GDT: Sabres at Huricanes 10-14-14 7:30PM NBCSN

spndnchz

The people sitting in front of me yesterday actually brought a baby to the game. I guess they aren't aware of our reputation.

Oh, and I hate shootouts. There is no quicker way to kill any flow a game has. I guess that doesn't matter too much though since the game is essentially over at that point anyway.

I saw many toddlers (3 and under) at the game yesterday, it's pretty common so I guess I've just become accustomed to it. I ended up sitting in section 125 (section 100 doesn't exist) which is at the end where the Canes shot twice so I never made it over to your end of the arena. I'm not sure how the refs missed that third Canes goal, it was clear as day to me that it went in the net in real time.

Attending hockey games has become a G-rated family experience. I used to remember the good ol R-rated days. Can't we just settle for a happy PG-13 experience and make it more of an adult atmosphere? It really has become a factor when I'm trying to decide whether or not to attend a hockey game. I realize not all arenas are the same, but it's getting there.

I know, off-topic. Too bad. :P

The people sitting in front of me yesterday actually brought a baby to the game. I guess they aren't aware of our reputation.
I saw many toddlers (3 and under) at the game yesterday, it's pretty common so I guess I've just become accustomed to it.
Attending hockey games has become a G-rated family experience. I used to remember the good ol R-rated days. Can't we just settle for a happy PG-13 experience and make it more of an adult atmosphere? It really has become a factor when I'm trying to decide whether or not to attend a hockey game. I realize not all arenas are the same, but it's getting there.

I know, off-topic. Too bad. :P

We sat with the Chets and Muffys for the home opener, and I am crapping you negative: On our way to our seats, we passed no fewer than 6 babies (who were uniformly being held in their mothers' arms). Six! We actually stopped to ask an usher whether there had been some baby photo shoot or something in that area. The guy laughed, saying 'no.' This guy (the usher) dates to the days of the Aud, and he shared our amazement at and confusion over how many little (little) kids are brought to games nowadays.

When I took a stroll after the second period (I was near where they broadcast last year), I saw yet another mom with her baby in one of those pouch/carrier things -- she (the mom) was sipping on what appeared to be some of the blended Canadian stuff.

Bizarre.

Edited by That Aud Smell

We sat with the Chets and Muffys for the home opener, and I am crapping you negative: On our way to our seats, we passed no fewer than 6 babies (who were uniformly being held in their mothers' arms). Six! We actually stopped to ask an usher whether there had been some baby photo shoot or something in that area. The guy laughed, saying 'no.' This guy (the usher) dates to the days of the Aud, and he shared our amazement at and confusion over how many little (little) kids are brought to games nowadays.

Thought: that may have more to do with more ladies coming to the games. I'd think back in the Aud days, the crowd was a lot more male and the moms stayed home.

As a second thought (two in one day, I'm on a roll!) it may also be the attitude that moms get to still have a life that's a lot more prevalent these days. Both of these things are good. Other than the noise, baby hearing is sensitive.

When I took a stroll after the second period (I was near where they broadcast last year), I saw yet another mom with her baby in one of those pouch/carrier things -- she (the mom) was sipping on what appeared to be some of the blended Canadian stuff.

Bizarre.

And those people will be shocked when they come across some rowdy fans like everybody is supposed to alter their behavior to protect their child. There are times and places for adults to enjoy adult entertainment, and they are becoming endangered.

Thought: that may have more to do with more ladies coming to the games. I'd think back in the Aud days, the crowd was a lot more male and the moms stayed home.

As a second thought (two in one day, I'm on a roll!) it may also be the attitude that moms get to still have a life that's a lot more prevalent these days. Both of these things are good. Other than the noise, baby hearing is sensitive.

I think those are both good points. I dunno. When our kids were little, we didn't go out much. If we did venture out with a baby in tow, we picked our spots. Arenas and stadiums aren't the sort of venue I would've chosen for such excursions.

And those people will be shocked when they come across some rowdy fans like everybody is supposed to alter their behavior to protect their child. There are times and places for adults to enjoy adult entertainment, and they are becoming endangered.

I'm pretty sure a hockey game is a decent environment for a toddler. I'm bringing my boy as soon as I feel he'd ready for a 3 hour jaunt. The F'NC isn't the Ralph.

Now it's a decent environment for a toddler, because everything is turning G-rated. I should have bolded which part I was referring to.

I really don't see it as a big deal. Is it really that hard to be aware of your surroundings and not throw out F-bombs every other word? You can still enthusiastically support your team without being a drunken potty mouth. IMO if you are that type of fan, you're still being a dick even with no kids around.

