Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I would not trade Myers for all the tea in Detroit, or any place else, for that matter.

He is slowly and finally becoming the player we all envisioned / hoped for when we drafted him.

Me neither. He's worth holding on to to see if he turns into a true #1 defensemen. Nothing to lose, we don't need more draft picks.

I would not trade Myers for all the tea in Detroit, or any place else, for that matter.

He is slowly and finally becoming the player we all envisioned / hoped for when we drafted him.

I just don't think it's pertinent to trade him right now. Trade him next year if you decide you're going to pay Ristolainen in the summer when his ELC runs out. Or pay Rasmus if you have room and move Myers in 2017 when Zadorov's ELC runs out and you're going to pay him.

The timing of moving Myers right now doesn't make sense.

He was billed as a top pair D with offensive skill. He sucks on the powerplay. He is an excellent 2nd pair D. Everyone but Girgs, Risto, Zad and possibly Ennis are expendable for the right price. He is not a cancer and could be part of the new core. But for the right price I would have no problem dealing him.

Exactly what I'm thinking. When he's finally playing at a great level with consistency (hopefully the offense will come), almost everyone is calling for his head. Envision the scenario if we trade him and Zadorov and Risto starts slumping and regress, then we would regret trading him. We don't have any problem with the cap, quite the oposite we barely make the floor. Unless we bring in a couple of veterans I don't see us having any cap-issues the comming years. And by that time we probably know for sure what our strenghts and weaknesses is.

There is a price for everyone technically. There would be a price for Crosby (just one so high very few people would offer it) With that said, I cannot see myself taking a realistic offer for Risto or Girgensons. Ennis is another matter. I Like Ennis. He is probably the best offensive player for the Sabres now, but for a winning team, he would be a great 3rd liner or a good second liner. For the right price, I would listen to offers closely.

I'm getting anxious though. We pretty much know the Sabres aren't making the playoffs, so I would like a trade every 4-6 weeks just for something new on the team to follow.

Absolutely. Problem is I don't think Detroit will go that steep for him. We need a bidding war so hopefully Myers plays out of his mind these next few months. Its becoming obvious he is not a Murray guy.

But he is a Nolan guy, for now, as indicated by his leading the team in ice time by a wide margin.

Murray gave some praise to Myers today on GR.

Talked about his ability to take possession from the other team and move the puck up ice.

The only reason some think he's not a Murray guy is because Dreger keeps talking about how the price for him is too high and Murray has never said ###### you I'm not trading him.

...not that Murray's said that about Zemgus either.

I'm inclined to believe Murray believes what he has said: anyone is available for the right price.

And Myers' price keeps going up.

I don't understand how anyone can say Myers isn't a Murray kind of player. he was very upfront about his preference for puck moving defensemen. Myers is all of that.

I respectfully disagree. I honestly don't see Myers as a high-end puck moving defenseman. I just don't think he is "elite" offensively.

I think Nashville has the league's best group of puck moving defensemen and IMHO Myers would be probably the 6th best puck mover on the Preds (Weber, Josi, Jones, Ellis, and Ekholm).

I am of the opinon that Risto has better offensive upside than Myers.

I respectfully disagree. I honestly don't see Myers as a high-end puck moving defenseman. I just don't think he is "elite" offensively.

I think Nashville has the league's best group of puck moving defensemen and IMHO Myers would be probably the 6th best puck mover on the Preds (Weber, Josi, Jones, Ellis, and Ekholm).

He's not paid to be elite and is better than Ellis and Ekholm. Probably still better than Jones.

I don't understand how anyone can say Myers isn't a Murray kind of player. he was very upfront about his preference for puck moving defensemen. Myers is all of that.

I will go back to what I posted awhile ago. I think with Myers there is a lot more behind the scenes that we don't see. He has always been inconsistent. He has games where he is the best player on the ice. Then he has games where he is completely lost. Makes you think he has some issues between the ears. This guy wasn't seeing a psychologist for no reason. And most likely seeing that psychologist was at the urging of the organization. For all we know the guy could be pn meds. Bottom line we just don't know.

I don't believe Murray wants to hitch his wagon and millions of dollars to him. Since the day he was hired Myers has pretty much been on the block. Yes the asking price is high. Yes most players are tradeable for the right price. If Myers was in the Sabres long term plans Murray wouldn't be letting these persistent rumors float around. Especially with a frail ego that Myers appears to have. Again, for all we know Myers better play of late could be inspired because he wants out. Maybe his agent went to Murray and told him so. Murray says play at the highest level you can and I will maximize what I can get for you.

