Cody Hodgson

darksabre

Zemgus is better than he was last year and was particularly good in November/December.

He seems to have disappeared since, though. Hasnt done much in this calendar year with prime ice time.

On this; it's difficult to see the difference in player usage from then until now (we don't have the tools), but the season-long player usage shows that Nolan's riding Zemgus and Gionta and Flynn with by far the hardest minutes among forwards on the team.  They're playing shut down roles against hard opponents.  Remember when Ruff rode Regehr like a horse into invisibility?  Could be a similar thing.  Could be that playing these guys hard, because they are at least perceived to be the best at that job, is keeping us from being worse than we are (if such a thing is possible).

On Nolan, I need to see more clear-cut data, maybe in a non-tank situation, maybe with a non-tank roster.  Most of these criticisms are lost in the noise of this fest.

Zemgus is better than he was last year and was particularly good in November/December.

He seems to have disappeared since, though. Hasnt done much in this calendar year with prime ice time.

I agree. I don't know if it's on Zemgus or something with the team, but since the All-Star break, he's been non-existent. I had been thinking about that for a couple of games now. I hope the All-Star game didn't go to his head, or the style in that game warp his judgement of the real way to play hockey.

I agree. I don't know if it's on Zemgus or something with the team, but since the All-Star break, he's been non-existent. I had been thinking about that for a couple of games now. I hope the All-Star game didn't go to his head, or the style in that game warp his judgement of the real way to play hockey.

his point production since the break is pretty close to what it was before the break (.46ppg before, .44ppg since)

His shooting percentage has fallen through the floor. (15.4%, 5.3%)

He's been playing 1 more minute TOI (19:03, 20:07)

Not sure he's disappeared. the team around him has certainly become much worse.3

Still on pace for a 20/40 season.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Don't know about that. Didn't Pomms nearly get killed getting slammed face first into the boards?

Being a soft player isn't going to protect the soft player from any and all injuries;  especially if they're targeted by some low-life like a Chara or Lucic.  Those jerks take pride in hurting other players and getting away with it. 

But,  softer play by all players across the board might reduce brain injuries, et al.

Edited by Jsixspd

So, do you think this, or are you sure?

Can't be both.

Oh, and I'm just yankin' your chain, since qwk has deemed me to be the nicest guy using the Internet.  This is kind of a pet peeve of mine, though.

I literally laughed my ass off reading this post.  :lol:

I've thought about it a bit and I'm in. 20?

That's good. I can't really afford much more. :lol:

If, by puckdrop, of the first regular season game of 2015-16 Ted Nolan is still head coach of the Sabres, $20 from you to the charity of my choosing. Same rules for me if GMTM fires Nolan before then. Charities TBD.

Weren't you the main culprit of said name calling? Either you or JJFIVEOH, for some reason my mind has made you one poster.

Wow, you merged JJFIVEOH and Jsixspd in your mind, the tank has been hard on you!

They used to have very similar looking car avatars, so it's not that strange.

And both usernames start with "J" and are car-themed. I tend to get them mixed up too.

I was going to argue that the 5.0 Mustang isn't a classic muscle car but I guess at this point it is. 1990 is technically "classic" now.

Actually, at 25 years 1990 can get antique plates. If I were forced to drive own, I'd totally get antique plates for a 1990 Cavalier.

That's good. I can't really afford much more. :lol:

If, by puckdrop, of the first regular season game of 2015-16 Ted Nolan is still head coach of the Sabres, $20 from you to the charity of my choosing. Same rules for me if GMTM fires Nolan before then. Charities TBD.

Outstanding gentlemen !!

Marquis of Queensbury rules apply from now till puck drop of the first game...

Side bets anyone? My money is on d4arksabre...

Edited by Woods-Racer

Not a Cody fan but.....

Over 9 minutes of ice time and 2 shots on goal vs the Devils, he was playing on a line with Gionta for a time.

Compare that to Ellis that got under 6 minutes, a lot of it on the penalty kill, and 2 shots ( 1 short handed, actually a nice play).

Maybe the warming of coach and player is starting to see some ice time for Cody ?

Maybe Drew Stafford needed to be backfilled.

I don't wish to imply that Cody is even as good as Drew, just implying that if you listen (or kiss butt) to Nolan, playing time increases. 

And then, not so sure that it is as much being a player that won't listen (think the phrase was , being coachable), as much as a coach not knowing his players.