The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

Does Schaller really honestly have a shot at being an NHL player? I always pictured him as forever-Rochester like Leduc or Varone or somethin

I would have no idea, just an impression I got, but he's popping up more and more as having a chance

Schaller is much more Matt Ellis or Kevin Porter than Varone. He's got an NHL body and he plays tough and sound defensively. He could carve out a niche as a 4th line Pk type player.

I am stating this in a pro-tank thread because I am growing tired of arguing with the anti-tank crowd.

- I am NOT cheering for the Sabres to win a single game this year, even if it comes to the point where last overall is no longer possible. I still want a shot at the best pick possible.

- I SUFFERED last year(one of the worst if not the worst in franchise history), and am ready to SUFFER for the remaining 50 or so games if it means the best shot at drafting McEichel.

- I am NOT happy when they win.

- Despite being a fan since their inception, there are so few players on this team that will be around when they get back to the playoffs, plus the shot at McEichel, that makes it easier than I thought when Darcy first spoke the word...suffering.

- I want the kids to look good, but in losing efforts.

- If I am forced to choose between Girgs scoring the GWG in OT or a loss, I am still cheering for a loss.

- My pro-tank stance ends forever when game 82 is completed next April.

- I know my stance pisses off some anti-tankers, but this is my thread to state my position, so if you don't agree with me, get the heck out of this thread. :P

Edited by LabattBlue

If we weren't so close to being able to get McEichel, I wouldn't be a proponent of the tank. But since we are, there's only a difference of a few games between finishing 30th and possibly out of the top ten, tank on. Those few wins are not worth losing a chance at McEichel. Any rebuilding plan that includes the tank as one of its facets has the chance to be a much deeper and quicker rebuild than a rebuilding plan that doesn't include the tank. It provides the most options to rebuild with little or no negatives.

No matter if Murray screws the tank up or not, it's over after this season. The day after the season ends the rebuild should be full on.

I am stating this in a pro-tank thread because I am growing tired of arguing with the anti-tank crowd.

- I am NOT cheering for the Sabres to win a single game this year, even if it comes to the point where last overall is no longer possible. I still want a shot at the best pick possible.

- I SUFFERED last year(one of the worst if not the worst in franchise history), and am ready to SUFFER for the remaining 50 or so games if it means the best shot at drafting McEichel.

- I am NOT happy when they win.

- Despite being a fan since their inception, there are so few players on this team that will be around when they get back to the playoffs, plus the shot at McEichel, that makes it easier than I thought when Darcy first spoke the word...suffering.

- I want the kids to look good, but in losing efforts.

- If I am forced to choose between Girgs scoring the GWG in OT or a loss, I am still cheering for a loss.

- My pro-tank stance ends forever when game 82 is completed next April.

- I know my stance pisses off some anti-tankers, but this is my thread to state my position, so if you don't agree with me, get the heck out of this thread. :P

You're a sucky fan. Sorry man. Go root for the Bruins or something.

You couldn't resist could you? I've been a fan longer than you have been alive, and if I choose to take this stance for the rest of this year, who are you to question it?

How come you didn't turn in your Sabres fan card when Darcy issued the "suffering" statement if it is so repulsive to you?

You couldn't resist could you? I've been a fan longer than you have been alive, and if I choose to take this stance for the rest of this year, who are you to question it?

How come you didn't turn in your Sabres fan card when Darcy issued the "suffering" statement if it is so repulsive to you?

It did repulse me. But I'm not going to actively root for this team to lose. Never. Maybe you should turn in your card. I'm not sure this team needs your "support" anymore just because you're grumpy and jaded.

It did repulse me. But I'm not going to actively root for this team to lose. Never. Maybe you should turn in your card. I'm not sure this team needs your "support" anymore just because you're grumpy and jaded.

We can argue about a lot of things Sabres related, and I'd be wrong probably more than I am right, but don't ever tell me that I need to find another team to root for. :angry:

If I wasn't a better man, I'd tell you to go f....

We can argue about a lot of things Sabres related, and I'd be wrong probably more than I am right, but don't ever tell me that I need to find another team to root for. :angry:

If I wasn't a better man, I'd tell you to go f....

Go ahead. You want to because you feel guilty. I understand. I'm too young and haven't suffered as long as you so how could I possibly understand, right?

And the Knights of the moral high horse have arrived. Their slogan "there's a very specific way for you to be entertained by sports and only we know the formula." It's a ###### entertainment business. Quit acting like you own it.

Go ahead. You want to because you feel guilty. I understand. I'm too young and haven't suffered as long as you so how could I possibly understand, right?

