Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Most of us have played organized sports on some level, I played baseball into my college years and I'm a very competitive person. But I can't begin to imagine the level of competitive fire that burns in the belly of a professional athlete. I just can't believe that even if an athlete were to entertain the fleeting thought of tanking for the greater good of the franchise, that that notion would last for even one millisecond once he steps on the ice. These guys just aren't wired for it. We've all heard how pissed they get when reporters ask them about tanking. It's offensive to who they are at their very core and I don't blame them one bit for getting testy. When it appears that players might be in on the tank it's because collectively as a team they just aren't very good.

Agreed.

At worst someone would become apathetic in a losing environment. No one would lose on purpose unless it helped them personally.

Most of us have played organized sports on some level, I played baseball into my college years and I'm a very competitive person. But I can't begin to imagine the level of competitive fire that burns in the belly of a professional athlete. I just can't believe that even if an athlete were to entertain the fleeting thought of tanking for the greater good of the franchise, that that notion would last for even one millisecond once he steps on the ice.  These guys just aren't wired for it.  We've all heard how pissed they get when reporters ask them about tanking.  It's offensive to who they are at their very core and I don't blame them one bit for getting testy.  When it appears that players might be in on the tank it's because collectively as a team they just aren't very good.

So Hodgson is the exception that proves the rule?  :angel:

Is everyone safely backing off the ledge now? It's amazing how one win from the Coyotes changes everyone's tune. I have been saying all along that the randomness inherent in sports/hockey, coupled with the Sabres statistics demonstrating that they are the worst team, would mean it will be very difficult for the Coyotes to make up the gap with so few games left.

There was very little chance IMO that the Coyotes would finish the season undefeated (CHL), just because hockey is so fluid and unpredictable.

Is everyone safely backing off the ledge now? It's amazing how one win from the Coyotes changes everyone's tune. I have been saying all along that the randomness inherent in sports/hockey, coupled with the Sabres statistics demonstrating that they are the worst team, would mean it will be very difficult for the Coyotes to make up the gap with so few games left.

There was very little chance IMO that the Coyotes would finish the season undefeated (CHL), just because hockey is so fluid and unpredictable.

I think, in general, sports fans are very reluctant to acknowledge the degree to which luck matters. And Buffalo fans in particular don't exactly have a strong track record of the luck breaking our way :lol:

I think, in general, sports fans are very reluctant to acknowledge the degree to which luck matters. And Buffalo fans in particular don't exactly have a strong track record of the luck breaking our way :lol:

I would say that the Buffalo luck has been about the same in the long-term as every other franchise, it's just that all of our high-profile playoff/key game luck events have all been on the bad side of the ledger.

Good man. This is why belief in the shart must never waver.

Still, I fully expect a roller coaster of posting irrationality unlike anything we've ever seen come tomorrow night.  :P

Still, I fully expect a roller coaster of posting irrationality unlike anything we've ever seen come tomorrow night.  :P

Oh of course. Fans are gonna overreact on every minute of hockey left.

*CHL speak off*

Just to provide perspective, I would safely say that the Sabres (currently at 47 pts with 9 games remaining) will go 2-6-1 the rest of the year, which would put us at 52 points. In this scenario, the Coyotes games account for the two wins.

The Coyotes (currently at 52 pts with 8 games remaining) would have to go 0-8-0 the rest of the year to tie us, and would still finish 29th due to the ROW tiebreaker.

Let's go further: (note all of the below scenarios are with ARI losing both head to head games with BUF)

Sabres 3-5-1 for 54 pts, means Coyotes go 0-7-1 to finish at 53 pts.

Sabres 3-4-2 for 55 pts, means Coyotes go 1-7-0 or 0-6-2 to finish at 54 pts.

Sabres 4-3-2 for 57 pts, still means Coyotes have to go at best 2-6-0 or 1-5-2 to finish at 56 pts.

I really don't think Buffalo has any chance of performing at .500 or better, so I stopped the analysis there. By my eye, the Sabres have to perform way above their season performance and the Coyotes need to basically go winless for this to even be close, and even then we have the tiebreaker to finish DFL.

Edit: not to mention if the Sabres split with the Coyotes, it's basically over. All of the above analysis was worst case scenario we lose both to Arizona.

Edited by Tchaikovsky по Boyes

If you would have asked me almost a decade ago, if I thought it possible the most prolific and talked about game for the next ten years was going to be a game between two of the worst teams to step onto the ice in years, one of them being the Sabres, with it's consequences being huge? I'd call you an idiot and a liar, and be very upset.  Yet here I am, as we all are, as emotionally charged as I have been in a decade of Buffalo sports.  The worst part is, I'm actually exited...this is one of the weirdest, azz backward fan rides ever!!

Edited by Woods-Racer

No way in hell I'm backing off until those two Yotes games are over...or we lose (win) tomorrow night.

Oh of course. Fans are gonna overreact on every minute of hockey left.

*CHL speak off*

Just to provide perspective, I would safely say that the Sabres (currently at 47 pts with 9 games remaining) will go 2-6-1 the rest of the year, which would put us at 52 points. In this scenario, the Coyotes games account for the two wins.

The Coyotes (currently at 52 pts with 8 games remaining) would have to go 0-8-0 the rest of the year to tie us, and would still finish 29th due to the ROW tiebreaker.

