Cody Hodgson

darksabre

That's interesting. I could have sworn Gionta Moulson Ennis started our PP and Hodgson Varone Foligno came on next.

I was specifically watching for it.

Am I losing it? Was anyone else still watching in the third?

I'm not saying you are wrong.

In fact I think you are right, I though he played a shift on the PP.  In the third, maybe with 30seconds left in the game?

That's interesting. I could have sworn Gionta Moulson Ennis started our PP and Hodgson Varone Foligno came on next.

I was specifically watching for it.

Am I losing it? Was anyone else still watching in the third?

I thought I saw the same thing. I was also looking to see if his ice time would increase. The past two games he has looked as th ough his effort to create has gone up

I thought I saw the same thing. I was also looking to see if his ice time would increase. The past two games he has looked as th ough his effort to create has gone up

Time is at it's highest the last 2 games (12-13 minutes), I believe since last year.

I tried to cut and paste NHL stats. Old man fail...

Edited by Woods-Racer

He was criticized last night by the NBCSN commentators -  he got pushed off the puck and pushed down onto the ice, and the commentator said he needs to get to the gym and improve his strength and speed.  

They probably scouted the game on SabreSpace.

• 2 weeks later...

They probably scouted the game on SabreSpace.

LOL!!!!!

I was comparing Cody Hodgson's stats for this year, with Ville Leino's from last year.  Leino was the benchmark for overpaid, putrid, awful, ineffective hockey players 

Well, Hodgson has surpassed that.   

Leino played 58 games in 2014, and ended with 15 points and a plus/minus of -16.   Yes, those were awful stats.

But consider "CoHo" -   he's at 66 games for the season, has only 12 points, and a dreadful plus/minus of -24.  

Total time on ice - Ville Leino had 837 minutes last year.  Hodgson has surpassed that at 859 minutes total ice time.  

Leino's points per game average = 0.26

Hodgson's points per game average = 0.18

The Leino Bar has now become officially the Hodgson Bar.    CoHo has earned every smidgen of disgust and dislike directed at him by Sabres fans.   And his awful, awful performance this season cannot be fully explained away by "Well, the lines are worse this year than last year"

Consider Tyler Ennis....in 2014 he had 21 goals and 43 points in 80 games.    In 2015, thru 68 games played, he has 18 goals and 38 points, and his plus minus is better this year at -17, vs -24 in 2014.    Ennis is on track to do as well, if not better, in 2015 than last year, even with the awful lines and the team shakeups. 

Hodgson has no excuse, as far as I'm concerned.  He's a creampuff, soft player who floats and loafs, just like Leino. 

I noticed last night - the one goal that Boston scored - Leino.... I mean.... Hodgson..... was out there!

LOL!!!!!

I was comparing Cody Hodgson's stats for this year, with Ville Leino's from last year.  Leino was the benchmark for overpaid, putrid, awful, ineffective hockey players 

Leino played 58 games in 2014, and ended with 15 points and a plus/minus of -16.   Yes, those were awful stats.

But consider "CoHo" -   he's at 66 games for the season, has only 12 points, and a dreadful plus/minus of -24.  

Total time on ice - Ville Leino had 837 minutes last year.  Hodgson has surpassed that at 859 minutes total ice time.  

The Leino Bar has now become officially the Hodgson Bar.    CoHo has earned every smidgen of disgust and dislike directed at him by Sabres fans.   And his awful, awful performance this season cannot be fully explained away by "Well, the lines are worse this year than last year"

Consider Tyler Ennis....in 2014 he had 21 goals and 43 points in 80 games.    In 2015, thru 68 games played, he has 18 goals and 38 points, and his plus minus is better this year at -17, vs -24 in 2014.    Ennis is on track to do as well, if not better, in 2015 than last year, even with the awful lines and the team shakeups. 

Hodgson has no excuse, as far as I'm concerned.  He's a creampuff, soft player who floats and loafs, just like Leino. 

I noticed last night - the one goal that Boston scored - Leino.... I mean.... Hodgson..... was out there!

