Star Wars - now with SPOILERS! (Read at your own risk)

Robviously

I think people close to my age 35-45 demographic, have star wars woven into our fabric from childhood.

Whatever the last trilogy was called, I could hardly pay attention. Jedi started so great and ended with... Ewoks. Sigh...

Lucas so desperately wanted to keep the kid element, he nearly killed the series with Jar Jar.

Empire really had it moving in the right direction, it was dark, seedy and tough. I think they get back to that atmosphere.

Yup, yup and yup.

It's funny, but if you take out Jar Jar (and maybe half of the pod racing)*, Episode 1 would easily have been the best of the prequel trilogy. The Qui-Gon Jinn/young Obi Wan Kenobi relationship was much better than the Obi Wan/Anakin relationship. Plus, Darth Maul, despite the silly name, made for some great fight scenes ("actor" was really just a martial artist, if I remember correctly.)

* There was an attempt at this called the "Phantom Edit" that was better, but obviously a post edit.

When I go back and watch the original its almost laughable how cheezy the effects seem now. Cutting edge back then but so japanese monster movie looking now. Loved it as a kid but find it hard to get excited now.

I know what you mean but this is near and dear to my heart. Luke, Leia and Han were a part of my childhood.

I have mixed feelings thus far. The universe looks right, the stormtroopers look kickass, and seeing another Sith is always cool. But the Millennium Falcon shot didn't feel like Star Wars, to much like Star Trek. Too many lenses flares and the like. Aside from that, the Stormtrooper guns seem overly detailed; one of the best parts of Star Wars was the guns were simple and looked enough like guns to feel gun-like but not overly detailed.

That's not another Sith ... that is Luke. Everyone in the galaxy is trying to find him. Two factions have zeroed in on his location, and are actively hunting him: the reborn fledgling empire, and the rebuilt republic. The storm troopers you see in the teaser are preparing to jump into what looks like a stormy area. The x-wings are flying low over a mountainous, cloudy region. There's snow on the ground. Luke has been in hiding in one of the most remote corners of the outer-rim since his attempt to repopulate the galaxy with Jedi failed miserably. Almost all of his trainees turned to the dark side. He lost his mind, went into exile, and has been in hiding for the last 20-25 years. This a rescue/destroy mission, depending on whose side you're on.

Or I could have made that all up after watching the trailer about 50 times (that's not an exaggeration ...)

What I am looking forward to is taking my sons to see it. They are just starting to get interested in the movies and toys giving me a great excuse to break out my old stuff.

Also we are in Disney right now and on Friday I showed the boys the trailer. Friday Night we went on Star Tours, (Disney's Star Wars Ride) and my middle son was picked to be the Rebel Spy for our ride and he has not stopped talking about it since.

What I am looking forward to is taking my sons to see it. They are just starting to get interested in the movies and toys giving me a great excuse to break out my old stuff.

Also we are in Disney right now and on Friday I showed the boys the trailer. Friday Night we went on Star Tours, (Disney's Star Wars Ride) and my middle son was picked to be the Rebel Spy for our ride and he has not stopped talking about it since.

Yes I am looking forward to my son picking up the Star Wars series where I left it. He'll be 15 months by then but I'm sure when the DVD comes out he'll be old enough to start appreciating it.

The "black storm trooper" you see is probably going to be the main hero according to some. And somebody also pointed out: when they show the storm troopers one is quite clearly shorter than the rest. Is that "black storm trooper?" (His name is John Boyega btw, and he's a great actor).

The "black storm trooper" you see is probably going to be the main hero according to some. And somebody also pointed out: when they show the storm troopers one is quite clearly shorter than the rest. Is that "black storm trooper?" (His name is John Boyega btw, and he's a great actor).

Yeah, I read somewhere that he is a major character in the story and AWOL or something or other. Sounds like a storm trooper uni is a disguise.

I was 10 when the 1st Star Wars movie hit. Even though too many of them have been underwhelming, I am always excited to see a new Star Wars episode.

On Yahoo apparently some hardcore star wars fans ( I'll call them idiots ) are upset about the black storm trooper featured in one of the trailers. Get out of your moms basement and get a life guys.

This is more a commentary on modern journalism than "hardcore Star Wars fans." A handful of internet comments are racist so those are the ones they're going to focus on in order to make that a story. Good grief.

Has he done enough to earn that great actor label yet? I only saw his brief role in 24 this past year. Looking at his stuff on IMDB, I don't recognize anything else. What has been his claim to fame (can't think of any better way to phrase it) so far?

Has he done enough to earn that great actor label yet? I only saw his brief role in 24 this past year. Looking at his stuff on IMDB, I don't recognize anything else. What has been his claim to fame (can't think of any better way to phrase it) so far?

