Specific topics vs. Generic topics Discussion

SDS

Three things that I think detract from the board

1. Thread Police

2. Spelling Police

3. Internet Explorer. Can't tell you how many times the IE refuses to honor the "post" button.

I hope we are a welcoming board. I hope people would be encouraged to post and not be run off.

What version of IE? And why not use another browser?

One thing the mods do a really good job with here: Either blending duplicate topics or closing down a duplicate topic with direction to the original so posters can find it. TBD is the opposite; the mods there just shut down a topic without telling the reader where to go.

So thanks for that, mod team. I know it takes a little extra work.

As for the threadcreep, I'm as guilty as anyone; I'll try to be better.

At least I don't have to read about how Lindy hates toughness in seven simultaneous topics anymore, though!

Go to post #38 and click on my quote so it takes you to the actual post. It won't because it's gone along with at least two other replies to said post. I have the Email notifications.

This forum doesn't need policing. If posters get out of hand, a simple thread reminding people of forum etiquette would suffice. If the forum starts getting more policed posters are just going to leave. And with another last place finish looking on the horizon losing posters is the last thing this place needs.

JJ made a joke post, D4rk and I responded in kind. Probably illustrated exactly the insider stuff being talked about, but that only made sure it was on topic. Pretty harmless, lighthearted stuff. All three posts were deleted.

From the draft lottery format thread:

Not saying TBD is the paragon of sanity,but I say PTRs point is valid about the board looks dead and if you are not in the twelve or so posters who dominate, you are pretty much viewed as a moron.

I get y'all think this is a "smarter" board, i don't agree, as there is such a paucity of opinion.

For the few that dominate, i get its a great board.For us others, not so much!

I feel the same way about TBD; dominated by a few.

I wish you didn't feel that way about SS and if there's something I can do to change it, please let me know.

For your part, I've usually found your contributions to be thoughtful.

Edited by Eleven

What version of IE? And why not use another browser?

I use Mozilla without issue, but it is not my primary browzer.

I am stuck on IE9 on my work laptop, So if I am using that laptop, I have mighty struggles with IE and the post button. I would venture to say 40-50% of the posts fail to post. If I wait for the post to time out, it 100% posts on the second try (after the post button comes back). Usually what I do is copy my post, leave the thread, re-enter the thread and paste it. It 95% of the time posts with this process.

We discussed this in a thread some time ago, IE is unreliable for many on here.

When I am on the Ipad, I have no issues with Safari

I use Mozilla without issue, but it is not my primary browzer.

I am stuck on IE9 on my work laptop, So if I am using that laptop, I have mighty struggles with IE and the post button. I would venture to say 40-50% of the posts fail to post. If I wait for the post to time out, it 100% posts on the second try (after the post button comes back). Usually what I do is copy my post, leave the thread, re-enter the thread and paste it. It 95% of the time posts with this process.

We discussed this in a thread some time ago, IE is unreliable for many on here.

When I am on the Ipad, I have no issues with Safari

I also had trouble with this in the past. Had to switch to Chrome.

Anyone else a touch nervous about posting today? It's like you've been riding a bike for 40 years and then someone says, "Ya know, you're pedaling it backwards." And then you're in a ditch.

We are just talking here. Nothing has been implemented.

We are just talking here. Nothing has been implemented.

Just wish somebody would take ownership of the post deletions and explain why there were deleted. Nothing has been implemented, yet coincidentally there are posts missing in a thread about forum etiquette.

Just wish somebody would take ownership of the post deletions and explain why there were deleted. Nothing has been implemented, yet coincidentally there are posts missing in a thread about forum etiquette.

Let it go already. They were inappropriate for this topic. If the deletion of a bad joke is the worst thing that happens to you this weekend - then you had a great weekend.

Let it go already. They were inappropriate for this topic. If the deletion of a bad joke is the worst thing that happens to you this weekend - then you had a great weekend.

If a silly joke meant to lighten the mood is worthy of deletion, it might be time to move on. I certainly don't want to have to go over each and every one of my posts to make sure the mods find it worthy. You really need to join a forum that needs moderation to see how civil this place is.

But thanks for the mature response. Stay classy my friend.

I agree with others about the need for some general topics. The Around the NHL thread is a good example; I would much rather read posts on other teams, league rules, comments on non-Sabres games, etc there than have new threads popping up everywhere for topics that are unlikely to generate lengthy discussion. If there are too many threads on the main page IMO it just increases the likelihood of a new (duplicate) thread being created because maybe the original one has slipped to page two and a newer member was unaware of it. But this time of year I think there is a good balance of new, topic-specific threads and general ones... During the regular season it's mostly game day threads.