Hodgson is the epitome of a Darcy player.  

He's gets blasted on many out of market announcers and the last two nights on NBC for not moving his feet.  The guy isnt a great skater. 

If you really crunch his numbers it's his lack of PP points that are dragging him down, (bc he doesnt have to skate to score), but his 5v5 numbers are pretty much the same they've alwasy been. 

Until he surrounded by much better talent he's never going to be anything other than he is, a 2nd tier player. 

He's gets blasted on many out of market announcers and the last two nights on NBC for not moving his feet.  The guy isnt a great skater. 

If you really crunch his numbers it's his lack of PP points that are dragging him down, (bc he doesnt have to skate to score), but his 5v5 numbers are pretty much the same they've alwasy been. 

Until he surrounded by much better talent he's never going to be anything other than he is, a 2nd tier player. 

I agree.  I think one thing the Sabres have failed to do in prior years is locate players who generate offense.  By that I mean the guys driving the play.  Zemgus, Ennis, and Ristolainen are currently the only Sabres who seem to be able to generate offense.  Your Hodgson, Moulson, and other players need a generator to provide them the opportunity for offense. Not sure I am explaining this properly but i hope I did. 

Good players can score, Great players can create scoring.  

Hodgson has no excuse, as far as I'm concerned.

I have a feeling that when the story of this season is told, it will be revealed that CoHo was the only player that was instructed to tank. To float. To help the team lose. If he's still with the team next year I predict he'll be much better. But I don't care either way.

For as good as Lindback played last night, that goal he allowed was purely on him. The puck's rattling around behind the net and he's not on the post? Come on. That was just awful goaltending.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

Zemgus, Ennis, and Ristolainen are currently the only Sabres who seem to be able to generate offense.

I think Larsson deserves to be on that list, although the body of work is limited.

Your Hodgson, Moulson, and other players need a generator to provide them the opportunity for offense. Not sure I am explaining this properly but i hope I did.

No, you explained it well. To me, Moulson = Vanek. You watch him play and wonder what he's doing out there; he never seems to be engaged. I want to hate him like others hate Hodgson. But look at his stats- he's second on the team in scoring. (I thought it was just because he's played more games than Zemgus but he has more points per game than Girgs too.) But I tend to agree - Moulson is one of those players that plays better with good players, while Zemgus, Ennis, Risto and Larsson make those around them better.

LOL!!!!!

I agree . 

but wait for it

But.. but..ITS ALL TED NOLANS FAULT ! :angry: 

enter sarcasm emoticon here. 

Edited by bunomatic

I have a feeling that when the story of this season is told, it will be revealed that CoHo was the only player that was instructed to tank. To float. To help the team lose. If he's still with the team next year I predict he'll be much better. But I don't care either way.

That never occurred to me.   I'm thinking it's not likely, but who knows?   GMTM whispered in his ear over the summer?   

That never occurred to me.   I'm thinking it's not likely, but who knows?   GMTM whispered in his ear over the summer?

It's the stuff of conspiracy theories and as such I don't expect to ever hear it confirmed or denied until many years have passed. But I think getting the high pick by finishing 30th is Murray's goal and I can imagine all manner of methods he could employ to do it.

I think there is an illusion of discord at times between Murray and Nolan but I kind of think Murray sat Nolan down before the season and said, "Hey look, we need to finish last. You have a three year contract so after this year you've got a year left. Next year will be your year to prove yourself to me, and if we are successful with the tank you'll have a much higher talent level on the team. I won't lie to you, if I can land a Babcock, I will, but if you screw up the tank you'll be gone after this year for sure. If you work with me I'll make sure you either have your opportunity to coach a talented team or we find you a nice front office job to show our appreciation for your service."

I agree.  I think one thing the Sabres have failed to do in prior years is locate players who generate offense.  By that I mean the guys driving the play.  Zemgus, Ennis, and Ristolainen are currently the only Sabres who seem to be able to generate offense.  Your Hodgson, Moulson, and other players need a generator to provide them the opportunity for offense. Not sure I am explaining this properly but i hope I did. 

