SIGNING: Sabres sign Brian Gionta

Hoss

A lot of Montreal fans happy Gionta is gone: too small, too old, standing in the way of younger players.

Also a lot of them bashing Gorges for his lack of size and skill.

I sometimes forget how familiarity breeds contempt in more fan bases than ours.

A lot of Montreal fans happy Gionta is gone: too small, too old, standing in the way of younger players.

Yup. Although these are some of the reasons I'm not worried we ruined the tank :lol:

wesome! I actually spoke to his father in Rochester a few years back. While under the previous ownership, apparently the last time he was a free agent he contacted them Sabres to tell them he wanted to come here & they wouldn't even talk to him!! Great acquisition of a calss act, leader & role model who truly wants to be a Sabre. Welcome Brian....we've been waiting for you.

Just a facebook comment i read on sabres.com

In fairness to Monreal fans, Gio was way overpaid and his production had fallen off a cliff. Not that it wasn't supposed to, he's 150 years old. Our jubilation he signed with the Sabres is as follows:

1) As d4rk said, finally a "local" boy came home. Every newb poster barnstorms this place with all the "sign Kane, Callahan, Stempniak" posts as it finally actually happened. He's old, most washed up and way overpaid, but he's here to provide leadership.

2) A name player chose to come here. He and Moulson have she'd light that players will come here given the right situation and $$$.

In fairness to Monreal fans, Gio was way overpaid and his production had fallen off a cliff. Not that it wasn't supposed to, he's 150 years old. Our jubilation he signed with the Sabres is as follows:

1) As d4rk said, finally a "local" boy came home. Every newb poster barnstorms this place with all the "sign Kane, Callahan, Stempniak" posts as it finally actually happened. He's old, most washed up and way overpaid, but he's here to provide leadership.

2) A name player chose to come here. He and Moulson have she'd light that players will come here given the right situation and $$$.

Murray added the perfect player to make sure the room is being run the right way, even without wearing a letter. We will never see 80% of the stuff Gionta will do.

In a way, the Montreal situation kind of reminds me of 2007. They're not at the same level as our losses then, but they just let a huge part of their team leadership walk away after making it to the conference finals. The only difference is that they also let Vanek walk.

• 1 month later...

Strong nfreeman. I think he is exactly what we need, he will un-f**k our locker room and motivate and mentor the young guys. With all the great young prospects we have accumulated in the past few years, it would be foolish to not sign a guy like this to stabilize and mentor that locker room. A great way to protect our investments is how I look at it

• 1 month later...

He is a 40 point player max. If he is staring the brick wall in the face, and on this shitstorm of a team, that number could easily go down to 30.

He certainly has been invisible through the first five, save the penalty he took that lost that game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.