He got rave reviews for his role in Imperial Dreams. Considered an up-and-comer and some have said he's great in what he's done so far.

Boyega responded to those making racist comments. First he thanked everybody for the love and fan mail. Then to those who were making the comments he just said "get used to it." Seems like a "I'm going to be sticking around" type of comment.

Edited by Tankalicious

Speaking of racial complaints, I can't wait until we start to see clips from the new Fantastic Four movie that is being made. The racial stuff for the black Johnny Storm will be fun, even though most will just be questioning why Johnny Storm is black but Sue Storm is white.

Edited by shrader

Speaking of racial complaints, I can't wait until we start to see clips from the new Fantastic Four movie that is being made. The racial stuff for the black Johnny Storm will be fun, even though most will just be questioning why Johnny Storm is black but Sue Storm is white.

Is it really that different than Jessica Alba(half Mexican, I'm pretty sure) and Chris Evans(whitest man on earth) being brother and sister in the first two films?

Suspension of disbelief. It's a prerequisite for all comic book films.

Can't wait for Star Wars. Prequel trilogy was sub par, but I'll still watch them. Empire Strikes Back is still my favorite of the 6 so far.

That's not another Sith ... that is Luke. Everyone in the galaxy is trying to find him. Two factions have zeroed in on his location, and are actively hunting him: the reborn fledgling empire, and the rebuilt republic. The storm troopers you see in the teaser are preparing to jump into what looks like a stormy area. The x-wings are flying low over a mountainous, cloudy region. There's snow on the ground. Luke has been in hiding in one of the most remote corners of the outer-rim since his attempt to repopulate the galaxy with Jedi failed miserably. Almost all of his trainees turned to the dark side. He lost his mind, went into exile, and has been in hiding for the last 20-25 years. This a rescue/destroy mission, depending on whose side you're on.

Or I could have made that all up after watching the trailer about 50 times (that's not an exaggeration ...)

This would be a fantastic road to take this story down...it fits right in with the rumor that the movie starts with the discovery of Luke's hand(assuming the mechanical one) and lightsaber, spawning a search for him.... somewhat following the expanded universe's story line where Luke temporarily falls into darkness. Your vision where his downfall stems from his failure to successfully revive the Jedi religion is superb though. You can see the signs of instability in Luke's character throughout the original trilogy. I am hoping for a far darker show this time around.

Despite what the professional hustlers want you to believe, there's nobody who actually cares about John Boyega's skin color.

http://thewilderness.me/race-wars/

The issue of Boyega’s skin color has been such a heated topic of debate online that none of the news outlets who ran stories about fan racism directed at Boyega could cite a single example of it happening. Not on Twitter. Not in an Op-ed, not on movie fan sites.

Not one.

The story appeared at Mashable by Annie Colbert and once again didn’t link any actual criticisms about Boyega’s race. The closest any of them came was Kimberley Dadds from Buzzfeed embedding tweets that mentioned people were outraged yet linked or provided no examples to any actual racist comments to which those tweets were referring to. Variations of this story that appeared at The Wrap and Verge opted for headlines like “Black Stormtrooper fires back at critics” but didn’t reference a single critic. Yahoo Movies took it a step further and used the occasion to slam Fox and Rupert Murdoch but once again provided no tweets, links or blogs. Kriston Cappsfrom The Atlantic wrote a full Op Ed titled “Of Course there are black Storm Troopers” with the tone that people were once again objecting and he was simply responding to them. Yet in his entire piece, he didn’t provide a single link, tweet or even anonymous YouTube comment, deferring instead to a Mel Brooks joke about the black troopersusing an afro pick to “comb the desert” in Spaceballs. If these writers are going to start claiming Mel Brooks is racist they may want to reach further back to minimize any attempt at looking foolish by targeting Blazing Saddles instead.

Of course, being that this is 2014, not one thing can go uninfected by narrative ######.

Edited by TheMatrix31

It took me until more context was laid out but I thought you were referring to a character dressed in a black stormtrooper outfit, like Vader. Only then did I realize skin color was the topic.

The one big thing this movie has going for it over the prequels, other than the obvious lack of Lucas, is that we have no idea what is going to happen. I always got a laugh out of how they were trying to get all the little kids to love Anakin. It never made any sense. Here we don't have to worry about that problem anymore. It'll be nice going in not knowing exactly which characters will die.

Right now I'm trying to think of any movies or stories out there that actually wound up making a character more interesting through prequels. Just about the only one I can think of is the Metal Gear video game series. It can be done with good story telling, but apparently not when your name is George Lucas. Can anyone think of any others? I'm sure there are a few more examples out there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.