Compliance Buyouts

Eleven

I wonder if any trade up in the draft for a salary dump options are being examined first.

Why would that get in the way? We still have two buyouts.

I think he means that (unlikely as it may be), someone might actually trade something for Leino. I can't really imagine it, but maybe a low pick or a different albatross contract for Leino. But, it's due diligence to make a few calls and find out.

Edited by MattPie

Why would that get in the way? We still have two buyouts.

No I don't think Leino will (can) be traded.

I just think it might be prudent to wait to see the big picture before exercising the buyouts.

There's nothing to lose by waiting, is there?

No I don't think Leino will (can) be traded.

I just think it might be prudent to wait to see the big picture before exercising the buyouts.

There's nothing to lose by waiting, is there?

Well, there are the brain cells and time that are lost by reading and responding to various hysterical accusations of meddling/earth rape/child molesting by ownership. That has to count for something.

Well, there are the brain cells and time that are lost by reading and responding to various hysterical accusations of meddling/earth rape/child molesting by ownership. That has to count for something.

Don't forget the "We went from a cap team to bottom in payroll, maybe Terry is done spending money" accusation.

Can't see an issue w/ the timing of this. Probably just means nobody bit on TM's offer of 'so & so and your 1st for bupkis' and there weren't any waived guys in the 1st 24 hours that made sense to pick up to mess w/ somebody else's future cap recapture and then complance buyout on their own. Sabres still have 1 more available if the tight deal comes along closer to the deadline.

Bye-bye Ville. Wish we hardly knew thee.

Sabres waive Ville Leino in first step toward buyout

As expected, the Sabres have placed Ville Leino on unconditional waivers and will be using a compliance buyout on the final three seasons of the Finn’s six-year, $27 million deal, ridding themselves of perhaps the worst contract in NHL history.

The breakdown of the $7,333,333 payout, according to capgeek.com:

– 2014-15: $1,722,222

– 2015-16: $2,222,222

– 2016-17: $2,222,222

– 2017-18: $1,222,222

– 2018-19: $1,222,222

– 2019-20: $1,222,222

NHL.com official compliance buyout tracker

Under the provisions of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement, each team is allowed two compliance buyouts before the start of the 2014-15 season. The buyouts must occur during windows of time specified by the CBA.

The first opportunity for compliance buyouts was from June 26 to July 4, 2013. The second compliance buyout window opened Monday, June 16, 2014 and ends on Monday, June 30 at 5 p.m. ET. Any player receiving a compliance buyout receives two-thirds of the remaining contract across twice the remaining term of the deal, but his salary-cap charge to the team is wiped clean. The bought-out players are granted unrestricted free agency and are eligible to sign with any team, other than the one which bought out the player.

Clubs have bought out or announced their intention to buy out the following players:

Wow, it's like Lameo won the MegaMillions Lottery. A guaranteed average income of ~$1.4 million a year for the next 6 years, and during that entire time he could sit home watching TV and drinking coffee. All that for scoring as many goals for the Sabres this season as any single member of this forum did. Unbelievable.

He's been a damn good D-man. I can't hold the last quarter of this past season against him. I'm for keeping him if he wants to stay. No matter how much people want to tear a team apart and start from scratch, you need some veterans no matter how you look at it.

This.

Nobody should be judged on the past season alone.

Except Leino, but only cause the past season was exactly what we expected from him.

Edited by Kristian

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.