Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

If a teams GM is talking about needing another center, are they going to unload the best one they have?

Oh... that Murray said it... My bad.

But I'd still love to see Turris in blue and gold one day!

To me, this is where having TP as the owner comes into play.

This is (darn near literally) the 1st GOOD day in 20 years for the Sabres that we don't have to say 'savor it while it lasts because it'll be gone quickly.'

When they had Dom, they didn't spend money on skaters w/out contract holdouts. Even in 2000 when they were bringing in Gilmour, 57, Audette, & Andreychuk; there was the Peca holdout to take some of the savoring away. The Briere/Drury years had the Sabres very own cap and a knowledge some guys inevitably would go. There was always a cloud on the horizon.

This is a darn fine day in Sabres land. For the 1st time in a long time, it feels good; even though this year will not put a strong product out there, you just KNOW a good team is on the way - much like the early 70's teams. Maybe, like those 70's teams, this one won't get over the top. It's ok, cause the journey is a big part of it. (Darn, I'm rambling again.)

Moulson mentioned one of his deciding factors was the way he and his family were treated by the Pegulas during their short time here. As stated in another thread Hockey Heaven needed Tim Murray!

I'd like to see Hodgson moved, don't like the contract and he's a weak back checker. I'll be disappointed if they don't sign Ott, he was their most entertaining player last season, and if they're not going to win, I want to be entertained. We're going to have to be patient with the goalies. I think it will be a couple more years before one of the young ones shows they can step up. Otherwise it will require acquiring one.

I'd like to see Hodgson moved, don't like the contract and he's a weak back checker. I'll be disappointed if they don't sign Ott, he was their most entertaining player last season, and if they're not going to win, I want to be entertained. We're going to have to be patient with the goalies. I think it will be a couple more years before one of the young ones shows they can step up. Otherwise it will require acquiring one.

I think we'll be using Hodgson at left wing in the future, in part because he is suspect defensively. With Moulson, CoHo, Ennis (was at left wing before moving to center), Foligno, Deslauriers, Larsson all primarily suited to the left side, we are pretty full there. I think this is one reason why we haven't brought back Ott (also best suited to play the left side). Moving CoHo might open up a spot for Ott, although we'd lose some scoring in the short term.

I think we'll be using Hodgson at left wing in the future, in part because he is suspect defensively. With Moulson, CoHo, Ennis (was at left wing before moving to center), Foligno, Deslauriers, Larsson all primarily suited to the left side, we are pretty full there. I think this is one reason why we haven't brought back Ott (also best suited to play the left side). Moving CoHo might open up a spot for Ott, although we'd lose some scoring in the short term.

I think Hodgson would thrive playing a Left-Wing Lock. That would limit his coverage area in the defensive zone.

He's not bad defensively when he's in position, he's just slow to the spot.

I think Hodgson would thrive playing a Left-Wing Lock. That would limit his coverage area in the defensive zone.

He's not bad defensively when he's in position, he's just slow to the spot.

Good point. Maybe I'm wrong, but putting Zemgus at Center and CoHo at wing toward the end of last year must have been done for defensive reasons. CoHo may be a better fit at center elsewhere in a different system (?).

Paul Hamilton made the same point yesterday that a lot of posters are making now: GMTM just doesn't talk about Hodgson. He and Nolan do say good things about Ennis though and he'd probably be the one they keep.

Love the idea of Lazar but I wonder if that could ever happen.

Or is it they want to keep Hodgson and talk up Ennis hoping to deal him?

Ennis needs a contract. Are they trying to move Hodgson to save money on signing Ennis (no, they don't NEED to do it, but are they trying to keep a low payroll this year)

Would they move Hodgson because he's on a contract that they don't like and wasn't signed by Murray.

All real possibilities.

Moulson mentioned one of his deciding factors was the way he and his family were treated by the Pegulas during their short time here. As stated in another thread Hockey Heaven needed Tim Murray!

So what you're saying is Pegula meddled, right? ;)

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Good point. Maybe I'm wrong, but putting Zemgus at Center and CoHo at wing toward the end of last year must have been done for defensive reasons. CoHo may be a better fit at center elsewhere in a different system (?).

Interestingly, he plays way better defense on the weekends.

Mon-Thurs: 43 games, 26 points, -22

Fri-Sun: 29 games, 18 points, -2

Maybe. But I'm not ready to say that yet. I think when Cody looks really foolish is when he's trying to recover after a team turnover.

I'm not worried about his defensive zone starts - (he has about 5% more than Ennis - which pretty much tells you something about how Nolan uses the two).

He just looks plain old bad when the the opponent creates a turnover and rushes back through center ice. Hodgson is often half a second behind the play.

When Hodgson is in position, heck, use him on the PK. Not the best option, but Nolan uses him on the second unit when a normal killer is in the box.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.