Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

If it's fixed anyway, then why did the league just change the lottery procedures?

I'm not convinced it's fixed but not getting to see the sausage being made (so to speak) makes me suspicious. A lot of it may be my own personal bias because I think Bettman is a weasel but as the creator of the MFT status moniker (I believe) you have to admit that things in this league don't seem to be handled fairly across the board. So, if they are willing to show favoritism at certain times, why wouldn't they do it at others?

I'm not convinced it's fixed but not getting to see the sausage being made (so to speak) makes me suspicious. A lot of it may be my own personal bias because I think Bettman is a weasel but as the creator of the MFT status moniker (I believe) you have to admit that things in this league don't seem to be handled fairly across the board. So, if they are willing to show favoritism at certain times, why wouldn't they do it at others?

There is a certain suspicion that goes along with the concealment of the draw, I'll give you that.

I think there are biases displayed in the disciplinary process, but it's a subjective process.

I don't think it's rigged, but I'd love to know why they don't just draw live. As with most things, even if there's nothing nefarious going on, keeping it out of sight is just asking for skepticism.

That said, I'm going to absolutely vomit all over myself if Boston misses the playoffs and wins.

I don't think it's rigged, but I'd love to know why they don't just draw live. As with most things, even if there's nothing nefarious going on, keeping it out of sight is just asking for skepticism.

That said, I'm going to absolutely vomit all over myself if Boston misses the playoffs and wins.

Because then their opening the envelopes with the other 13 team logos in it becomes rather anticlimatic. ;)

1 thing they could do, to allieviate a lot of the 'fixed' suspicions is have a camera on the selection process itself and then show the popcorn machine spitting out balls after the winner was announced. And make sure a KPMG rep (or equivalent) is right there when it goes down.

And if they wanted to show it live and keep the supspense one thing they could do is increase the total number of numbers each team has in the lottery with those particular numbers assigned randomly and show how the odds progress as each ball pops out. E.g, the 1st ball is a '7,' so all #'s starting with anything other than 7 can't win and the new odds become Buffalo 21.2, Arizona 13.45, TO 11.0 ... Dallas 0.0 (with the appropriate 'Price Is Right' wah wah wah waaaaaah playing when somebody's odds go to 0.0). Then pull the next ball, etc.

my grandma used to swear that church bingo games were fixed, so you never know, as for me I have always said that I could have all the numbers in a hat, and they would draw 6-7/8, not complaining mine you, still got my health

Edited by rumblefish

I would likely burn something.

Maybe a Bruins fan.

I've said ot

Not in '99 he wasn't. ;)

He owes us a solid.  Well, I guess he did keep the team here.  He still owes us a solid...for something.

As far as the lottery goes, there's as good a chance it's rigged as there is it ain't.  You're kidding yourself if you think that the league brass hasn't considered influencing the outcome if they thought they could get away with it.

Edited by SiZzlEmIsTEr

Its only a 20% chance you get #1.  I've arleady come to terms that we might not get it.

Might not is an understatement.  As I've said before, the tank race is actually for Eichel with a bonus shot at McDavid.  30th gets the 2nd pick (Eichel) almost surely (not the precise mathematical a.s., but 80%), 29th gets the 3rd pick most likely (66.5%) and 28th gets the fourth pick more likely than not (55%).  Each has a shot at McDavid (20%, 13.5% and 11.5%, respectively), but there's a 55% chance that someone outside of that group gets him.

Kovalchuk, who retired to the KHL to be closer to his family and ended up receiving the K's richest contract, is considering a return to the NHL, as the value of the ruble slips due to economic sanctions against Russia.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-kovalchuk-eyeing-nhl-return-1.238308

Side effect: I wonder that will encourage more players to play/stay in NHL.

Kovalchuk, who retired to the KHL to be closer to his family and ended up receiving the K's richest contract, is considering a return to the NHL, as the value of the ruble slips due to economic sanctions against Russia.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-kovalchuk-eyeing-nhl-return-1.238308

Side effect: I wonder that will encourage more players to play/stay in NHL.

Paging DeLuca to the dirty red courtesy phone. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.