Let's go further: (note all of the below scenarios are with ARI losing both head to head games with BUF)

Sabres 3-5-1 for 54 pts, means Coyotes go 0-7-1 to finish at 53 pts.

Sabres 3-4-2 for 55 pts, means Coyotes go 1-7-0 or 0-6-2 to finish at 54 pts.

Sabres 4-3-2 for 57 pts, still means Coyotes have to go at best 2-6-0 or 1-5-2 to finish at 56 pts.

I really don't think Buffalo has any chance of performing at .500 or better, so I stopped the analysis there. By my eye, the Sabres have to perform way above their season performance and the Coyotes need to basically go winless for this to even be close, and even then we have the tiebreaker to finish DFL.

Edit: not to mention if the Sabres split with the Coyotes, it's basically over. All of the above analysis was worst case scenario we lose both to Arizona.

I appreciate that analysis. I didn't run the numbers, but after the Yotes win yesterday, I felt like that Buffalo pretty much locked it up.

Caution to the wind, you are comparing stats to show how bad Buffalo is, but I would remind you that Arizona has a very different roster following the trade deadline. I perceived Arizona as worse than their stats (because I felt the stats were skewed from the first half of the year) and that is why I thought they would be as likely as Buffalo to lose out the rest of the games.

Until Buffalo finishing 30th is official, I will continue to have interrupted REM, but my need to get sloshed every night is diminishing.

I appreciate that analysis. I didn't run the numbers, but after the Yotes win yesterday, I felt like that Buffalo pretty much locked it up.

Caution to the wind, you are comparing stats to show how bad Buffalo is, but I would remind you that Arizona has a very different roster following the trade deadline. I perceived Arizona as worse than their stats (because I felt the stats were skewed from the first half of the year) and that is why I thought they would be as likely as Buffalo to lose out the rest of the games.

Until Buffalo finishing 30th is official, I will continue to have interrupted REM, but my need to get sloshed every night is diminishing.

I understand that the Coyotes have a perceived much worse team since the trade deadline. The point I was trying to get at is best demonstrated by:

"Sabres 3-5-1 for 54 pts, means Coyotes go 0-7-1 to finish at 53 pts."

I would suggest that most around here don't think the Sabres will win 3 more games, but even with us winning 3 games and taking a fourth to an OT loss, the Coyotes still have to basically go winless to get below our mark of 54 points. As the number of games goes down, it takes a much more drastic win loss descrepancy to make up the current 5 point gap.

Even in the above scenario, if the Coyotes go 1-7-0 (which is really horrible), the Sabres still take 30th due to ROW tiebreaker. Most Coyotes fan(s) would say 1-7-0 would be a great way to finish the season, but based on the point spread that still wouldn't be enough.

I understand that the Coyotes have a perceived much worse team since the trade deadline. The point I was trying to get at is best demonstrated by:

I would suggest that most around here don't think the Sabres will win 3 more games, but even with us winning 3 games and taking a fourth to an OT loss, the Coyotes still have to basically go winless to get below our mark of 54 points. As the number of games goes down, it takes a much more drastic win loss descrepancy to make up the current 5 point gap.

Even in the above scenario, if the Coyotes go 1-7-0 (which is really horrible), the Sabres still take 30th due to ROW tiebreaker. Most Coyotes fan(s) would say 1-7-0 would be a great way to finish the season, but based on the point spread that still wouldn't be enough.

Yotes twice, Toronto and Carolina...I could see Buffalo taking those 4 games. Let's also hope that Pitt will be playing for playoff positioning when we face them in the final game. Still not comfortable yet but that analysis definitely helps.

I get ya'. It was mentioned from a couple others about moving back from the ledge, and my sentiment existed because of how bad Arizona had become post-trade deadline and the "compete" that Buffalo was showing under Nolan.  :flirt:

The win yesterday helped me because, as your analysis points out, we are almost at that breaking point when you can consider it a done-deal.

Yotes twice, Toronto and Carolina...I could see Buffalo taking those 4 games. Let's also hope that Pitt will be playing for playoff positioning when we face them in the final game. Still not comfortable yet but that analysis definitely helps.

The schedule with these teams noted is why I landed on the 3-5-1 record. Taking 7 points from those teams is IMO the worst case scenario. Even with that worst case scenario the Coyotes would need to be pretty putrid to take last from us.

I get ya'. It was mentioned from a couple others about moving back from the ledge, and my sentiment existed because of how bad Arizona had become post-trade deadline and the "compete" that Buffalo was showing under Nolan.  :flirt:

The win yesterday helped me because, as your analysis points out, we are almost at that breaking point when you can consider it a done-deal.

Even with how bad Arizona was, they still only made up a little ground on us. As evidenced by yesterday's game, they are still professional athletes, odds say they are bound to win a game or two as a result.

The schedule with these teams noted is why I landed on the 3-5-1 record. Taking 7 points from those teams is IMO the worst case scenario. Even with that worst case scenario the Coyotes would need to be pretty putrid to take last from us.

Even with how bad Arizona was, they still only made up a little ground on us. As evidenced by yesterday's game, they are still professional athletes, odds say they are bound to win a game or two as a result.

What if Patrick Kane still has a vendetta with the cabbie from a few years back? What then! Oh God, it's slipping away, I can feel it