All you had to do was stay out of a pro-tank thread, but you couldn't help yourself. Thanks for your efforts in keeping tank talk civil. Much appreciated. <_<

This is silly, we're all on the same side--we all want the Sabres to be a contender. We just have different ideas about how to go about it. Saying those who favor a strategy which differs from yours are sucky fans is akin to the rest of us saying you're not allowed to cheer for Sam Reinhart because you didn't favor the method used to get him. It's just nonsense.

And the Knights of the moral high horse have arrived. Their slogan "there's a very specific way for you to be entertained by sports and only we know the formula." It's a ###### entertainment business. Quit acting like you own it.

I'm still waiting for all the Tankers to sell out the FNC. Since it entertains you all so much.

This soliloquy is getting old. I am unabashedly in favor of maximizing our odds at getting the bpa this year and then using whatever assets are necessary to continue to improve this team. The build a winning culture argument fails in light that Nolan has been able to do that relatively easily. Besides we are building it for players who may not even be on the roster or in the system yet. Some of the pieces we assume are part of the core may not be in TM's or more importantly TP's eyes. Hell if we were offered Filip Forsberg for Zemgus would anyone balk at making that deal? I too have been following this team since its inception and crave a team and organization able to compete for championships year after year. McEichel isn't the only way to do that by a long shot, but I believe it's the quickest way to reach that goal. I don't root for them to lose, I just don't get too excited when they do. Pyhric victories do nothing for me. But after game 82 is in the books. The die is cast and there is no looking back for me.

This reminds me of perhaps the funniest thing a fan ever yelled towards the Sabre's bench. It was vs. the Jets on 11/26, in the middle of a snooze fest that we eventually lost 2-1 and before we started our roll. He had been ragging on the Sabres the entire game. In the third period he yells in his best Maximus gladiator voice yells:

"Are we not entertained?!!!"

And then answers himself:

"NO!!!!"

GO SABRES!!!

Just because we think it's best for the team long-term does not mean we find the on-ice product itself is entertaining, let alone entertaining enough to spend money on.

This. Speaking for myself personally -- I would be at every game if I had the money and didn't work nights.

This is silly, we're all on the same side--we all want the Sabres to be a contender. We just have different ideas about how to go about it. Saying those who favor a strategy which differs from yours are sucky fans is akin to the rest of us saying you're not allowed to cheer for Sam Reinhart because you didn't favor the method used to get him. It's just nonsense.

This.

After being a Buffalo Sports Fan for over 35 years, I would LOVE for one of my teams to have a superstar, they may have a budding one in the prospect ranks but McEichel seem like surefire ones.

Do the Sabres need McEichel to field a competitive in a few years, no but adding them to this talent pipeline the Sabres have built would be outstanding.

I am taking the Old Bull/Young Bull approach to building a winner. And the Old Bull's Way is much more satisfying

Just because we think it's best for the team long-term does not mean we find the on-ice product itself is entertaining, let alone entertaining enough to spend money on.

Here's the problem: This is no longer a team in tear-down mode. If this was the year where things get blown up, then being on board with the tank makes sense. The idea being "what's the worst that could happen". But we're past the phase where the team being bad is something that makes sense. The ebb and flow of success and failure is on the upswing. They cannot recreate last year without forcing it to happen. There's no going back. Pulling for this team to tank again is counter to progress. You might get that shiny prize player, but at what cost? Because I don't see a McDavid or Eichel without the Sabres paying another pound of flesh. They're going to have to go backwards and they're going to have to do it unwillingly. Plenty seem willing to take that risk. I'm not so sure it ends with sunshine and parades.

Here's the problem: This is no longer a team in tear-down mode. If this was the year where things get blown up, then being on board with the tank makes sense. The idea being "what's the worst that could happen". But we're past the phase where the team being bad is something that makes sense. The ebb and flow of success and failure is on the upswing. They cannot recreate last year without forcing it to happen. There's no going back. Pulling for this team to tank again is counter to progress. You might get that shiny prize player, but at what cost? Because I don't see a McDavid or Eichel without the Sabres paying another pound of flesh. They're going to have to go backwards and they're going to have to do it unwillingly. Plenty seem willing to take that risk. I'm not so sure it ends with sunshine and parades.

I understand what you're saying, but this is where we have our fundamental disagreement. You think legitimate progress has been made and is being made, and I see this team as just about as bad as they were last year. Maybe not quite as terrible, but still a mid-60 point team when all is said and done. I think the team needs one more offseason of changes before they get to the point that you already think they're at. With that, I am going to enter into a self-imposed armistice for the evening :)