Why do we Idolize Tim Horton?

GEORGIA FAN

He played two season with Buffalo. His numbers don't jump out at you in those two years. It was later revealed that his blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit at the time of the accident. I don't know of any charities or fundraiser he did in the Buffalo area. He also started his Coffee Shop in Canada and not here in Buffalo. But for some unknown reason, people in the area and the Sabres Organization retires his jersey and recently put up a statue of him at the Harbor Center. No offense but I have seen other Sabres players in this organization do a lot more then Tim Horton. I'm not trying to be mean about this. I just want someone to explain to me why this man is Idolized in Buffalo so much?

He played two season with Buffalo. His numbers don't jump out at you in those two years. It was later revealed that his blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit at the time of the accident. I don't know of any charities or fundraiser he did in the Buffalo area. He also started his Coffee Shop in Canada and not here in Buffalo. But for some unknown reason, people in the area and the Sabres Organization retires his jersey and recently put up a statue of him at the Harbor Center. No offense but I have seen other Sabres players in this organization do a lot more then Tim Horton. I'm not trying to be mean about this. I just want someone to explain to me why this man is Idolized in Buffalo so much?

I don't think he's idolized all that much. Most fans never saw him play, after all. He meant a lot to a young franchise, gave it, along with Imlach and Roger Crozier, some instant credibility. Defensemen like Jim Schoenfeld and Mike Robitaille have spoken so highly of how well mentored the young defense. He was a father figure to them. That said, a good argument can be made that his number should not have been retired. Still, the guy did die as a Sabre, thankfully the only time that's happened in franchise history. To be clear, the Sabres didn't commission the trophy they unveiled today.

I had almost this exact same conversation with my wife today. I agree with just about everything you said.

Go Dawgs!

What exactly do the fun police do?

S##t all over the hopes and dreams of young orphan children everywhere.

He was one of the best alcoholic defensemen of all-time.

LOL, good one.

The first game after his death was very sad as I remember; that might have contributed to the legend. I think the night he died, he actually broke his jaw the previous game, got tanked up with alcohol and painkillers and took that fateful ride about 110MPH down the QEW.

Besides the enormous success of his donut shop, Tim brought a respectability to the Sabres defense in the early years and set the table for d-men like Shoenfeld. The guy was about 42 when he was with the Sabres. There was a connection w Imlach's cup winning Leafs and I think Imlach might have talked him out of retirement when he first came here. He was tough as nails...they said if he could get you in that bear hug, he could break your ribs.

I agree, the retired number is over the top but the statue is a way over the top clueless Pegula-ism. Not sure about the message sent honoring someone who died driving drunk.

Edited by 716

LOL. Tim brought a respectability to the Sabres defense in the early years and set the table for d-men like Shoenfeld. The guy was about 42 when he was with the Sabres. He was tough as nails...they said if he could get you in that bear hug, he could break your ribs. There was a connection w Imlach's cup winning team. The retired number is a bit over the top but the statue is a way over the top clueless Pegula-ism.

Hi. I'd like to blame Pegula for this. Do you have more information/sources/links?

So they put a statue of Tim Horton outside the new Tim Horton's. He was an all-time great who was finishing his career as a Sabre when he died in a car accident. They retired his number and now have a statue of him on the property.

I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Edited by LabattBlue

The number was retired out of respect, because he died while a member of the team. I'm not sure when we crossed the line between respect and idolatry, but I do see some of what you're seeing.

Why did the Sabres wait until January 1996 to retire it? It was part of a marketing campaign to boost attendance in the final season at the Aud, with a terrible team. Seems like this is where the franchise has gotten in trouble with retired numbers. Gare and LaFontaine then went up in the season after the lockout. Larry Quinn is the common denominator.

Good time to tell this story:

Horton's number was never supposed to be retired. The Knox Brothers and Punch Imlach agreed to never let another player wear it. Not only that but they wanted the number essentially forgotten.

It was Simonick's idea to honor the number and put it in the rafters. Wonder if he got annoyed of people asking to wear it.

Getting Tim Horton to play in Buffalo was no mean feat. He was at the tail-end of his career, but he was still respected (and a little feared) by every team in the league. Adding him to the Sabres' blue line gave the expansion team immediate respectability. He did mentor the young D-men on the team; in fact, Jim Schoenfeld eventually took on Horton's role with the team and played just like him. Anyone who saw Tim Horton play would not doubt his value to the team.

At the time of is demise, I think most people knew that the accident was likely caused by alcohol. But, that was a different time - such things were not spoken (or written) of publicly. His jersey was retired because of the major influence he had on getting a very young Sabres' team to mature, and yes also because he died as a Sabre. He should not be remembered for what happened on the QEW that night, but for what he did for the Sabres organization as well as the contributions he made to Toronto's last Stanley Cup winning teams. His donut shop franchise was not really known outside of Canada at the time - it was nowhere near as popular or widespread as it is now.

At the time of is demise, I think most people knew that the accident was likely caused by alcohol. But, that was a different time - such things were not spoken (or written) of publicly. His jersey was retired because of the major influence he had on getting a very young Sabres' team to mature, and yes also because he died as a Sabre. He should not be remembered for what happened on the QEW that night, but for what he did for the Sabres organization as well as the contributions he made to Toronto's last Stanley Cup winning teams.

In the same vein, I would surely believe his banner serves as a reminder to players that even great players fall hard if they make the wrong life choices. The reminder literally hangs over their heads.

Why did the Sabres wait until January 1996 to retire it? It was part of a marketing campaign to boost attendance in the final season at the Aud, with a terrible team. Seems like this is where the franchise has gotten in trouble with retired numbers. Gare and LaFontaine then went up in the season after the lockout. Larry Quinn is the common denominator.

I don't know why they waited until 1996 to have the ceremony (did they even have ceremonies for this stuff in the 70s), but the number was retired long, long before that. On the ceremony, though, I suspect you are right.

Good time to tell this story:

Horton's number was never supposed to be retired. The Knox Brothers and Punch Imlach agreed to never let another player wear it. Not only that but they wanted the number essentially forgotten.

It was Simonick's idea to honor the number and put it in the rafters. Wonder if he got annoyed of people asking to wear it.

That's what retiring a number means, no?

I don't think he's idolized all that much. Most fans never saw him play, after all. He meant a lot to a young franchise, gave it, along with Imlach and Roger Crozier, some instant credibility. Defensemen like Jim Schoenfeld and Mike Robitaille have spoken so highly of how well mentored the young defense. He was a father figure to them. That said, a good argument can be made that his number should not have been retired. Still, the guy did die as a Sabre, thankfully the only time that's happened in franchise history. To be clear, the Sabres didn't commission the trophy they unveiled today.

This.

In fact, Horton was going to retire and Punch talked him into one more year by buying him a new sports car, a Pantera from now-defunct Italian automaker DeTomaso, to return for one more season.

And yep, that was the car he was driving that flipped and threw him 200'.

I was too young at the time but my dad later told me he believed Punch's subsequent guilt led to his feuds with pretty much all of the players - especially Schoenfeld - and his eventual firing a few years later.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.