Sabres @ Canadiens 11/29/2014: 7PM

LGR4GM

Hockey at the forum. Thats usually good for at least one 5 on 3 for the home squad, maybe two. Sabres better show up cause the hockey Gawds are generally a little biased in their favour towards les habs. This wee winning streak sure feels good but I'm afraid we're falling behind in whats important.

That being said, as always. GO SABRES !

I've looked at power play stats over the years and have never been able to establish any basis in fact for a home ref advantage in Montreal. Of course I am not a huge fan of analytics, and the story might be hidden in the timing of calls — Montreal and its opponent might each have four power plays, but that one Montreal power play might be at just the right time. I dunno. I suspect it's an urban legend, at least in recent hockey times.

I can only remember one egregious referee situation up there, so I don't believe there to be a home ice penalty advantage in Montreal. But i remember once, can't even place the year, sometime between 08 and '10, where we were down a goal and on the powerplay, and Pominville skated around behind our net to start to head up the ice, and a Montreal player jabbed his stick right into Pommer's skates as he was leaning and he wiped out and got hurt (not severely), and the ref in the corner watched it happen and stared at Pominville on the ground, then his arm twitched, then he looked up the ice and didn't do a thing. At the time I was all 'Montreal buys the refs' but now I think it was that specific official, whoever he was, and I'm not really sure the motivation behind not calling it.

I've looked at power play stats over the years and have never been able to establish any basis in fact for a home ref advantage in Montreal. Of course I am not a huge fan of analytics, and the story might be hidden in the timing of calls — Montreal and its opponent might each have four power plays, but that one Montreal power play might be at just the right time. I dunno. I suspect it's an urban legend, at least in recent hockey times.

I know, i know. I've seen it a few times when watching Montreal play at home ( not necessarily against the Sabres ) and when it does happen it seemed to me at the time to be at a real opportune time for the Habs which bugs the shite out of me whether deserved or not. I suppose I'm biased in my thoughts on this due to my hate of the habs. Anyways I'm calling it now. They'll get their 5 on 3. Book it.

Montreal was 16th in home power plays last year but first in the lockout-shortened year and third the year before that. But then 17th and 26th. Seems like a normal spread. They were shorthanded the 9th most times last season and the fourth most in 12-13. Meh.

I do wonder if it was true back in the days of the original six or something.

Griffis AFB is on alert, just in case this turns into more than a hockey game. Looks like Air Force brought a couple of ol' buddies out of mothballs, just for this occasion.

PA_F86_F_0030_W.jpg

North American F-86 Sabre

rc_f100_1.jpg

North American F-100 SuperSabre

Get ready to Go Sabres!

Edited by Yuri Olesha

If you watch the game you'll notice Hodgson occasionally, PP specifically because he doesn't play like Girgensons, however if you are only watching the stats sheet you may as well look for BigFoot.

This is the opposite of the truth on Hodgson. He's a pure stat sheet guy. Doesn't do the things that don't show up there well. He's supposed to produce. Doesn't play D.

This is the opposite of the truth on Hodgson. He's a pure stat sheet guy. Doesn't do the things that don't show up there well. He's supposed to produce. Doesn't play D.

Interestingly enough they pointed out a very nice play he made in the D zone last night. While he's not exactly Michael Peca, he's improving.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.