SIGNING: Sabres Sign Matt Moulson

spndnchz

Moulson Reinhart Gionta

Foligno Ennis Stafford

Hodgson Girgensons Stewart

Mitchell McCormick Kaleta

Flynn Larsson

That's probably as good as we want to be up front.

Well, I think I'd rather see Reinhart in juniors and Legwand in his slot, but still...

I'd be kinda looking forward to opening night.

I must be crazy.

This plus Gorges waiving to come here really does say something.

OTOH, Matty will be 31 in November and had 17 goals in 64 games last year, plus a real injury. I can live with the $5MM per year, but the 5-year term does concern me a little.

you beat me to it by seconds. I hate the term. Guy is on the downside of his career now - must be one hell of a locker room guy to want to tie themselves to a depreciating asset this long, especially since he isn't tough at all and plays mostly a perimeter game we don't want our guys to emulate.

Well, I think I'd rather see Reinhart in juniors and Legwand in his slot, but still...

I'd be kinda looking forward to opening night.

I must be crazy.

I'm right there with you. I watched Leggy play here in Nashville for many years and he is a very, very good player. Let the kids develop in juniors and in Rochester instead of throwing them to the wolves at 18 year olds.

you beat me to it by seconds. I hate the term. Guy is on the downside of his career now - must be one hell of a locker room guy to want to tie themselves to a depreciating asset this long, especially since he isn't tough at all and plays mostly a perimeter game we don't want our guys to emulate.

I get the concern, but it beats the pants off of overpaying for Orpik like many wanted to. At least Moulson can still play for a few years in the worst case scenario.

Sweet Jeebus, these all seem like good moves with reasonable (if a little over) payments. I don't know how to fit this into the "Everyone hates Buffalo" framework. Oh wait, yes I can: the league is slipping these guys money to make sure Buffalo finishes at #4 and misses out on McDavid/Eichel. Order restored in my head.

Moulson plays a perimeter game? You sure you have the right guy?

Well, he's not a hitter, to be sure, but, like Briere, he scores 'em from the "dirty areas" -- he doesn't linger around the half-wall.

I think TM must be thinking that either or both of Stafford and Stewart will likely be gone after this year, and Reinhart and (hopefully) Eichel will need a good finisher on the wing. (And I think Moulson is thinking the same thing.)

But back on the bad-contract concerns: he's also apparently getting a NTC -- eeesh.

Term is an issue for Matty in the back two years, but $5 million won't be a huge issue if the cap keeps going up.

Matty singing the praises of the Pegulas and Teddy Nolan. Likes teams direction.

They have a good group of young talent part of the reason he want to be there "so badly" is he believes in the direction.

He's just a good guy.

Well, he's not a hitter, to be sure, but, like Briere, he scores 'em from the "dirty areas" -- he doesn't linger around the half-wall.

I think TM must be thinking that either or both of Stafford and Stewart will likely be gone after this year, and Reinhart and (hopefully) Eichel will need a good finisher on the wing. (And I think Moulson is thinking the same thing.)

But back on the bad-contract concerns: he's also apparently getting a NTC -- eeesh.

Thought I'd put it here, it must have ended up in the FAF thread. This is the ONLY contract thst looks bad in 4 years. TM can work w/ that when the kids are starting to gel.

Murray is awesome...

Scotty @ScottySlice 1m

"Looking back: the Sabres traded Moulson and McCormick for Mitchell, Gorges, a 2nd-round pick, Moulson and McCormick."@ScarpalTunnel

Who was the draft pick in that deal?

We technically got Gorges, Mitchell, and WHO...for Moulson and McCormick?

Edited by Bob Malooga

Who will need that money in 5 years?

I think it's pretty obvious we are building around prospects so having a vet take up 5 mil when the first few of our top prospects cheap entry level contracts end isn't too bad.

In year 5 of that contract we should be challenging for a cup. That 5 mill in cap space could be the difference between us bringing in someone to put us over the top, or not being able to. Moulson will be 36 by then, and we know what happens to smallish goal scorers when they hit 30. I would have rather they paid him 3 years 21 mill or even 4 years at whatever. That 5th year really sticks in my craw.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.