Which Team was Closer to Winning the Stanley Cup?

LastPommerFan

Closer to Winning the Stanley Cup  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who Was Closer?

• 1975 Sabres (Lost 4-2 in Stanley Cup Finals)
    • 2006 Sabres (Lost 4-3 in Eastern Conference Finals)

They made it to the Cup Finals in 2002 and lost to a very good Redwings team, retooled quickly, and came out of the lockout with a really good team. Let's also remember that their divisional opponent the Lightning won a Cup in 2004, so it's not like they didn't have to work to escape that division in 2006. Our division, although consistently in the playoff mix, really wasn't noteworthy. Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto? Not to mention Boston was busy tanking in 2006 (look where that got em).

The Canes were easily as good, if not better than us.

The Okra Division was ###### that year. Not good at all. Tampa barely made the playoffs, and the other three teams were horrible. Ottawa was the best team in the East during the regular season, Montreal was good enough as usual, and Toronto barely missed (Tampa pipped them). Meanwhile, the Sabres were peaking. Kicking ass and taking names. They would have overrun Carolina like a horde of Mongols if healthy.

If you are going to take into account the circumstances behind the 75 loss, you have to do the same for the other two. The defense was decimated against the Canes and only a couple pieces may have come back. There still would have been 3 AHL'ers in that game 7 lineup, and Carolina was successfully beating the tar out of us in the previous games. We simply ran out of man power, and I'm not sure that the Canes style of play wouldn't have resulted in further player loss in the next game. They were targeting us. That team went as far as they were going to.

Given the serious injuries to the Stars biggest players, and the fact that we were already in the finals and not an earlier round, I'd have to call that Hasek led team as the closest. A game 7 chance against what would have been a seriously injury depleted Stars team was robbed from us. There was no we can't beat them in their barn like there was in Philly. We were healthy unlike the team in Carolina. We were robbed of the chance to see it happen. You can't say that in the Carolina or Flyers series.

A healthy Dallas team makes a difference. We found out after the game that Dallas was not going to have a couple of their big names if a game 7 happened. Given No Goal and an injury depleted Stars team, we were never closer than 99.

Edited by weave

I like how no one remembers how good the Hurricanes really were.

They are also forgeting how good Edmonton was that year, as well. They took Carolina to game seven even after the Canes knocked Pronger out of the series. I guess injuring D-men was their system that year.

They are also forgeting how good Edmonton was that year, as well. They took Carolina to game seven even after the Canes knocked Pronger out of the series. I guess injuring D-men was their system that year.

Edmonton was an 8 seed that, after beating Detroit, had very favorable matchups to get to the finals. That Carolina needed seven games to beat them speaks more about Carolina than it does about Edmonton.

The Sabres would have cruised.

Edmonton was an 8 seed that, after beating Detroit, had very favorable matchups to get to the finals. That Carolina needed seven games to beat them speaks more about Carolina than it does about Edmonton.

The Sabres would have cruised.

I have never believed that.

They made it to the Cup Finals in 2002 and lost to a very good Redwings team, retooled quickly, and came out of the lockout with a really good team. Let's also remember that their divisional opponent the Lightning won a Cup in 2004, so it's not like they didn't have to work to escape that division in 2006. Our division, although consistently in the playoff mix, really wasn't noteworthy. Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto? Not to mention Boston was busy tanking in 2006 (look where that got em).

The Canes were easily as good, if not better than us.

Our division was home to the best (points-wise) team in the conference for 4 consecutive years following the lockout. And that was 4 different teams each time.

If you believe legend, Scotty Bowman thought it was the 1979/1980 team and their failure led directly to Rick Martin getting the boot.

If not for the Islanders dynasty 1979-80 team we may have spent the last 34 years celebrating that Stanley Cup.

I'll also throw out the Sabres 1992-93 Buffalo Sabres team that beat Boston and lost to the eventual Cup winners in Montreal was as close as any team the Sabres put on the ice to winning a Cup.

• 4 months later...

The 2006 teams wins it all without a run of injuries that can be called extraordinary. In 1975, the better team won. I was at the 1975 final game. I lost my 8th grade "Perfect Attendance" certificate because I lined up all night for SRO seats.

This is exactly correct. And we are very close to the same age; I think I was in 7th grade that year.

Any of you young turks that voted against Bert in the other poll, need to abstain from this vote as you aren't qualified to evaluate the 1975 team in any context whatsoever.

Hats of to Biodork for bringing a measure of integrity to the process.

GO SABRES!!!

Any of you young turks that voted against Bert in the other poll, need to abstain from this vote as you aren't qualified to evaluate the 1975 team in any context whatsoever.

GO SABRES!!!

What if I'm a young turk who voted Hasek out, in favor of Perreault being the greatest, and still think that the 06 team was closer?

What if I'm a young turk who voted Hasek out, in favor of Perreault being the greatest, and still think that the 06 team was closer?

You are then granted the special Young Turk waiver by the senior voting committee. Welcome aboard.

GO SABRES!!!

GO SABRES!!!

What about the old farts that didn't vote in the other poll and still picked '06?

I went with 75.. the 06 team could not beat Brind'Amour in the face off dot. The injuries and the delay of game get the attention, but their failure to control the play in the dot, had them backed into their zone all series long.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.