Carolina. I expect Edmonton and Arizona to be there at the end (along w/ Buffalo) but Carolina will be well out of the basement. They have the 10th best CorsiFor% in the league, and have just been incredibly unlucky through the first third of the season (3-12 or so in one goal games). Cam Ward is heating up and they'll be getting Jordan Staal back next month. They could make a run for a playoff spot.

I dont understand this line.

There appear to be two players in the organization that have the natural skill and ability to be top line, or first line, players. Grigs and Reinhart. maybe Armia as he has improved greatly. Everybody currently on the roster are 2nd line or lower. They may play on the 1st line for the Sabres but on a good team they would be good 2nd or 3rd line players. Of everything I've read on the current prospects none of them are expected to be more than 2nd or 3rd liners. Granted that can change as they mature. That's one of the reasons I think the tank is important. If the prognosticators are correct, McEichel should be a top line player.

Rob, even if you're right this year, the fact that last year was all the same doom and gloom and we finished last anyway, means that we better not get any 'see i told you so' :P :nana:

Last year's doom and gloom was strictly based on the Sabres' legendary history of ruining draft position with pointless late-season runs. Like no matter how bad they were early in the season, they'd always find a way to string together some wins at the end to earn a mediocre draft position.

This year's doom and gloom is based on the fact that this year's team is (1) not dysfunctional (i.e. Edmonton), (2) fights for each other and has chemistry, and (3) has enough talented players that they can get outplayed but still find ways to grind out wins or at least get loser points. We're not bottom of the league material. We're #6 - #10 pick overall material. Oh, the humanity.

The good news is that there are only 51 games left like this. Then I'm done thinking about tanking for at least a decade.

Last year's doom and gloom was strictly based on the Sabres' legendary history of ruining draft position with pointless late-season runs. Like no matter how bad they were early in the season, they'd always find a way to string together some wins at the end to earn a mediocre draft position.

This year's doom and gloom is based on the fact that this year's team is (1) not dysfunctional (i.e. Edmonton), (2) fights for each other and has chemistry, and (3) has enough talented players that they can get outplayed but still find ways to grind out wins or at least get loser points. We're not bottom of the league material. We're #6 - #10 pick overall material. Oh, the humanity.

The good news is that there are only 51 games left like this. Then I'm done thinking about tanking for at least a decade.

I can imagine it.

Are we still this?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.