2015-16 roster

Hoss

I see no reason for us to be in the Top 3 picks next year aside from "winning the lottery" 

Steps to success

1. Draft McEichel

2. Trade Hodgson(25%) and Stafford/Stewart to LAK for Mike Richards and Tyler Toffoli/Tanner Pearson

Toffoli is a RFA at the end of the year and with the cap potentially not rising, it could spell doom for the LAK in keeping all their solid players. 

They will have (including Voynov and Richards) 14 players under contract with 1.5mil in cap space if the cap stays the same. (This is mainly due to Muzzin and Martinez getting 3mil a piece raises next year) with 7 RFAs and 4 UFAs really unless the cap jumps 8 million next year they will be in serious trouble. 

3. Sign Justin Williams

4. Sign a Vet Dman for the #5/6 spot

5. Sign Niemi and a backup (may include one of our present goalies)

Just with that we'd have

Moulson-McEichel-Toffoli

Ennis-Reinhart-Girgs

Williams-Richards-Gionta

44-McCormick-Kaleta/Flynn

Myers-Gorges

Risto-Zadorov

Pysyk-Vet Dman

Niemi

Backup G

That seems to me to be at least a serviceable team that would reach the middle region of the standings.

I see no reason for us to be in the Top 3 picks next year aside from "winning the lottery" 

Steps to success

1. Draft McEichel

2. Trade Hodgson(25%) and Stafford/Stewart to LAK for Mike Richards and Tyler Toffoli/Tanner Pearson

WHY THE ###### WOULD THEY DO THAT TRADE?

Edited by LGR4GM

how different things are for people. Im an "old" hockey fan and the Tank has completley renewed my enthusiasm for this team. The year after year of being stuck in the middle was was was "turning me off". Now I have a chance to be excitied about the future for my team. I watch the NHL all-star game where our representative just turned 21 years old. I watch the 14/15 WJC and see a Sabres prospect be the #1 centre leading Canada to Gold - a year after I see a Sabres prospect score the winning goal for Finland leading them to Gold. I look at the OHL Goal leaders and see 2 Sabres in the top 10. I look at the roster of the Amerks and see Grigerenko and Armia scoring at almost a point per game.  

All the above is exciting but the "coupe de grace" is still to come -  a top pick in the 2015 NHL draft.

The Tank is over come the NHL trade deadline in 4 1/2 weeks. Just don't expect things to turn around on a dime. This team is historically bad. It will take time for ALL of the prospects to be ready to contribute.

I will guarantee you this - you may be turned off and may even stop following the Sabres but once you see a team with Rienhart and one of McDavid, Eichel or Marner you will be back and your disgust will be forgotten.

Not to curb your enthusiasm (which is ridiculous) but McEichel only gets us back to 9th place. In which case we will need an actual rebuild anyway. After which, we will be competing with the Islanders and the Oilers (who are 29th and just owned us) who are both years ahead of our tank. This sucks.

Not to curb your enthusiasm (which is ridiculous) but McEichel only gets us back to 9th place. In which case we will need an actual rebuild anyway. After which, we will be competing with the Islanders and the Oilers (who are 29th and just owned us) who are both years ahead of our tank. This sucks.

I think there's still a rebuild, but I think the pieces may be in Buffalo's possession. You can put a formidable defense together with Gorges, Myers, Risto, and Zadarov. To round out the 5/6 D-men, you can insert a couple of the kids from Rochester -- Pysyk, McCabe, Ruhwedel. They might be young and learning, but as 5/6, they won't see huge minutes and will grow into their roles. [And I think Weber fits this role quite well.]

The offense will take great shape once you can put more than one line together. This year, Ennis and Girgs were looking pretty good with Moulson. And then I started to notice teams finishing their checks on Ennis. His playmaking is taken away when he's laying on the ice. And Girgs cannot be a one-man show. He is talented but he's more of a hard worker than a pure skill player.

If you get McDavid to center a top line, you just made all your other centers better. Ennis can play center, unless there's depth to move him to wing. Girgs will play center and I see him playing a Paul Gaustad type of role. Reinhart is getting there. Grigorenko is getting there. If either Reinhart or Grigo are ready, Ennis gets moved to wing. Gionta will be the Mike Grier type of player. Armia is developing. I think Moulson will stay and be a finisher with one of the top two lines. Hodgson would make a nice winger on a scoring line with some talent. You can pull in one experienced vet who is a finisher and you have two talented lines to compete. Round out your 3rd line that Girgs is centering with Gionta and Deslauriers and then put a checking line together and life is good. I think you are fielding a playoff team. (I know I neglected goalie, but for the sake of space, Enroth is very serviceable, IMO.)

Getting McDavid solves a lot of problems and quickly. This is just my opinion. I think there is enough in the system to support a winning team next year.

Edited by SabresFanInRochester

Best case scenario next year we could be a playoff team if:

• McEichel is here and an instant first-liner
  • We trade for or sign a legitimate top-six winger
  • Moulson bounces back and they combine for a decent first line.
  • We acquire a Mike Grier type vet who teams with Girgs on a decent shutdown line
  • Most of Foligno, Reinhart, Deslauriers, Girgorenko, Armia and Larsson take a step and are clear upgrades over Flynn etc.
  • We acquire a real top-four NHL defenceman to support Myers and Gorges
  • Ristolainen, Pysyk and Zadorov improve
  • Whoever plays goal doesn't suck

That's a lot of ifs.

