Ted Nolan "I learned last week I can't say what/how I feel."

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I don't think that's what happened at all. I think he let his emotions get the best of him. We know he's that kind of guy. But if you remember the discussion during the Olympics, it was that he made the players believe that they could win. That's what he was brought in to do here. Change the dumpy locker room atmosphere and get these guys feeling like they might be good hockey players.

I don't doubt that vets like Gionta and Moulson have bought into this. Myers too.

But by blurting out his frustrations he betrayed what he supposedly stands for. You don't make your players believe in themselves by calling them a Pee Wee team.

But he blurted out something 3x as bad last night.

The direct question was if he was unhappy with the work ethic the 1st period.

He said he learned last week that he can't say what and how he really feels.

That is not somebody stepping back and "truly learning some lesson". That was a passive-aggressive response towards the players, and what should be an even bigger embarassment...at least to those who can see it. He not only answered "yes" to if he was pissed at the work ethic, but did it in a way so that we know someone had their panties in a bunch about it.

Think about when I would get banned all the time for my research on Cliff Benson. Do you think my feelings changed about him when I came back? Or did I just say things with more subtle snark so that I didn't get banned for being brutally honest?

Nolan has no room to complain about effort when he can't provide direction. He knew the task. Change the direction. Not radically, but put some structure to the rebuild. Teach the youngsters. But that is tough to do when the only direction you can give is what's in your soul. There is no tactical plan game in and game out. It looks like a Chinese fire drill. A monkey can throw a puck on the ice and sit at the podium 60 minutes later. He may a great motivator, but to lead successfully you have to provide direction and I never felt he knew where he wanted to go.

No kidding. If they're playing like pee-wees isn't that on the coach?

That is not somebody stepping back and "truly learning some lesson". That was a passive-aggressive response towards the players, and what should be an even bigger embarassment...at least to those who can see it. He not only answered "yes" to if he was pissed at the work ethic, but did it in a way so that we know someone had their panties in a bunch about it.

Think about when I would get banned all the time for my research on Cliff Benson. Do you think my feelings changed about him when I came back? Or did I just say things with more subtle snark so that I didn't get banned for being brutally honest?

Yeah, it definitely seemed like a passive aggressive response to whoever complained about his pee wee comment. I'm wondering where you are going with this? What's the point, other than Nolan is obviously frustrated on a couple different levels?

Edited by weave

... ... ...

With more subtle snark, Ghost, to avoid getting banned. Neither have Nolan's true feelings changed, I suspect.

Edited by Yuri Olesha

I think the angle that isn't being looked at is the league office. Everyone knows our organizational plan this year is to be sure to secure the second overall pick, with hopes of the first. A coach openly calling out what a joke our team is could get attention from the league. Remember how close they were to drastically changing the rules for the lottery this summer?

And what I find funny is, many yelled for Darcy to walk away from his job if he couldn't have full control of the operation. Where are the calls for Nolan to do so?

Or, after all of these delightfully funny comments, could it just be that the teams youth is only 5 games in to their first or second season and have yet to find the chemistry, combined with the veterans, what there are on this team, just mailing it in for the paychecks? Could it be..........?

And as for Tyler Myers, like the rest of the Sabres that were packing, he'll be thankful when it's his turn, and I'm guessing sooner rather than later in his mind.

So, who is at fault for this? One man, one name stands out amongst all others.................................Darcy Regier!!!!!

After all, it's still a great deal of his product in the youth you see on the ice or in the pipeline. The man who couldn't find the fax machine power switch is almost solely to blame for this mess.

TM and company (Nolan included) have a monumental task in front of them, it won't happen over night, not with the damage that was done to this organization since 2007. Money wasn't the issue after Pegula's arrival, personnel decisions were because Regier remained at the helm of a ship destined to hit the rocks time and again.

If Nolan "learned his lesson" through a discussion with players or via some coaching revelation, I think he'd have the sensitivity and foresight to not reveal it like he did in the post game. Nolan is, after all, relatively media-savvy.

My impression is that he got a spanking from a superior and doesn't like it.

I think you make a good point about Nolan's comments last night.

I think the angle that isn't being looked at is the league office. Everyone knows our organizational plan this year is to be sure to secure the second overall pick, with hopes of the first. A coach openly calling out what a joke our team is could get attention from the league. Remember how close they were to drastically changing the rules for the lottery this summer?

And what I find funny is, many yelled for Darcy to walk away from his job if he couldn't have full control of the operation. Where are the calls for Nolan to do so?

Interesting angle.

But that's the point. By blaming it all on effort he was implying that he believes the team should be better which is exactly the argument that the FO presents in defense of those that think they are tanking.

That's what makes any suggestion that TM, TP or JB talked to Nolan laughable. If anything, they would want to encourage the notion that they are shocked by the performance.

As for the league, all Nolan's outburst did was create the urgency for a memo to be sent to Patty that when his friend is fired that there will be no room in the league office for him

Yeah, it definitely seemed like a passive aggressive response to whoever complained about his pee wee comment. I'm wondering where you are going with this? What's the point, other than Nolan is obviously frustrated on a couple different levels?