As a fan we are lucky to know 60% of what goes on in the locker room and in Murray's office. The other 40% is why Murray is a GM and we are posting on a forum.

If Myers was in the Sabres long term plans Murray wouldn't be letting these persistent rumors float around. Especially with a frail ego that Myers appears to have.

As a fan we are lucky to know 60% of what goes on in the locker room and in Murray's office. The other 40% is why Murray is a GM and we are posting on a forum.

The last part of your statement negates the first. We don't know what's going on in Murray's head with respect to Myers. Frankly, I don't care. If he stays that's fine, especially if he continues his current ways. If he goes, I'm sure GMTM will maximize the return.

As for the thought that Myers is playing well just because he wants to get traded, I find the idea ludicrous.

The last part of your statement negates the first. We don't know what's going on in Murray's head with respect to Myers. Frankly, I don't care. If he stays that's fine, especially if he continues his current ways. If he goes, I'm sure GMTM will maximize the return.

As for the thought that Myers is playing well just because he wants to get traded, I find the idea ludicrous.

Why is that ludicrous? The guy can read. He knows he is on the market. How do we not know that in his mind he would love to be a Red Wing? The point you are missing is WE DON'T KNOW. Am I saying it as fact - no. Am I saying its possible- yes.

It is common knowledge that a player tends to perform better in a contract year. The same could be said for a player who is looking to be traded and get a fresh start. IF Myers is expecting to be moved and IF this is what he is hoping for then it would be ludicrous to not think that it is possible he has raised his game with that goal in mind.

Edited by sicknfla

So fun fact. There are currently 5 LHD in the top 30 Rankings:

#3 - Noah Hanafin

#16 - Ivan Provorov

#24 - Carlsson Gabriel

#27 - Jakub Zboril

#30 - Thomas Chabot

Just saying that if Murray wanted to trade Myers and replace him with a LHD... he could do it in the first round of this draft. Provorov would fit. If Jakub Zboril keeps going he could be a really good #2 guy. Murray has options in the draft if he chose to move Myers.

Oh I used the ISS rankings.

What does him not being high end have to do with what I stated? Murray prefers his D to be mobile. He said that. It's on the record. How is Myers not that sort of D man?

I will go back to what I posted awhile ago. I think with Myers there is a lot more behind the scenes that we don't see. He has always been inconsistent. He has games where he is the best player on the ice. Then he has games where he is completely lost. Makes you think he has some issues between the ears. This guy wasn't seeing a psychologist for no reason. And most likely seeing that psychologist was at the urging of the organization. For all we know the guy could be pn meds. Bottom line we just don't know.

I don't believe Murray wants to hitch his wagon and millions of dollars to him. Since the day he was hired Myers has pretty much been on the block. Yes the asking price is high. Yes most players are tradeable for the right price. If Myers was in the Sabres long term plans Murray wouldn't be letting these persistent rumors float around. Especially with a frail ego that Myers appears to have. Again, for all we know Myers better play of late could be inspired because he wants out. Maybe his agent went to Murray and told him so. Murray says play at the highest level you can and I will maximize what I can get for you.

Several times you have said that Myers is not a Murray kind of player. Do you have anything concrete to back that up, or is it all speculation? We know what kind of D man Murray likes. He's on the record with it. Is there anything he has said to lead you to believe Myers is counter to that?

So fun fact. There are currently 5 LHD in the top 30 Rankings:

#3 - Noah Hanafin

#16 - Ivan Provorov

#24 - Carlsson Gabriel

#27 - Jakub Zboril

#30 - Thomas Chabot

Just saying that if Murray wanted to trade Myers and replace him with a LHD... he could do it in the first round of this draft. Provorov would fit. If Jakub Zboril keeps going he could be a really good #2 guy. Murray has options in the draft if he chose to move Myers.

Oh I used the ISS rankings.

And to add to your point if Murray ends up keeping all 3 firsts (or possibly adding another) he will use one on a dman regardless if Myers is here or not.

yeah. Lets be honest. As fans we no little to nothing about what goes on in the locker room, Murrays head or his office. Last year he was pretty transparent and open with the media. This year its like he's been on a leave of absence which may have something to do with his uncles sickness ? But we are no where near 60% knowledge about what goes on with this team behind closed doors. 15 % MAYBE. And most of that is hearsay and innuendo.

yeah. Lets be honest. As fans we no little to nothing about what goes on in the locker room, Murrays head or his office. Last year he was pretty transparent and open with the media. This year its like he's been on a leave of absence which may have something to do with his uncles sickness ? But we are no where near 60% knowledge about what goes on with this team behind closed doors. 15 % MAYBE. And most of that is hearsay and innuendo.