I really don't see it as a big deal. Is it really that hard to be aware of your surroundings and not throw out F-bombs every other word? You can still enthusiastically support your team without being a drunken potty mouth. IMO if you are that type of fan, you're still being a dick even with no kids around.

Is this about language? Feel free to speak how ever you'd like.

No it's not about language or a burning desire to be a dick. Sorry I brought it up.

I'm not entirely sure that's the case. I have yet to get a hairy eyeball from any parent of a young child for any hootin' or hollerin' I do.

I'm pretty sure a hockey game is a decent environment for a toddler. I'm bringing my boy as soon as I feel he'd ready for a 3 hour jaunt. The F'NC isn't the Ralph.

Agreed on all counts. The question is the extent to which the child's attention will be held. Your mileage may vary.

My little one went to the prospect scrimmage and enjoyed it for a period. I didn't want to push it, but it was pretty good. It was very toddler friendly. Do they get in free to real games?

Sounds about right on a kid's tolerance for a live sporting event. I will DM you on your question.

This is fair.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that kids just seem to be showing up err-where nowadays. I was at a white linen fine dining joint not too long ago -- the sort of place where you can easily drop $200 on a dinner for two -- and, at the table next to us, arrived a young couple with a baby (who was asleep in a car seat (initially at least)) and a toddler. The kids were reasonably quiet, but, still -- it killed the vibe to have them there. At one point, the little girl kindly wanted to show her drawing to my wife (to whom all children are drawn (because super-mom vibe)). We'd just left a slew of our own kids at home. I was almost like, "STEP OFF, LITTLE MISS--THIS AIN'T PEARL STREET!" But I settled for the pained smile, nervous light laughter, and arched eyebrows at the parents.

Going off track.. but what the heck.

Why does society have this aversion to kids as though they are some kind of nuisance? The tolerance level for children these days seems to be diminishing at a record rate. It's rather sad.

There's no need to act like a disrespectful jackass at any point in time. I don't care if my kid is at the game or not. It bothers me. There's a huge difference between cheering your team and being a public embarrassment.

Why does society have this aversion to kids as though they are some kind of nuisance? The tolerance level for children these days seems to be diminishing at a record rate. It's rather sad.

There's no need to act like a disrespectful jackass at any point in time. I don't care if my kid is at the game or not. It bothers me. There's a huge difference between cheering your team and being a public embarrassment.

I don't think anyone here is condoning "being a public embarrassment". But if I want to tell a referee to "go f*ck yourself" at the top of my lungs, I'm going to, because it's sports. And if the parent in front of me doesn't think their kid should hear that kind of language, take em to the BPO.

Reminds me of a guy that watches the BIlls games at the Buffalo bar I go to here in Texas. Seems like every other word out of his mouth is the F-bomb and he doesn't just shout it, he screams it. Every. Single. Play. One of the most negative sports fans I've ever seen; when the Bills score, the best he says is, "IT'S ABOUT FXXXIN' TIME!" I sat next to him one game and learned my lesson. I went there last week, started to sit and noticed he was there and moved down several seats.

Now don't get me wrong, this is a bar. There's going to be some cussing, especially when you've got people from Buffalo watching a Bills game. I get it. But geez, not everyone wants to hear someone go off with F-bombs after every play. It's just boorish, infantile behavior.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

I don't think anyone here is condoning "being a public embarrassment". But if I want to tell a referee to "go f*ck yourself" at the top of my lungs, I'm going to, because it's sports. And if the parent in front of me doesn't think their kid should hear that kind of language, take em to the BPO.

The last Panthers-Sabres game I went to I had a couple behind me tell me to sit down when I cheered for a Sabres goal. I wasn't heckling, swearing, being obnoxious....... I stood up, cheered for about 15 seconds and this guy got in my face. His face was buried in his cell phone the entire game. In an effort to keep it civil I just told him that I paid to come support my team and it's a shame he couldn't do that for his local team. I said if his texting buddies were so much more important that there was a Starbucks at Sawgrass Mills.

I don't think it's about the kiddies. It's about the parents and their lack of parenting ability nowadays. The lack of control of parents respect for everyone else in public is what burns me.

I shouldn't have to have little Johnny kicking the back of my seat at Ruby Tuesday's while the parents do nothing other than say little Johnny stop that. Which of course he never does. To those type of parents I just want to say, that kid your insisting everybody notice is no more special than anyone else's. In fact your kid is an ugly baby.

Your kid is an ugly baby.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.