This is where I am going. I get the feeling if things don't change in the effort or standing department soon, Ted is going to beg to be fired. Like I said, you could see he was not happy about LaFontaine and was quite vocal that Patty got a raw deal. I am sure Nolan has questioned staying on.

Nolan's main skill is motivation and teamwork. If there is no effort, he is useless. The goal was to at least have a coach who could bring respect back to the ice in terms of effort and sticking up for each other while the young guys matured and had a few vets to look up to. For him to firebomb his own team with the pee-wee comments so soon, then a comment like last night.....this is going to not end well I feel, and sooner than later.

If Ted is getting told how to act and what to do.......I am throwing my support behind him to step down. My guess is that he hopes these guys get their act together by going out west for a week. If they come back and still haven't geled, I'd expect guys like Bucky to have a few more sources cropping up and willing to talk.

But that's the point. By blaming it all on effort he was implying that he believes the team should be better which is exactly the argument that the FO presents in defense of those that think they are tanking.

That's what makes any suggestion that TM, TP or JB talked to Nolan laughable. If anything, they would want to encourage the notion that they are shocked by the performance.

As for the league, all Nolan's outburst did was create the urgency for a memo to be sent to Patty that when his friend is fired that there will be no room in the league office for him

I have a feeling, in about 3 or 4 weeks, Pegula is going to need the Satanic Voltron of Gibby, Bertchold, Black, Brandon, and Benson, to use their power to hold the fort.

It's all highly interesting. Only time will tell if this group of players can actually play like they care.

As for Nolan, it's highly conceivable that Murray wants him gone. He was forced to accept him and he was forced to offer Nolan a contract of substance. He was a new GM, stepping into an extremely volatile situation, and having an organization spurn a long time favorite in LaFontaine. Nolan is tied to LaFontaine but more importantly he is tied to bringing a hard working team to the ice. He represented hope and Murray would not start of his relationship well with fans if he were to eject Nolan.

So, offer him the contract knowing the kind of person he is. Bring in players like Meszaros and Benoit who are clearly not helping this team at all. Watch the show unravel and Nolan explodes with his teams effort. Let's be real, the offense is bad, but Meszaros and Benoit are a complete joke. I feel that replacing those two players would improve things immensely. It's no coincidence that the Sabres won the one game that Meszaros was not on the ice. So, you set the coach up for failure, to a certain degree. He loses it, can't get the team to win, and Murray can either fire him or watch him resign. The fans won't care because he obviously couldn't produce. Bring in the coach Murray wants and see what happens. It doesn't matter how long this takes this year either because Murray has the patience. The goal is the 2015 draft. Odds are LaFontaine didn't like that idea either, but Murray could accept it.

No tin foil hats, but everyone has to admit that it's a bit odd the Sabres keep playing a guy who is the lowest in the NHL for +/- and shown no ability to do anything on the ice. McCabe and Pysyk are available and they are sent down? Pysyk is an immediate upgrade...

Nolan is trapped as well. If he speaks out too much he'll forever be banned from the NHL ranks. He's kind of got to take whatever comes his way at this point I would say.

It's all conceivable, how true? We'll find out.

I am appreciative some of you put down your palms from adoring the messiah who rode into town on a border collie, long enough to reply.

Maybe Tyler Myers having 0 points in 5 games is as simple as, he sucks? But y'all keep clamoring for Yzerman, Chelios, and Shannahan in return......

As a wise man once said.... adiots......

I like so many things about you, GoDD.

But when you write stuff like the bolded it just makes me shake my head.

Maybe he was just referring to all the furor his comments caused.

I know it's too simple for the tin foil hat brigade , but..,,,.

That's what I was thinking as well. It's just not as fun to think about, though.

Thanks, T Web.

I like so many things about you, GoDD.

But when you write stuff like the bolded it just makes me shake my head.

This is what drew my response Qwk.....

And I like all 4 of the posters.

If someone wants to just attempt to marginalize and insult an honest observation....well, then I can get creative with my prose.

This is what drew my response Qwk.....

And I like all 4 of the posters.

If someone wants to just attempt to marginalize and insult an honest observation....well, then I can get creative with my prose.

I should have bolded TW's first line when I responded to him. I don't think think this is tinfoil hat stuff at all. It's just my first reaction was what he thought. I think both are just as likely to be true, but your take absolutely is more interesting to talk about.

This is where I am going. I get the feeling if things don't change in the effort or standing department soon, Ted is going to beg to be fired. Like I said, you could see he was not happy about LaFontaine and was quite vocal that Patty got a raw deal. I am sure Nolan has questioned staying on.

If Ted Nolan was so unhappy about the PLF situation, if his sense of honor so insulted, he should have had the integrity to walk away instead of compromising his "principles" and accepting a lucrative coaching offer with a team he KNEW wasn't loaded with talent.

Teddy was wrong to throw his team under the bus, no matter how much we agree with it. And it were MY team, I'd have no problem telling him that. I think I've overrated his ability as a coach. If his strength is motivation, then he has failed miserably. Which is a shame because he wouldn't know an X from an O on the whiteboard.

Teddy can feel free to leave any time he wants and that would be OK by this fan.

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.