Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Nicely done.  You're hired Mr. NHL Draft Lottery Commissioner. 

That said, what really really really really bothers me is the lack of transparency in the lottery process.   From what I've been told (by the NHL):

"Fourteen balls, numbered 1 to 14, are placed in a lottery machine. The machine expels four balls, forming a series of numbers. The four-digit series resulting from the expulsion of the balls is matched against a probability chart that divides the possible combinations among the 14 participating clubs."

So when the numbers start coming up you will know if BUF is still in the running.    Why not televise this?   Why not make the probability chart public?  Or at least make it available on-demand on NHL.com?   What are they trying to hide!?   WHO IS PICKING THE NUMBERS??!!  WHO THE ###### IS PICKING THE GODDAMN NUMBERS AND WHY CAN'T WE WATCH!!!

So good

Is everyone safely backing off the ledge now? It's amazing how one win from the Coyotes changes everyone's tune. I have been saying all along that the randomness inherent in sports/hockey, coupled with the Sabres statistics demonstrating that they are the worst team, would mean it will be very difficult for the Coyotes to make up the gap with so few games left.

There was very little chance IMO that the Coyotes would finish the season undefeated (CHL), just because hockey is so fluid and unpredictable.

I'm still very much on the ledge, just looking over carefully, not screaming like a mad person ready to jump.  A CHL win on Thursday and we're right back at that level of insanity, though.  Lots of games left.

I'm still very much on the ledge, just looking over carefully, not screaming like a mad person ready to jump.  A CHL win on Thursday and we're right back at that level of insanity, though.  Lots of games left.

I guess all my breakdowns today can't stop everyone from panicking. oh well... :unsure:

Yeah, it's strange. But I'm guessing they too a smooth curve and then rounded things to 0.5% increments to keep the numbers easier. With 0.5% increments you could have 200 balls in the hopper. If you did 0.1% increments, you'd need 1000.

bingo....pun intended

Why don't they just throw 14 damn balls with team logos on them into one of those home bingo sets you buy Grammy. You know the metal spheres with the crank.... First logo out wins =solved

Or some variability of that

Uh, because they want to give the 1st place finisher a 20% chance of winning rather than a 7.14% chance? :unsure:

Uh, because they want to give the 1st place finisher a 20% chance of winning rather than a 7.14% chance? :unsure:

To be fair the big spinning bingo Grammy ball holder then spiter out thing would need something like ...

14- last place team balls

13- 29th place team balls

12- 28th place team balls

till eventually you place the 14th placed team's lone ball in.

Not being the math wizard here, but I believe that would be 105 balls in the translucent spinning orb of NHL draft lottery luck.

Now that's reality TV right there, that should be televised!

They just need a 1000 ball machine, 200 with Sabres logs, 135 with Coyotes... etc.

Actually, I don't mind the 14 ball, 4 ball number and probability chart.   It's nice.

What I don't like is the fact they keep the drawing a secret and we're just supposed to trust that everything is on the up and up.  

Why not televise it live?  Why not make it available on-demand?  WHAT ARE THEY TRYING TO HIDE!  

I think it would be awesome if the Sabres tied or lost this first home game because that, to me, all but guarantees 30th. The odds are now greatly in our favor, however, if we manage to beat Arizona twice and I think we will beat Toronto the way they are playing and win one other game - that gets worrisome because Arizona would only have 6 games left and I could see them losing every one of them. The tiebreaker is huge because I think the chances are pretty good that we actually tie in points. I think it's a 2 team race at least and the Oilers are safely out of contention. Arizona coming back on Detroit and winning in regulation OT with 5 goals should be the game of the year in this race.

To be fair the big spinning bingo Grammy ball holder then spiter out thing would need something like ...

14- last place team balls

13- 29th place team balls

12- 28th place team balls

till eventually you place the 14th placed team's lone ball in.

Not being the math wizard here, but I believe that would be 105 balls in the translucent spinning orb of NHL draft lottery luck.

Now that's reality TV right there, that should be televised!

Doesn't allow for the odds the league wants.   And, as w/ the current system, once one is chosen, everybody knows which was chosen; if that is shown on live tv, it makes for a rather anticlimactic opening of the team envelopes. ;)

They just need a 1000 ball machine, 200 with Sabres logs, 135 with Coyotes... etc.

Actually, I don't mind the 14 ball, 4 ball number and probability chart.   It's nice.

What I don't like is the fact they keep the drawing a secret and we're just supposed to trust that everything is on the up and up.  

Why not televise it live?  Why not make it available on-demand?  WHAT ARE THEY TRYING TO HIDE!  

Why go to 1,000 when everything is in multiples of 0.5%?  200 should work.

Doesn't allow for the odds the league wants.   And, as w/ the current system, once one is chosen, everybody knows which was chosen; if that is shown on live tv, it makes for a rather anticlimactic opening of the team envelopes. ;)

Why go to 1,000 when everything is in multiples of 0.5%?  200 should work.

1000 balls would increase the randomness vs using just 200 balls.    ps, i was a maths magor, don't argue with me.

I know that, I'm at work, just being silly, that's why my short disclaimer at the end of some formulation.

Have some old experienced bingo caller lady spin it up and call out the team

I know that, I'm at work, just being silly, that's why my short disclaimer at the end of some formulation.

Have some old experienced bingo caller lady spin it up and call out the team

I see your point! It's not about the perfect mathematical scenario, it's about good tv and keeping it simple and transparent so no one thinks  the NHL is a bunch of back room closed door cheats!

Yep, even with a handful of guys taking their foot off the gas the yotes get blown out last night. It's like we've always said, players don't ever, ever tank.

I don't think a collection of players will ever tank. The furthest down the tank would go is coaching, which is the advantage the Coyotes have over us on the home stretch. After watching the last handful of Yotes games, it's clear the strategy is not to grind out a 0-0 tie. Between forechecking heavily on the PK or attempting unorthodox and complex PP set plays, this awfully bad team is taking chances not even a highly skilled team would be successful with. I'm thinking they got the marching orders to try new things. I'm sure Tippett has envisioned some wild plays over the years and now is his time to try them. Especially if that means failing horribly. 

I don't think a collection of players will ever tank. The furthest down the tank would go is coaching, which is the advantage the Coyotes have over us on the home stretch. After watching the last handful of Yotes games, it's clear the strategy is not to grind out a 0-0 tie. Between forechecking heavily on the PK or attempting unorthodox and complex PP set plays, this awfully bad team is taking chances not even a highly skilled team would be successful with. I'm thinking they got the marching orders to try new things. I'm sure Tippett has envisioned some wild plays over the years and now is his time to try them. Especially if that means failing horribly. 

that's called advanced tanking.

ps-GV great part of CA

What's a maths magor?

mathS is british(or maybe Canadian too?? not sure) maGor?--hmmmm

That assumes they are trying them against a competent team.  :flirt: