Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Just had a waking nightmare: There could be a 12-month window in which the Bills are sold to an out of town interest and the Sabres finish DFL and pick 4th.

In the once immortal words of Bill Simmons: I will now light myself on fire.

@tsnjamesduthie

On the Draft Countdown show you'll also meet the guy who'll battle Connor McDavid for #1 next year @Jack_Eichel11

BrF3yrACAAAmthb.jpg

Breathe deeply. smiles.gif

Maybe. Depends how flat they are and where the Isles end up finishing.

I think right away they'd have ~ equal or greater odds, no?

Nevermind...I forgot the third pick was St. Louis.

Edited by sizzlemeister

It's tough to flatten them out anymore than they already are.

4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5

I know that's 101.5 odds, but if they really want to flatten it then it'll look something like that.

Good. Purposely icing the worst team you can is a bull ###### strategy and ultimately is bad for the league and the fans as a whole.

Lets play some ###### hockey now.

Still not going to change the offseason strategy. What Buffalo is doing is no different from the strategy multiple recent NHL champions stuck to years ago...

Still not going to change the offseason strategy. What Buffalo is doing is no different from the strategy multiple recent NHL champions stuck to years ago...

I dont care who else did it. Purposely setting your team up to lose should be an embarassment.

I still don't think the Sabres are going to be bad on purpose in the sense that the goal is to be bad. They're going to be bad on purpose because being bad is the result of tearing down years of another GM's work. This is more about gutting the Regier Era than just sucking for a number 1 pick. It just so happens that when you do this the only realistic result is a pretty unfortunate squad.

I don't see how there is really any other option. You can't penalize a team because a GM wants to rebuild. It's a natural part of hockey. Organic if you will.

Purposely setting yourself for future cup runs is never embarrassing.

Bingo.

I still don't think the Sabres are going to be bad on purpose in the sense that the goal is to be bad. They're going to be bad on purpose because being bad is the result of tearing down years of another GM's work. This is more about gutting the Regier Era than just sucking for a number 1 pick. It just so happens that when you do this the only realistic result is a pretty unfortunate squad.

I don't see how there is really any other option. You can't penalize a team because a GM wants to rebuild. It's a natural part of hockey. Organic if you will.

Bingo.

This started before TM came along. Its his rebuild but the tank isnt his. This is about as organic as Monsanto.

This started before TM came along. Its his rebuild but the tank isnt his. This is about as organic as Monsanto.

There's still nothing wrong with tearing a team down. The only thing wrong is that Darcy had no idea what he was doing.

There's still nothing wrong with tearing a team down. The only thing wrong is that Darcy had no idea what he was doing.

In and of itself you are correct, there is nothing wrong with a teardown. But there is a way that doesnt disrespect the game, the league, and the fans (league wide), and there is the tank. Montreal did it the right way. So did Boston. Chicago's was the product of cheapskate ownership. Those are organic. Had Buffalo made hockey trades instead of selling off assets for the NHL equivalent of bearer bonds I could support it. Now I'm stuck rooting for something that flies straight in the face of the spirit of competition.

Its bull ######.

###### ###### ###### ###### ######

Ffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

And, yes, I've had some drinks.

I can clearly see what you posted.

Bingo.

It was okay when Pittsburgh tanked. It was okay when EDM sucked for years in a row. It was okay when Chicago tanked. Its just ridiculous. Whatever, I can't think about this right now. Only the NHL would change a system that works. The Sabres had to rebuild, I hope that we destroy teams when all is said and done and the league can send McDavid to wherever they want.

In and of itself you are correct, there is nothing wrong with a teardown. But there is a way that doesnt disrespect the game, the league, and the fans (league wide), and there is the tank. Montreal did it the right way. So did Boston. Chicago's was the product of cheapskate ownership. Those are organic. Had Buffalo made hockey trades instead of selling off assets for the NHL equivalent of bearer bonds I could support it. Now I'm stuck rooting for something that flies straight in the face of the spirit of competition.

Its bull ######.

Sometimes one has to retreat when a position is untenable. Buffalo was stuck inside a ditch always being good enough to squeak in or just bad enough not too. We had a GM unwilling to see this problem thus a natural rebuild was impossible. We had to gut the team, and finding that many hockey trades would be ridiculous. Elite players never grace the trading market nowadays thus drafting them is the sole way to acquire them aside from Free Agency where Buffalo can't draw them for the life of them. What Murray did was a mercy kill to someone being eaten alive by zombies.

The players aren't tanking, and the team is trying to become competitive through radical restructuring. I highly doubt TM goes in everyday telling the team to lose, he's going to help Buffalo hold the Cup rather than merely playing for it again

im sure you will be real pi$$ed in 5 years and the Sabres dominate the league.

That'll be right around the time when our new core matures, right?

Where have we heard that before?

I just want to add that just the fact that we even have a 2015 draft thread makes we want to drink bleach.

Sometimes one has to retreat when a position is untenable. Buffalo was stuck inside a ditch always being good enough to squeak in or just bad enough not too. We had a GM unwilling to see this problem thus a natural rebuild was impossible. We had to gut the team, and finding that many hockey trades would be ridiculous. Elite players never grace the trading market nowadays thus drafting them is the sole way to acquire them aside from Free Agency where Buffalo can't draw them for the life of them. What Murray did was a mercy kill to someone being eaten alive by zombies.

The players aren't tanking, and the team is trying to become competitive through radical restructuring. I highly doubt TM goes in everyday telling the team to lose, he's going to help Buffalo hold the Cup rather than merely playing for it again

:worthy:

Maybe. Depends how flat they are and where the Isles end up finishing.

Good call. Another reason to hope for the bottom to fall out for the Isles.

Its bull ######.

A-freakin'-men, and very well stated.

The hockey gods do not approve of this BS, especially so soon after this franchise gave us Black Sunday.

It's part of the reason I do not expect the Sabres to end up with McDavid.

(But it would be brutal if they changed the rules and the Sabres miss out on Eichel as well.)

That'll be right around the time when our new core matures, right?

Where have we heard that before?

I just want to add that just the fact that we even have a 2015 draft thread makes we want to drink bleach.

It's for the tankers.

Good. Purposely icing the worst team you can is a bull ###### strategy and ultimately is bad for the league and the fans as a whole.

Lets play some ###### hockey now.

Personally I think designing a system that can damage league parity is worse than a handful of teams occasionally intentionally tanking. Teams don't often deliberately tank in the manner the Sabres have, so I think it's bad league policy to design a system around such outliers.