Specific topics vs. Generic topics Discussion

SDS

I feel like this is an important topic, so I'll chime in on various things brought up.

I'll often post things that get no response. I figure either the point wasn't very good or my logic was so unassailable that there was no point in discussing it further. Please let me think it's the former. I suppose if you're a new person that might seem cold.

Grammar police: if I see a poorly worded (or spelt) post, I know that I discount the opinion somewhat. I probably miss out on some good things, but really this is fun-time and I'm not going to force myself to do unpleasant reading. I do make an exception for our few international posters, of course. There/their/they're (and with the Buffalo accent, I'm surprised we don't get more "dare"), however, drives me up a wall. To be honest, I think that's the way of the world so being able to coherently express yourself in writing is more important than having your feelings hurt on the internet. I rarely correct anyone on here, but I hope anyone that sees issues in my posts speaks up and corrects me. I need to learn as much as anyone.

Threads: I like fewer threads because I'm going to read everything and it reduces the number of duplicates. The worst was when every. single. thread. inevitably ended up discussing how much Darcy/Lindy sucked and you had to read nearly the same post from probably the same poster in 4 different places, and then *HAD* to respond to clear up their misconceptions. ;) Fewer threads seem to reduce that tendency.

I like the culture of this place, it's intelligent and usually reasonable as long as you don't post something ridiculous.

I am more prone to respond to something I disagree with than something I agree with. Or, I just don't pay attention to a topic or poster. There are only a few posters I brush over...and I never put anyone on ignore.

If I agree...no need to support unless it's controversial and needs backing. Otherwise, the point is on record.

Same goes for jokes....I probably laugh a few dozen times a week, but figure if everyone responded to that, we'd clutter this even worse.

No one should ever look in a 2014 NHL Draft thread to find information on Tyler Myers development for instance. Everyone should have a reasonable expectation that of they scan the board they can see what is being discussed today given the subject lines. That's my two cents. We don't need duplicates threads, but distinct threads directed a specific topics that stay on topic should be the goal.

Agree? Disagree?

Sort of Disagree, only insofar as the writer refers back to the draft and why in their opinion the Sabres should consider drafting another D or trading Myers for pics in this draft. If the discussion is only about Myers development and not related back to the topic then I agree with you. Some statements are implicit in the discussion but should probably be clarified for reading purposes. Just my two cents.

Sort of Disagree, only insofar as the writer refers back to the draft and why in their opinion the Sabres should consider drafting another D or trading Myers for pics in this draft. If the discussion is only about Myers development and not related back to the topic then I agree with you. Some statements are implicit in the discussion but should probably be clarified for reading purposes. Just my two cents.

I was referring to the latter.

One other quick observation, which probably goes on a lot more over on TSW than it does here. When closing a thread due to it being a repeat, I think it would be helpful to include a link to the other thread. Usually it winds up being a so called automated post saying you should use the search feature. I realize it takes slightly more effort on the part of the moderator, but I think it could be very helpful, especially for the newer posters. The current method has always felt a bit snarky to me and I can see why it might chase people off.

One other quick observation, which probably goes on a lot more over on TSW than it does here. When closing a thread due to it being a repeat, I think it would be helpful to include a link to the other thread. Usually it winds up being a so called automated post saying you should use the search feature. I realize it takes slightly more effort on the part of the moderator, but I think it could be very helpful, especially for the newer posters. The current method has always felt a bit snarky to me and I can see why it might chase people off.

Lots of times the threads are merged here, which really takes some effort, and which is an even better solution. But I agree w/ you generally (and made the same point upthread somewhere).

I like the tweets. I like the information folks like 26cb and tank provide, even if it sometimes is redundant, and tank can be a big jerk. Frankly, I come here for my aggregate Sabres and important/interesting NHL news and believe that how ever that is occurring, is satisfying.

What's nice about this forum is the combined threads, where you get a whole bunch of discussion surrounding a topic, sometimes tangents, sometimes new topics emerge, but the conversational nature and semi-unpredictability is appealing.

I understand this makes it more difficult for a noob to "get into" the forum, but, IMHO, that is what helps keep the poster/post-quality very high. And, all of you, you're all high-quality internet posters fer shure. If the forum were forced to accommodate new people in a manner that breaks up the conversational threads, then I would wager we'd start getting a lot more nuisance people here.

During the season, especially an interesting season, you're going to have your first page full of relatively fresh topics. So I think discussing this now, when the season is over and the hockey scene is pretty one-dimensional, doesn't lend itself to fully appreciating what kind of community it is we have here. Let's re-visit this in November.

The only suggestion I would make, other than those implied above, are to encourage new threads when a topic starts to steer into one. That way, the original topic stays intact, and the tangent can take a life onto its own.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I'm going to stand by what I said and opine that there really isn't any pressing issues with this forum. Sure there are times when threads get off-topic, on the rare occasion a dispute might pop up. But overall it all adds to the entertainment factor yet doesn't overwhelm the place. I think if we all start commenting to those that don't follow these unwritten rules it will just become more of a distraction. I like the tweets because I don't follow everybody related to hockey. I like the occasional off-topic posts, it can lighten the mod a little. With the risk of sounding repetitive I say we just let it be. If it ain't broke.......

I'm going to stand by what I said and opine that there really isn't any pressing issues with this forum. Sure there are times when threads get off-topic, on the rare occasion a dispute might pop up. But overall it all adds to the entertainment factor yet doesn't overwhelm the place. I think if we all start commenting to those that don't follow these unwritten rules it will just become more of a distraction. I like the tweets because I don't follow everybody related to hockey. I like the occasional off-topic posts, it can lighten the mod a little. With the risk of sounding repetitive I say we just let it be. If it ain't broke.......

Nothing wrong with a collective examination toward making things better here.

So far after reading all this I'm getting, thread police are being shut down, spelling police are being propped up, internet explorer 11 is never going to function right on the site, someone will of course say why are you using that, oops already did and new threads are encouraged until the new heavy handed mod slaps it down :-)

So far after reading all this I'm getting, thread police are being shut down, spelling police are being propped up, internet explorer 11 is never going to function right on the site, someone will of course say why are you using that, oops already did and new threads are encouraged until the new heavy handed mod slaps it down :-)

and tank can be a big jerk, don't forget that one too

it was a joke tank, more a small jerk at times.

also a joke tank, mostly you can be abrasive in conversation

wait i think that was a compliment

Edited by drnkirishone

One thread I would really like would be a news thread - where just headlines (or confirmed tweets) are posted and no discussion. That way if you miss something it is easy to get back on track with what has happened. But this mainly comes from the fact I am a few hours out of sync with you guys so generally miss large chunks of news/updates etc. But I can see why this might be less of an issue (and in fairness 99% of the time i do just wade through every post in the threads)

I would even welcome a rumours thread, where again, just rumours from credible tweets are posted so it is easy to keep track of what is happening - but i can understand why this might be even more unwelcome

But perhaps these 'improvements' would not even be suggested if the threads were not as cluttered?

One thread I would really like would be a news thread - where just headlines (or confirmed tweets) are posted and no discussion. That way if you miss something it is easy to get back on track with what has happened. But this mainly comes from the fact I am a few hours out of sync with you guys so generally miss large chunks of news/updates etc. But I can see why this might be less of an issue (and in fairness 99% of the time i do just wade through every post in the threads)

I like it. I feel like we've tried it in the past several times though. People inevitably try to comment on something and it falls apart. This idea is probably 100% dependent on the moderators time. They would either have to keep a locked thread where they copied over information or if they went with an open thread instead, they'd have to delete all of the comments that would wind up being made. I can't blame them if they don't have the time for that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.