Good players can score, Great players can create scoring.  

I think you said it just right. Hodgson is a complimentary piece, he's not going to generate scoring. Give him some dynamic players and he will do much better, but can't that be said for many 2nd tier players? 

The sabres need more dynamic players, such as the ones you identified. 

It's the stuff of conspiracy theories and as such I don't expect to ever hear it confirmed or denied until many years have passed. But I think getting the high pick by finishing 30th is Murray's goal and I can imagine all manner of methods he could employ to do it.

I think there is an illusion of discord at times between Murray and Nolan but I kind of think Murray sat Nolan down before the season and said, "Hey look, we need to finish last. You have a three year contract so after this year you've got a year left. Next year will be your year to prove yourself to me, and if we are successful with the tank you'll have a much higher talent level on the team. I won't lie to you, if I can land a Babcock, I will, but if you screw up the tank you'll be gone after this year for sure. If you work with me I'll make sure you either have your opportunity to coach a talented team or we find you a nice front office job to show our appreciation for your service."

I think there was that speech given to Nolan, by Black. Work with Murray for the good of the organization, or you'll be on the outside looking in for the rest of your life.

That's why I've said, it's foolish for Ted Nolan to think (if he indeed thinks this - who knows what his inner monologue is?) that he needs to push to win a few meaningless games after the Sabres have already been eliminated,  in order to 'save' his job.   I think it could have the OPPOSITE effect - it might tick GMTM off enough, if the draft pick is lost   that Nolan's services will not be needed next season.

Trying to shine at the end of the season out of some misplaced sense of pride could actually cost jobs.  

Edited by Jsixspd

Ted Nolan got this job mostly because he was supposed to establish a culture of hard work in a losing environment.

He is not going to be fired because he succeeded in that. If he's fired it's because he hasn't convinced Murray he is the man to make this team  — and the prospects its future is tied to — better next season.

19 should be bought out if not able to be thrown into a deal somehow. I've not been a Larsson fan but I would easily replace Cody with him and move on.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.  It was hard to re-locate this topic with a search, by the way......

So, what was the consensus on... Chum Hustler(?)'s... fate?  Buy him out this offseason?  How exactly does that work these days?

Does he have a spot on this team for 2015-16?

By the way.... including Hodgson, we have 10 forwards signed for next season as of now.  Add in Reinhart and McEichel, and Grigorenko and Larsson need to be signed as RFA's.... that'd be 14.  See: http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/BUF?year=2015

Well I guess I was wrong there....

Bump.  It was hard to re-locate this topic with a search, by the way......

So, what was the consensus on... Chum Hustler(?)'s... fate?  Buy him out this offseason?  How exactly does that work these days?

Does he have a spot on this team for 2015-16?

By the way.... including Hodgson, we have 10 forwards signed for next season as of now.  Add in Reinhart and McEichel, and Grigorenko and Larsson need to be signed as RFA's.... that'd be 14.  See: http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/BUF?year=2015

Sounds like CoHo and one of the centers gets packed up and shipped out.... but for what?  A goalie maybe?  And how many of those 14 are 4th liners that end up getting bumped for more talent?  (Or do we keep Kaleta and Cody Mack?)

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

Well I guess I was wrong there....

Sounds like CoHo and one of the centers gets packed up and shipped out.... but for what?  A goalie maybe?  And how many of those 14 are 4th liners that end up getting bumped for more talent?  (Or do we keep Kaleta and Cody Mack?)

Very few. Maybe McCormick and Deslauriers, but they are valuable fourth-liners IMO.

The others are Hodgson, Moulson, Kane, Ennis, Foligno, Gionta and Grigensons.

Cereal's list has Kaleta too, but I'm positive he is a UFA this year.

In answer to the question, I really have no idea. Hodgson is a chip that somehow needs to be played.

My mock line-ups don't include him because I don't see the space.

But I think he has enough value he could be traded, or find his way into the lineup because of another trade.