SIGNING: Sabres Sign Matt Moulson

spndnchz

yup. Yes he will dart in for a scoring opportunity but he is not a possession player capable of forechecking and playing a power game, which is the kind of team TM is building.

Well he isn't a power forward and you can't have a team full of power forwards. Moulson is a pure goal scorer who plays in the dirty areas, isn't afraid to get hit, and produces points. I think he fits in well with the team build IMO. I guess we'll find out!

In year 5 of that contract we should be challenging for a cup. That 5 mill in cap space could be the difference between us bringing in someone to put us over the top, or not being able to. Moulson will be 36 by then, and we know what happens to smallish goal scorers when they hit 30. I would have rather they paid him 3 years 21 mill or even 4 years at whatever. That 5th year really sticks in my craw.

6'1" 205lbs is smallish? :huh:

yup. Yes he will dart in for a scoring opportunity but he is not a possession player capable of forechecking and playing a power game, which is the kind of team TM is building.

Sorry to be a pest, but if this is the team that GMTM is building, why did GMTM just sign a guy who doesn't do the things that GMTM want done?

In year 5 of that contract we should be challenging for a cup. That 5 mill in cap space could be the difference between us bringing in someone to put us over the top, or not being able to. Moulson will be 36 by then, and we know what happens to smallish goal scorers when they hit 30. I would have rather they paid him 3 years 21 mill or even 4 years at whatever. That 5th year really sticks in my craw.

I completely agree that 3 or 4 would have been better, but no one of value will be leaving RFA before that year, so I doubt we'll need to money.

I completely agree that 3 or 4 would have been better, but no one of value will be leaving RFA before that year, so I doubt we'll need to money.

Maybe not, but I would expect us to give long term deals to some of them while they are still RFAs. For instance, I don't see us bridging Reinhart and next year's #1.

Not worried. We could have an 80 million cap in 5 years and an owner not afraid to buy out players. NMCs get waived all the time.

Maybe not, but I would expect us to give long term deals to some of them while they are still RFAs. For instance, I don't see us bridging Reinhart and next year's #1.

but we won't lose them if we have to bridge 'em.

Again, 3-4 would have been better, this won't kill us.

Vaclav Karabacek

Don't forget Darcy's theft w/ Moulson/Vanek. 5/5 works for me!

That's right. At this point we already have the top rated prospect pool in hockey and have a bunch more picks in the next couple of drafts. Time to make the team better not just keep obsessing over losing on purpose. We've got the prospect to put a very good team together in the near future, whether we're dead last this year or not.

Edited by Potato

but we won't lose them if we have to bridge 'em.

Again, 3-4 would have been better, this won't kill us.

We wouldn't lose them, but we would end up paying them more in the long run, which is sort of self-defeating. I'm not worried about it to be honest, just saying I don't think bridging them is a good option.

Sorry to be a pest, but if this is the team that GMTM is building, why did GMTM just sign a guy who doesn't do the things that GMTM want done?

moulson isn't weak on the puck. He's not going to beat you up, but consistently goes to the scoring areas. Not bad for a guy that can pot 25.

6'1" 205lbs is smallish? :huh:

and gerbe is 5'7".

look at him on the ice. He's not that big. And he certainly doesn't play anywhere near that big. Agree or disagree, I don't care. My point isn't as much about the player as it is about the term. Especially in light of the fact he will be 36 in the final year of that contract.

Your posts are buzzkill and make it obvious you don't like Moulson. Fair enough but please don't tell me this deal will handcuff us anytime down the road. It won't. We have a skill guy coming back and we threw him a bone with NTC. I don't know if it is full or limited but don't care.

This is all good news.

Your posts are buzzkill and make it obvious you don't like Moulson. Fair enough but please don't tell me this deal will handcuff us anytime down the road. It won't. We have a skill guy coming back and we threw him a bone with NTC. I don't know if it is full or limited but don't care.

This is all good news.

I don't see how you can make this statement.

Moulson will be 35 in year 4 of this deal and 36 in year 5. He could easily have fallen completely off the table just in time for the Sabres to have emerged as real Cup contenders -- and a $5MM cap slot at that time will be a precious commodity.

If avoiding a future cap hit was a big reason to trade Ehrhoff, we shouldn't pretend it's not an issue here.

This is all good news.

ahh - sorry to interrupt your happy dance. I like moulson just fine, he's a nice player, but he won't be worth anywhere near 5 mill in 5 years. glad to know you are prescient - despite the fact you don't even know what the deal is, nor do you care.

@reporterchris 30s

Matt Moulson signs with #sabres, per @FriedgeHNIC.

Here is what I like about the deal. He cost money, but no assets were lost. The Sabres got two 2nd round picks for Moulson at the trade deadline. (Cody McCormick for Torrey Mitchell was equal value) The Sabres then give one of those 2nd round picks acquired from Minnesota to Montreal for Josh Gorges.

Moulson and Gorges acquired virtually free. (other than salary)

I don't see how you can make this statement.

Moulson will be 35 in year 4 of this deal and 36 in year 5. He could easily have fallen completely off the table just in time for the Sabres to have emerged as real Cup contenders -- and a $5MM cap slot at that time will be a precious commodity.

If avoiding a future cap hit was a big reason to trade Ehrhoff, we shouldn't pretend it's not an issue here.

Ehrhoff is exactly the parallel. We were just soundly ridiculed for what might happen in the future - and wrongfully so. I think buying erhoff out was a tough decision but the right one. But now we just stuck our dick back in the same knothole we pulled it out of.

Murray is awesome...

Scotty @ScottySlice 1m

"Looking back: the Sabres traded Moulson and McCormick for Mitchell, Gorges, a 2nd-round pick, Moulson and McCormick."@ScarpalTunnel

Who was the draft pick in that deal?

We technically got Gorges, Mitchell, and WHO...for Moulson and McCormick?

Think of it today from the Islanders perspective.

The Sabres got Moulson, Gorges, karabacek, Mitchel, and first and second rounders next year.

The Islanders got Sebastian Collberg and Josh Ho-Sang

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.