Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

All of their first round picks have not been duds. Yakupov is the only dud. They all just play the same game, and Hall is the only one who appears able to do it an elite level. Both Eichel and McDavid play a game-changing elite level of hockey. They will change any franchise that takes them.

I know we want to suddenly convince ourselves that we can get into the top two via trade, but it's still not happening.

I guess "duds" was too strong of a word. I don't think they're busts, it's just Edm has accomplished nothing by having them. I'm sure they would flourish on decent teams, but it's just not happening in their current situation. That's why I'm not exactly convinced McEichel is suddenly going to cure all ills there. You place him on their current roster and they're still not going to playoffs.

As for a trade with Buffalo, I would still not trade Girgs+Risto/Zads/Myers+all 3 firsts for McEichel. That would effectively gut our team.

Edited by kas23

I guess "duds" was too strong of a word. I don't think they're busts, it's just Edm has accomplished nothing by having them. I'm sure they would flourish on decent teams, but it's just not happening in their current situation. That's why I'm not exactly convinced McEichel is suddenly going to cure all ills there. You place him on their current roster and they're still not going to playoffs.

As for a trade with Buffalo, I would still not trade Girgs+Risto/Zads/Myers+all 3 firsts for McEichel. That would effectively gut our team.

Luckily they won't have to join the current roster. They'll join a roster that will likely add a guy like Darnell Nurse. And I'm sure Edmonton won't stand pat this offseason.

They did last year. Can't take this doom and gloom seriously since you were wrong the first time. I thought the deal was you'd lay off it if we finished last last year?

Last year wasn't the "first time." It was the third time, and the only time they didn't pile up some meaningless wins to screw up their draft position. Last year's posts were mostly superstition; this year it's because this team is overruling whatever the stars say should be happening.

EDIT: My mistake. Last year was the *fourth time*. We were dead last in the league on January 1st, 2011. Screwed that up as well.

Edited by Robviously

Gosh, I thought advanced statistics were going to assure us of a top pick though.

They do, unfortunately they have not devised a stat that figures in facing ###### back up goaltending because that one definitely does not have them getting a top two pick

Last year wasn't the "first time." It was the third time, and the only time they didn't pile up some meaningless wins to screw up their draft position. Last year's posts were mostly superstition; this year it's because this team is overruling whatever the stars say should be happening.

EDIT: My mistake. Last year was the *fourth time*. We were dead last in the league on January 1st, 2011. Screwed that up as well.

Figures that they screw up in 2013 & now in 2015 where the draft is particularly strong at the top, but in 2014 where the draft is good but not great they finish dead last.

So we were in last and didn't finish last, but this year we're not in last and it's season over already? Nice. You sir are a terrible CHL fan and do not deserve the spoils of victory :P

And for the millionth time, I'm not crying if we "only" get Strome. We win 10/13 and were still only a handful of points away from the Shart. I think we're virtually guaranteed a top-5 finish.

So we were in last and didn't finish last, but this year we're not in last and it's season over already? Nice. You sir are a terrible CHL fan and do not deserve the spoils of victory :P

And for the millionth time, I'm not crying if we "only" get Strome. We win 10/13 and were still only a handful of points away from the Shart. I think we're virtually guaranteed a top-5 finish.

Also, we did win last night, and these posts of doom always come out after wins, but people forget we lost four in a row before last night, if we won 20% of our games the rest of the season I think we'd wind up where this thread wants us :P

At the rate things are going, getting Strome might take a miracle. The Sabres are within striking distance of half a dozen teams ahead of them in the standings. An exit from the bottom ten in January is possible.

The Sabres started the season 2-9-1. Since then they're 12-10-2. The Sabres aren't going to go back to the dysfunction they went through in October. They're on an upward trajectory while teams around them fall apart (e.g. New Jersey).

This isn't the tank you're looking for.

This team was supposed to be leading the CHL. They're not, and there are more aggressive contenders for the top. This is not the tank that the tank people were selling before the season began.

I don't think anyone could have predicted Edmonton's attempt at having the worst season in the history of the NHL. The Sabres have a good chance of catching everyone else.

This team was supposed to be leading the CHL. They're not, and there are more aggressive contenders for the top. This is not the tank that the tank people were selling before the season began.

As much as we would like to have McEichle I can't imagine being worse than Edmonton right now. Regardless of the prize i just can't see how being that bad would be good for this organization.

If we were leading the CHL right now we would be in serious trouble. McEichle or no McEichle.

Time for Murray to pull the plug. Finishing out of the top 2 drafting positions just doesn't make any sense for this franchise. After reading and hearing about McEichel and the Sabres prospect pool I'm even more convinced that McEichel is needed. The Sabres have lots of 2nd and 3rd line players and some of them will be NHL players. They're missing the top line players that can score at critical times and are difficult to get via trade or FA.

Time for Murray to pull the plug. Finishing out of the top 2 drafting positions just doesn't make any sense for this franchise. After reading and hearing about McEichel and the Sabres prospect pool I'm even more convinced that McEichel is needed. The Sabres have lots of 2nd and 3rd line players and some of them will be NHL players. They're missing the top line players that can score at critical times and are difficult to get via trade or FA.

Oof. Barring a lottery win, it ain't gonna happen. Dylan Strome is probably our best case scenario at this point.

I gotta say... this imagined scenario with Tim Murray and Ted Nolan, apparently LaFontaine hires — LaFontaine, who may have quit because of philosophical differences about the direction of things — speaking out one side of their mouths to their pro-tank overlords while they work together to sabotage the tank is quite juicy.