Also agreed on the need for more mods... Chz is awesome, but she's only one person (presumably with a full-time gig and a social life) and there's a lot to keep up on here. I know there are other mods but I don't see them post much anymore, although could be they just prefer to work behind the scenes.

I agree with others about the need for some general topics. The Around the NHL thread is a good example; I would much rather read posts on other teams, league rules, comments on non-Sabres games, etc there than have new threads popping up everywhere for topics that are unlikely to generate lengthy discussion. If there are too many threads on the main page IMO it just increases the likelihood of a new (duplicate) thread being created because maybe the original one has slipped to page two and a newer member was unaware of it. But this time of year I think there is a good balance of new, topic-specific threads and general ones... During the regular season it's mostly game day threads.

Also agreed on the need for more mods... Chz is awesome, but she's only one person (presumably with a full-time gig and a social life) and there's a lot to keep up on here. I know there are other mods but I don't see them post much anymore, although could be they just prefer to work behind the scenes.

Hey thanks!

On the deletion stuff... I'll only delete a post that against forum etiquette. Such as, there is a filter and we all know ways around it. But if you're going to post a vid that has tons of swearing in it I'm deleting it. There are rules here. Scott is providing a service to us all and I'm not letting this great board go downhill.

And a side note: Quit the bashing or whatever you wanna call it of other posters. Or at least add an emoticon that shows you're kidding. I haven't banned anyone in a while and my finger is twitchy! :devil:

:wub: u all.

I don't see a big problem, but what's being discussed is important.

Let's just all commit ourselves to writing better subject lines, not getting our panties in a wad if a new thread emerges from an existing thread when appropriate — if someone creates a new thread today entitled, "Will Reinhart be in Buffalo next season," no one should say, "hey we're already discussing Reinhart in the draft thread — and being nicer to new posters. On the latter, I try to be, but the behavior of others has been pretty bad at times.

The one unsettling and surprising thing several posters have said is that they don't feel welcome here, or don't feel part of the "core" or feel left out. As one of the most prolific posters, it worries me that I've helped create that feeling. I have to admit, though, I don't have a good handle on what some of y'all are referring to. Can you put a little meat on the bone? What exactly makes you feel that way?

PA, thank you for the question, it is appreciated.

I don't think anyone does it intentionally, as seen by the thoughtful replays in this and the other thread. It is just more of a general sense that unless one has posted on the board for several years and knows how a kid that plays for the Barrie Colts will fit with the Sabres, your opinion will be dismissed. Again, I don't think it's intentional, but my gut would be very few new posters are here over a year...and of that I could be dead wrong.

I think this a great thread, and if know the folks on here want a great and welcoming board, so kudos for this dialogue taking place.

From the draft lottery format thread:

I feel the same way about TBD; dominated by a few.

I wish you didn't feel that way about SS and if there's something I can do to change it, please let me know.

For your part, I've usually found your contributions to be thoughtful.

Your prolly right eleven! I guess I am a regular there I don't notice it! Flows both ways as you say, but I only notice on the other end.

Like I said I learn a ton of hockey here, read every day, just don't post much in any hockey thread as think it will get either looked over or criticized.

Thank you for the kind words...

I've been mentioned in here, and I know some of this is directed straight at me (due to messages exchanged with SDS). My thoughts:

- I really like how "neat and tidy" everything is on here. I think TBD is terrible. Sifting through ten threads to find a good one just to realize that thread has been overrun anyways is annoying. I much prefer the fewer topics route. I don't think a new thread that starts with "I think..." is ever good. You can share what you think in the threads already there. I do think a few more threads would be good, though.

- There is a very clear culture here set in the minds of a few. When I first got here I tried to fight it, but now I try to avoid interaction with said few (which is hard since I often don't look at the name of the poster when I respond). This is kind of why I started trying to steer some new guys away from starting seemingly redundant threads. I got the tsunami when I stepped out of bounds, so I was offering a starter wave. This has been met with negative reaction, and I'm sorry for over policing threads. There's no need for it, but I do think a note that says "try to avoid redundant threads" is fine. There are a few posters, including myself, Liger and 26, who seem to be always connected to what's going on and pounce once we see news to share. I think this has its negatives but it's also a positive because on most forums you'll see four "RYAN MILLER TRADED" threads instead of one.

I like this place. I'm not a person to hold grudges, so I don't have any posters I have an outstanding issue with. I think any call for dramatic change in the way people here work is unwarranted. Slight changes that make it more welcoming to new ideas and people are better. The insulting of posters who don't take the time to use proper grammar is one thing I believe should end, as well as the strong pushback against those who don't share popular thoughts. More positive discussion is all that's needed. Good day.

I have always been a fan of letting the conversation go where it goes. Over the past couple days it feels like 30% of the posts I've read are about how other posts are out of place. I understand that there will be growing pains in any sort of change on the board, but it's really hard to read right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.