15% is probably more like it.

I didn't read the link, but your quote clearly says AND. If that's a direct cut and paste, it seems like the asking price is all three of those pieces combined. I don't know if either player hits your top 6 criteria, but they're definitely NHL players at this point.

I agree -- it was a package. But not one that I want in exchange for Myers.

Tank mentioned it earlier too, I think one of the most appealing aspects of dealing Myers away for Murray right now is the added benefit (if you're pro tanking) of losing your top d-man. Definitely would help ensure the Sabres get McEichel

Might fall under Murrays "draft manipulation " theory. I just can't see these guys not following through on doing whatever possible to land McEichle. As much as i think it is a BS way to go about it we have come this far might as well finish it.

A number of posters have mentioned this theory -- i.e. that TM will make trades with the goal of weakening the team in order to finish DFL. I think there is NFW that he does this.

Me neither. He's worth holding on to to see if he turns into a true #1 defensemen. Nothing to lose, we don't need more draft picks.

Eggs-actly. He's a good-to-very-good player right now and still young. Trading him for picks/prospects at this point would be crazy -- and also, I think, not the kind of move TM wants to make at this point. I think any trades he makes will be for guys who are ready to play now.

Absolutely. Problem is I don't think Detroit will go that steep for him. We need a bidding war so hopefully Myers plays out of his mind these next few months. Its becoming obvious he is not a Murray guy.

What is this based on?

But he is a Nolan guy, for now, as indicated by his leading the team in ice time by a wide margin.

Correct.

Murray gave some praise to Myers today on GR.

Talked about his ability to take possession from the other team and move the puck up ice.

The only reason some think he's not a Murray guy is because Dreger keeps talking about how the price for him is too high and Murray has never said ###### you I'm not trading him.

...not that Murray's said that about Zemgus either.

I'm inclined to believe Murray believes what he has said: anyone is available for the right price.

And Myers' price keeps going up.

He's never said this about anyone on the team. But last offseason he said that he's never called anyone looking to trade Myers. He said that he'll listen to anyone who calls him about anyone, but if it's Myers, the price will be quite high.

Again: what is this based on? Just the fact that rumors continue to pop up? TM has pretty consistently said that anyone is available for the right price. He's also said that he hasn't called anyone to offer Myers in trade. What else needs to happen?

He's never said this about anyone on the team. But last offseason he said that he's never called anyone looking to trade Myers. He said that he'll listen to anyone who calls him about anyone, but if it's Myers, the price will be quite high.

Again: what is this based on? Just the fact that rumors continue to pop up? TM has pretty consistently said that anyone is available for the right price. He's also said that he hasn't called anyone to offer Myers in trade. What else needs to happen?

Looking over the roster, Myers is of the few players on the team that would return anything worthwhile in trade that's playing well and not a prospect or someone Murray brought in. It's fairly natural that the speculation would be around him. Ennis also fits that description, but his size probably reduces the volume of rumors. That's not counting the UFAs; I think those guys are just expected to go but other teams' fans generally don't have wet-dreams about rentals this early in the season.

You're right. I also think Nikita is playing so well because he has been told it will increase his trade value.

I think with Zadorov there is a lot more behind the scenes that we don't see. He has games where he is the best player on the ice. Then he he gets benched during a freaking prospects tournament. Makes you think he has some issues with motivation. This guy wasn't benched for the first month the season for no reason. Clearly he has weight issues. For all we know he could have addiction issues. Bottom line we just don't know.

I don't believe Murray wants to hitch his wagon and millions of dollars to him. Since the day he was hired I have never heard Murray say anything positive about him. Yes, the asking price is high. Yes most players are tradeable for the right price. If Zadorov was in the Sabres long-term plans Murray would have said so. Especially with that cocky attitude Nikita appears to have. Again, for all we know Zadorov's better play of late could be inspired because he wants out. Maybe his agent went to Murray and told him he was going to go to Russia if he wasn't moved. Murray says play at the highest level you can and I will maximize what I can get for you.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.