Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

Vrbata, Legwand, Ribeiro, Jokinen, Roy, Brodeur, Penner, Grabovski, Stempniak, Heatley, Setoguchi, Morrow, Ott, Kulemin, Booth, Salo, Handzus, Del Zotto, Volchenkov and (haha) Bissonnette still out there.

quite the list of 'still available's'. Interesting to see where these guys end up!

Not sense IMO. Hodgson is a smart player. Recovery speed is his liability.

I would add his lack of situational awareness in the defensive zone is also a liability. In fact, I think that's the reason he's usually late getting to the right spot, be it to play the puck or get in a passing or shooting lane.

I've been a CoHo supporter/defender/advocate, but he needs that component of his game to improve IMO. Whether it does - or whether it can - I don't know. But more of the same and I don't see him being here too much longer.

Just my 2¢...

Interestingly, he plays way better defense on the weekends.

Mon-Thurs: 43 games, 26 points, -22

Fri-Sun: 29 games, 18 points, -2

He doesn't drink alcohol, while 98% of the NHL does...43% of them probably classified as functioning alcoholics.

#Analytics

He has chronic back issues. It's a lot easier to not feel the pain when you can score a goal than it is when it's time to prevent one.....

Seriously though....I don't think he's a lazy kid. Do you notice how stiff and upright he skates during neutral zone play? I can't really compare him to anyone....maybe Rick Vaive at the end of his career. I just don't see those mechanics very often.

I agree - he's ugly through the neutral zone. I haven't connected it to pain though.

Remember, that was the big beef with Vancouver. He had constant back issues, and his dad held him out of camp so he could get treatment from private doctors. That sent Vancouver over the edge with him/them.

That I recall. And Gary Roberts coming to his defense. (Gary responsible for the training regime, I wondered).

Vrbata, Legwand, Ribeiro, Jokinen, Roy, Brodeur, Penner, Grabovski, Stempniak, Heatley, Setoguchi, Morrow, Ott, Kulemin, Booth, Salo, Handzus, Del Zotto, Volchenkov and (haha) Bissonnette still out there.

As long as they all choose teams other than the Islanders, I wish them all the best. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying he isn't smart; it's more of an anticipation thing. He reacts to what has happened instead of reading what's going to happen. I think his vision offensively is fine, and maybe he presses a bit longer than he should, thus he's always scrambling back.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

Ott wasn't signed on day 1.

I'm not sure whether that's surprising, or as it was expected to be.

Question is: not signed because he's weighing multiple offers, or not signed because he has yet to receive one? I kind of doubt the latter, but I can see how he wouldn't be first priority for a lot of teams.

Edited by biodork

I have this weird feeling he's waiting for the Sabres offer, which is contingent on a trade Murray is trying to make.

The aggressive approach of Murray is just so NOT like Darcy. With Darcy we'd all know we were done and the team was set. With Murray we're all waiting for the next move to be made!

I have this weird feeling he's waiting for the Sabres offer, which is contingent on a trade Murray is trying to make.

Why would it be? It's not like we have to free up cap space. If they were worried about having too many bodies, that shouldn't be an issue that would stop you from signing someone today.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.