Cody Hodgson

darksabre

This title's my favorite.

Cause he's been playing a bit like a weiner lately.

I've never really liked him.  Just another creampuff soft player;  always dodging the puck and confrontations.    He's like a Jason Pominville with 1/3rd the offense output.  

I've never really liked him.  Just another creampuff soft player;  always dodging the puck and confrontations.    He's like a Jason Pominville with 1/3rd the offense output.  

I don't feel that strongly.  I believe anyone could look terrible on this team right now.  And our frustration isn't even on the same scale as his has got to be: to work so hard and see some advancement by a couple measures over a season or two, then have everything go to for basically an entire season.

He's got to solve his problem, but no one seems to truly know what his problem is and he's the only one that can solve it.

We've seen a lot of players like this, with something holding them back from going to the next level.  Hopefully it works out.

Why do so few people realize this? Because he was taking out the play and not the man?

I think there's a cognitive dissonance between many people about toughness and playing well defensively. Players like Pominville, Myers, O'Reilly, and hell most of the Detroit roster play sound defense without being physically tough. If you get a label for being soft though, too many people just assume it means you don't play defense at all even though it's not the case.

I think there's a cognitive dissonance between many people about toughness and playing well defensively. Players like Pominville, Myers, O'Reilly, and hell most of the Detroit roster play sound defense without being physically tough. If you get a label for being soft though, too many people just assume it means you don't play defense at all even though it's not the case.

I just don't get it at all.  The guy was on the penalty kill as a rookie for a reason.

Saying he's like a Jason Pominville with 1/3rd the offense output is kind of offensive.  Pominville, for how soft he was perceived here, was the epitome of a hard-working player who overcame whatever lack of skill he had through...hard work.  Anyone who thinks this is what Hodgson is like is not paying attention in my opinion.

Oh, and I don't want any player on this team who thinks it's okay for them to swing a stick lumberjack-style at any other player's legs and feet.  Just say no to that.  I also don't want a player here who seems to believe they're above meeting the physical requirements the rest of the team has to adhere to.  Whatever, a team is a team.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I'm no coach, but this doesn't sound right at all:

Nolan and Hodgson had an extended conversation on the ice during Sunday’s morning skate. It was the first time the two had chatted in some time.

“I didn’t speak to him for a while,” Nolan said. “Sometimes the hardest part about this business is players have got to allow themselves to be coached. That’s the hardest part about this job and we just made some suggestions that hopefully he’ll like and make his game better.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/larsson-hopes-to-earn-longer-stay-with-sabres-20150215

I'm no coach, but this doesn't sound right at all:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/larsson-hopes-to-earn-longer-stay-with-sabres-20150215[/size]

Sounds right to me. If Cody didn't want to hear it from Nolan and tuned him out, there was nothing Nolan could do. If Cody warmed a little to Nolan, then hopefully Nolan talked and they are trying to work it out. Sounds like they should be on a Jerry Springer Show.

You know, if Hodgson had anything going for him, wouldn't GMTM have intervened by now? If he didn't want Nolan ruining his trade value or trying to break him I think we'd be seeing it. But at face value GMTM doesn't seem to give a rat's a** about Cody or about what Ted is doing with him.

They all know the score. If they win, GMTM makes changes. If they loose GMTM does nothing to alter that. If we think it's tuff as fans, it's has to really suck to be players and coaches. Cody gave up months ago, that works for GMTM, so no love needs given to player or coach to solve it. Nolan would love to bring up AHLer's to help them win, GMTM is not going to do that. Suck it up, play like a professional, it's a tank year, the more dysfunctional the better.

You know, if Hodgson had anything going for him, wouldn't GMTM have intervened by now? If he didn't want Nolan ruining his trade value or trying to break him I think we'd be seeing it. But at face value GMTM doesn't seem to give a rat's a** about Cody or about what Ted is doing with him.

Murray has said numerous times publicly that player usage is the coach's job, not his. I wouldn't expect him to intervene on Hodgson's behalf if he didn't for Reinhart or Zadorov earlier in the year.

Murray has said numerous times publicly that player usage is the coach's job, not his. I wouldn't expect him to intervene on Hodgson's behalf if he didn't for Reinhart or Zadorov earlier in the year.

Which means he trusts Nolan. He trusted Nolan's opinion on Reinhart and he trusted Nolan to bring Nikita around the right way. So he must also trust in Nolan's handling of Hodgson. If he didn't, he'd fire him, no?

Which means he trusts Nolan. He trusted Nolan's opinion on Reinhart and he trusted Nolan to bring Nikita around the right way. So he must also trust in Nolan's handling of Hodgson. If he didn't, he'd fire him, no?

I don't think it means he trusts Nolan, for two reasons. One is obvious: we're not trying to win, so he could simultaneously think Nolan is incompetent and not want to do anything about it. Secondly, if he's trying to evaluate Nolan's capabilities, the last thing he'd want to do is intervene because then he's not getting a pure picture of what Nolan can/will do in different situations.

I don't think it means he trusts Nolan, for two reasons. One is obvious: we're not trying to win, so he could simultaneously think Nolan is incompetent and not want to do anything about it. Secondly, if he's trying to evaluate Nolan's capabilities, the last thing he'd want to do is intervene because then he's not getting a pure picture of what Nolan can/will do in different situations.

I think you're reaching a bit with that last part. A good GM isn't going to just let a coach jerk players around because he wants to evaluate the coach. That's backwards.

I also don't support the idea that keeping Nolan around is for supporting the tank. I'd expect GMTM is more concerned with making sure the foundation of the team is being strengthened, not with keeping a coach on the job just to bottom the team out. That goes against the entire ethos of "rebuild". You don't hire a demolition crew to pour your foundation.