Specific topics vs. Generic topics Discussion

SDS

I've read a few complaints about the creation of threads, etc... So, I figured I would start a discussion here. Here are my thoughts:

You'll never please everyone, but we have too few threads IMO. There is a huge problem though:

Many posters here refuse to stay on topic.

That causes multiple discussions on the same topic in multiple threads and people get aggravated with that. Staying on topic requires discipline and restraint. If there are only 6 degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon then there are only 2 or 3 from any one topic in the NHL to another. If we could agree to stay on topic then this would be a much more user-friendly place to visit.

Subject lines should be descriptive and not generic."Tim Murray" is an awful subject. "I love Tim Murray's no non-sense style" is much better. We can have multiple Tim Murray threads as long as they talk about distinctly different aspects of the man.

The question is - can we stay on topic? Can we avoid the tangents? Can we start a new thread when a tangent should be discussed?

No one should ever look in a 2014 NHL Draft thread to find information on Tyler Myers development for instance. Everyone should have a reasonable expectation that of they scan the board they can see what is being discussed today given the subject lines. That's my two cents. We don't need duplicates threads, but distinct threads directed a specific topics that stay on topic should be the goal.

Agree? Disagree?

I honestly think we should have a few generic threads (draft, free agency, all around the nhl) like we do. And if anyone wants to talk about anything specific that's worth talking about, then they should start a new thread without fear of getting told it's being discussed in the general thread.

Edited by Numark

I honestly think we should have a few generic threads (draft, free agency, all around the nhl) like we do. And if anyone wants to talk about anything specific that's worth talking about, then they should start a new thread with fear of getting told it's being discussed in the general thread.

That's fine. I get that there are some esoteric posts that don't deserve an entire discussion, but many do and people should be free to break them out to call attention to them.

That's fine. I get that there are some esoteric posts that don't deserve an entire discussion, but many do and people should be free to break them out to call attention to them.

One issue I have is when there's already been quite a bit of discussion on a particular topic within a thread and a new thread is subsequently created. It then makes for similar discussion in two places. A little scattered and chaotic when it occurs IMO.

One issue I have is when there's already been quite a bit of discussion on a particular topic within a thread and a new thread is subsequently created. It then makes for similar discussion in two places. A little scattered and chaotic when it occurs IMO.

Is it because the first discussion took place in a thread that had a title that wasn't applicable to that discussion?

I like the consolidated threads...

But I don't care much either way.

What do you know? You are on of the dozen posters who dominate and ruin it for everyone else. My ###### hurts and I need to go home. Wah Wah Wah...

Sorry Scott...:unsure:

Edited by inkman

Is it because the first discussion took place in a thread that had a title that wasn't applicable to that discussion?

Not in the instances that I'm referring to. If it's a completely unrelated subject within a thread, I've seen instances of a new thread being created and I fully support that. Can be a fine line as you intimated in your OP.

What do you know? You are on of the dozen posters who dominate and ruin it for everyone else. My ###### hurts and I need to go home. Wah Wah Wah...

Sorry Scott... :unsure:

:huh:

Twas my shout out to Promo as he denigrates us regular posters on SS regularly because we don't "sack up" and post on the schmozzle that is TBD.

Take it over to the All About TBD thread.

and this is my point. There was no reason for any of this in here under this topic.

and this is my point. There was no reason for any of this in here under this topic.

Uh...ok. If that's how you want to run your site, just warn and ban us posters who violate these sacred rules. As far as Internet sites go, we keep it pretty tight on here.

Uh...ok. If that's how you want to run your site, just warn and ban us posters who violate these sacred rules. As far as Internet sites go, we keep it pretty tight on here.

If you have thoughts regarding the topic at hand, I would like to read them. Thanks.

If you have thoughts regarding the topic at hand, I would like to read them. Thanks.

How do his opinions on (1) the specific post that most likely launched this discussion in the first place and (2) your enforcement of these rules not qualify as "thoughts regarding the topic at hand"?

How do his opinions on (1) the specific post that most likely launched this discussion in the first place and (2) your enforcement of these rules not qualify as "thoughts regarding the topic at hand"?

I think your frankly rude and heavy handed responses to comments that were snarky but relevant will not further our attempts to improve the organization of the board. You should reconsider your strategy. As I stated above, I agree with your assessment. I believe that the over consolidated threads were a Mod-driven creation and will require some re-learning on the part of the posters who generate 80% of the content on this board, but will be well worth it. I'd like to see that re-thinking occur, and patronizing the very people whose mindset we need to change will likely fail to accomplish this goal.

So to paraphrase what GCoE posted. You failed us Scott not the other way around. We should have been reeled in long ago but since its been free range for as long as one can remember, it's goin to take culture change. We do this at work. It usually takes disciplining a few flagrant employees, perhaps a ban or two, and the rest will fall in line. The next step is yours Scott. ;)

So to paraphrase what GCoE posted. You failed us Scott not the other way around. We should have been reeled in long ago but since its been free range for as long as one can remember, it's goin to take culture change. We do this at work. It usually takes disciplining a few flagrant employees, perhaps a ban or two, and the rest will fall in line. The next step is yours Scott. ;)

That's actually helpful. Thanks man.

The consolidated threads were in response to too many threads created on the same topic, but it was also a funky time. You can't have the same coach, same GM, same core and not generate the same stuff over and over again. Plus, once the anger set in - every thread turned into a diatribe against someone in that group. Hopefully with slate mostly washed clean and a shiny new toy the diversity can flourish again.

I think your frankly rude and heavy handed responses to comments that were snarky but relevant will not further our attempts to improve the organization of the board. You should reconsider your strategy. As I stated above, I agree with your assessment. I believe that the over consolidated threads were a Mod-driven creation and will require some re-learning on the part of the posters who generate 80% of the content on this board, but will be well worth it. I'd like to see that re-thinking occur, and patronizing the very people whose mindset we need to change will likely fail to accomplish this goal.

I'm just looking for a focused discussion.

I'm totally on board, not questioning the mission, only the tactic.

Another element of this would be that the OT stuff makes sense to be massive consolidated threads, it's the hockey stuff that must be more broken out into specific topics. Your suggestion that the thread titles be more descriptive is right on target. Is there a way to add a reminder to this effect on the "create new thread page"? Something reminding a poster generating a new thread with some suggestions on how to make a strong thread title?

I know that you (SDS) are more concerned with traffic and more threads means a likelihood of more traffic but, from this users standpoint, one poster posting the same thing in 2, 3, or even 4 threads is a bigger pain in the ass to wade through than thread conversations that take mostly organic twists and turns.

I'll add that if you want threads to stay on track, or get filtered to be kept on subject, it seems to me that you'd need more moderator presence.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.