Picture this:

Matt Moulson              Connorjack McEichel    Jaromir Jagr

Zemgus Girgensons    Mike Richards               Brian Gionta

Marcus Foligno            Sam Reinhart                Tyler Ennis

Nick Deslauriers          Mike Grigorenko            Joel Armia

Johan Larsson            Cody McCormick

Tyler Myers                Josh Gorges

Rasmus Ristolainen  Johnny Oduya

Mark Pysyk                Nikita Zadorov

Mike Weber

Edited by dudacek

I think the key ultimately will be finding someone to step up for our second line. We are going to have the first line talent thanks to these last two drafts. Someone else is going to have to step up and provide that secondary scoring, either from within the organization or someone else brought in. Just look at Tampa Bay and the production of their second line of Palat, Johnson, and Kucherov. That's probably a bit of an extreme example, but that is the reason they're on top of the east right now. If we can put together that productive second line, it will open a whole world of opportunities to the rest of the roster.

Not to be nitpicky but can we call Girgs, Zemgus.  When you are saying Girgs and Grigs it's really difficult to read and understand.  Zemgus and Grigs is much easier to read through.  Just tossing that out.

That said, if you add Grigorenko and Reinhart to the roster next year along with McEichel, That's potentially 3 top 6 forwards and most assuredly 3 top 9 forwards, That's a good influx a talent going forward.  That being said, we can't predict how well those guys will play because they are still very young.  Reinhart will be 20 in November. Grigorenko will be 21 in May, McEichel will be turning 18.  Hard to predict what a full NHL season will do but they at least have the raw skills to put it together.

Picture this:

Mike Weber

Get rid of Mike Richards and bump McCormick to Larsson's wing and the other centers up 1 and I can picture it. 

Picture this:

Mike Weber

I think adding Richards is a bit odd, although I suppose "free" wasn't a good enough price (waivers), but maybe there's some plan for the Sabres to get him plus some assets. I think the roster would look OK if you just bumped the centers up, although having two rookie centers may be a recipe for disaster. Probably better to slide Zemgus into Richards spot and move Grigs up to LW2. He really doesn't belong in the 4th line anyways.

I think adding Richards is a bit odd, although I suppose "free" wasn't a good enough price (waivers), but maybe there's some plan for the Sabres to get him plus some assets. I think the roster would look OK if you just bumped the centers up, although having two rookie centers may be a recipe for disaster. Probably better to slide Zemgus into Richards spot and move Grigs up to LW2. He really doesn't belong in the 4th line anyways.

Just say no to Mike Richards!

I get where you guys are coming from on Richards, but that line is expected to be playing the tough minutes against the other team's top lines. It has to be a vet and a warrior with a two-way game. It can't be a kid. The lineup has too many kids and they need to be shielded.

Richards might not be the guy, but he has the right kind of game and a ring and can be had for cheap. I was trying to look at something somewhat realistic.

I'm warming to the idea of Armia and Grigorenko on an unconventional fourth line. Not your typical grit but a whole lot more skill than you typically get from that slot. They could provide energy in a different way. We need to add skill and grow the youth, but having too many in key roles would just be throwing them to the wolves. I would give them 10 minutes a night against inferior competition and sprinkle in some PP time. It might be good for their development.

Ennis - Grigorenko - Armia

Moulson - Reinhart - (2015 Draftee)

Hodgson - Girgensons - Gionta

Foligno - Larsson - Deslauriers

Gorges - Myers

Zadorov - Ristolainen

McCabe - Pysyk

Extra Forwards - Schaller, McCormick

7th D = Mike Weber

Gone

Flynn (RFA)

Mitchell (UFA)

Benoit (UFA)

Meszaros (UFA)

Stafford (UFA)

Stewart (UFA)

Kaleta (UFA)

Only one out of the lot I would re-sign is Kaleta. 

I get where you guys are coming from on Richards, but that line is expected to be playing the tough minutes against the other team's top lines. It has to be a vet and a warrior with a two-way game. It can't be a kid. The lineup has too many kids and they need to be shielded.

Richards might not be the guy, but he has the right kind of game and a ring and can be had for cheap. I was trying to look at something somewhat realistic.

I'm warming to the idea of Armia and Grigorenko on an unconventional fourth line. Not your typical grit but a whole lot more skill than you typically get from that slot. They could provide energy in a different way. We need to add skill and grow the youth, but having too many in key roles would just be throwing them to the wolves. I would give them 10 minutes a night against inferior competition and sprinkle in some PP time. It might be good for their development.

The thing with Richards, for me, is I don't think he's a second line player anymore. I get that he might be a second line player for us right now, but "right now" doesn't mean much to me because of the five years left on his contract--even if the cap goes up a decent amount, I don't want to be paying a 4th liner nearly $6MM three years from now when we're good (which is precisely why LA waived him). If he only had two years left on his deal, I'd actually be quite enthusiastic about signing him as a stop-gap to shield the kids some.

I think there's still a rebuild, but I think the pieces may be in Buffalo's possession. You can put a formidable defense together with Gorges, Myers, Risto, and Zadarov. To round out the 5/6 D-men, you can insert a couple of the kids from Rochester -- Pysyk, McCabe, Ruhwedel. They might be young and learning, but as 5/6, they won't see huge minutes and will grow into their roles. [And I think Weber fits this role quite well.]

I don't agree with this first part.  The NHL has changed over the past decade to the point where all of the top teams have highly skilled, slick skating two-way defensemen in the top two pairs who make plays in both zones.  The days of the "stay at home" types are fleeing.  And, I think too many of our current guys don't have the offensive skill to take the team to a Cup.  I like the potential of Zadorov and Risto as two-way guys, but I don't see high-end offensive skill among the rest of our d-men.  I'm in the minority on this board, but I'd be very happy if the Sabres used one of their first rounders on a fast, skilled defenseman.  Our current group won't get us to the top of the mountain.

9th place when? next year? If you are talking next year I would say im still expecting a bottom 10 team and I have absolutely no problem with that. I also don't want to totally dismiss the possibility for challenging for the Play-offs if Murray is to pick up a few cap-casualities in the off-season but I am not banking on it.

I'm looking into the future 3 or 4 years from now when yes we are probably competing with the Isles and the Oilers for the Cup.

So who are good targets for that role I gave to Richards. Essentially we're looking for the guy to be used in the slot Nolan has been using Flynn.

And yes Ryan O'Reilly would be ideal. The price would probably create other holes.

I don't agree with this first part. The NHL has changed over the past decade to the point where all of the top teams have highly skilled, slick skating two-way defensemen in the top two pairs who make plays in both zones. The days of the "stay at home" types are fleeing. And, I think too many of our current guys don't have the offensive skill to take the team to a Cup. I like the potential of Zadorov and Risto as two-way guys, but I don't see high-end offensive skill among the rest of our d-men. I'm in the minority on this board, but I'd be very happy if the Sabres used one of their first rounders on a fast, skilled defenseman. Our current group won't get us to the top of the mountain.

I think Risto and Zad might be a good PP combo, at least they showed ability in juniors, but this is still a good point that gets lost.

I'm all over Jeremy Roy with one of our late 1sts.

Edited by dudacek

I don't agree with this first part.  The NHL has changed over the past decade to the point where all of the top teams have highly skilled, slick skating two-way defensemen in the top two pairs who make plays in both zones.  The days of the "stay at home" types are fleeing.  And, I think too many of our current guys don't have the offensive skill to take the team to a Cup.  I like the potential of Zadorov and Risto as two-way guys, but I don't see high-end offensive skill among the rest of our d-men.  I'm in the minority on this board, but I'd be very happy if the Sabres used one of their first rounders on a fast, skilled defenseman.  Our current group won't get us to the top of the mountain.

No I agree they should draft a defender in the first. I hope they can get Provorov or that they trade up to take him.

So who are good targets for that role I gave to Richards. Essentially we're looking for the guy to be used in the slot Nolan has been using Flynn.

And yes Ryan O'Reilly would be ideal. The price would probably create other holes.

I miss capgeek so much :(

UFAs:

If LA has to let Stoll walk because of cap reasons, he'd probably be near the top of my list if we can get him on a shorter term deal. Same goes for Vermette (although apparently he'd be much more expensive). I have a feeling Boston finds a way to re-sign Soderberg, but if they don't, he's another I'd make a run at. Rich Peverley isn't what he used to be, but could be effective at a reasonable cost on a short deal.

Trade targets: 

Martin Hanzal. He's only 27 so even with a strategy of "suffering" he may not be available, but I'd still try to make a run given the dogs' apparent rebuild path. If he can be had, probably much cheaper than O'Reilly.

Max Talbot. Not going to blow anybody away offensively, but capable of doing some heavy defensive lifting. One year left on deal, maybe Colorado doesn't want to keep him long-term.

Patric Berglund. Not amazing by any stretch, but with the Stastny signing his usage in St. Louis has gone down significantly. Maybe available for a reasonable price.

Valteri Filppula. With all of the young forwards Tampa has, do they want to keep paying the older guy $5MM? Doubt they're actively shopping him, but might be a situation where he could be had.

The hilariously improbable wookie-esque suggestions, but I want them anyway:

Darren Helm

Frans Nielsen

Tomas Plekanec

Picture this:

Mike Weber

The Richards conundrum really doesn't make a lot of sense.  If you've seen him play this year, he doesn't have the footing to pace and the ability to be a legitimate top six player any longer.  Cannon, has put so much ice time on his body, and at best is a third line center on this team or any.  Is Jagr going to come to Buffalo.  I guess that depends on the $, and the understanding that he's here to help mentor.  He has nothing to prove, gain or improve on his first ballot hall of fame bid, other than a Stanley cup and numbers.  I love the Jagr idea and Oduya would be a nice addition.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.