Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

You'd take both. You'd never have an opportunity like this again.

That's my gut reaction. You do have take the cap into consideration (Oh, to have the problems the Hawks have) but you can sort that out later.

My guess is that Arizona Coyotes might be in the running for the top pick now. They lost Vrbata and Riberio. They were already hurting on offense and then they let 2 of their better offensive players go. Plus a player like McDavid would probably ignite that fan base where they would be sold out more often. And who says the NHL can't fix the lottery system. Just something to think about. Hope it doesn't happen but I'm just wondering with all the players we picked up if we just took ourselves out of the race for 1. I know we will have lottery balls but I'm saying the best chance with the most balls like last year.

My guess is that Arizona Coyotes might be in the running for the top pick now. They lost Vrbata and Riberio. They were already hurting on offense and then they let 2 of their better offensive players go. Plus a player like McDavid would probably ignite that fan base where they would be sold out more often. And who says the NHL can't fix the lottery system. Just something to think about. Hope it doesn't happen but I'm just wondering with all the players we picked up if we just took ourselves out of the race for 1. I know we will have lottery balls but I'm saying the best chance with the most balls like last year.

If we can't get him, McDavid to Arizona is fine by me. He'd be all the way over in the Western Conference and he'd probably do a ton to help grow the game.

Plus having to play in the Western Conference should help there race to the bottom.

I think Buffalo, Arizona, Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, Carolina, Florida, Nashville, New Jersey, NYI, Ottawa, Vancouver and Winnipeg all have some level of potential to be in the McDavid race.

Of those, I doubt that Florida, New Jersey, NYI and Vancouver are bad enough to be in the conversation. But they do have a shot with an injury or two.

It's safe to say that Anaheim, Boston, Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, LA, Minnesota, Montreal, NYR, Philly, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Washington and San Jose will all be too good.

Edited by Tankalicious

It's not unrealistic, but the Canes would be such a waste.

Also, Ottawa is putting out a lot of bad vibes. They should be OK, but ownership just gives them such a shaky feel.

Does anybody think Edmonton will ever get better?

We are all in agreement that there is no way the first overall pick gets traded.

But what about the second overall pick?

If the Sabres are picking fourth with their own, the Isles Pick is 11-15 and Blues 22-26, would that be enough?

We are all in agreement that there is no way the first overall pick gets traded.

If the Sabres are picking fourth with their own, the Isles Pick is 11-15 and Blues 22-26, would that be enough?

I doubt the second pick gets traded either but if anybody has the ammo to get it done it's us.

If we get a top two pick and then another pick at 5-10 I kind of hope we trade the later pick for a veteran forward that comes available. It'd help us compete immediately.

I doubt the second pick gets traded either but if anybody has the ammo to get it done it's us.

If we get a top two pick and then another pick at 5-10 I kind of hope we trade the later pick for a veteran forward that comes available. It'd help us compete immediately.

Or we can try to sign Bobby Ryan, who is likely to be a UFA next year.

Or we can try to sign Bobby Ryan, who is likely to be a UFA next year.

Well, sure, but it wasn't talking about free agents haha. We coulf sign Ryan and trade the pick. That would give us two vets on the frontline to go with a great group of young guys.

The damage that the league would incur, including some legal issues i imagine, if it was found to be tampering with the draft means it is just never going to be worth them doing so. It would be impossible to grow the game. All anyone would know about hockey was the league decides where the players play - thus making it a joke.

On your point more directly, I agree and it was started by the fact the Pens were going under and going to move when suddenly they land Crosby and the franchise is turned around

Yeah exactly, I was even going to say that but wasn't 100% sure it was factual!

By no means do I think there is a conspiracy going on, I was just pointing out that I didn't understand the Toronto conspiracy.

Well, sure, but it wasn't talking about free agents haha. We coulf sign Ryan and trade the pick. That would give us two vets on the frontline to go with a great group of young guys.

Hey Tank,

Where do you think the sabres will finish in the standings this year?

Agreed the West looks strong, but I still think Edmonton takes a step up. I think Vancouver Calgary goes nowhere and slowly the Sharks and Ducks start falling while Calgary makes progress but remains in the cellar. I think the west go tougher. No sure what to think about Phoenix, but treading water doesn't seem to do well out west so, I agreed Arizona will fall too. It depends how well the West beats up on the East, especially with the lower ranked teams as to how definite the Sabres compete for the top bottom spot in the draft with their pick and the Isles number 1.

Find the last time the #2 pick was traded. Now add to that the idea that Eichel is an elite franchise guy. That pick will not be moved either. The only thing that would make any deal a possibility would be if any team (ie. us) winds up with #1 and #2. Even then is still call it a long shot.

Well, a little different situation, but Lindros was considered a generational talent that was traded away, even considering Quebec's hands were tied. And we all know who got the better end of that deal. So, if we landed #1 or #2, I would expect TM would listen to offers. Like he said, the other GM might do something "crazy".

Find the last time the #2 pick was traded. Now add to that the idea that Eichel is an elite franchise guy. That pick will not be moved either. The only thing that would make any deal a possibility would be if any team (ie. us) winds up with #1 and #2. Even then is still call it a long shot.

It's settled. Finish 30th again

I am saying it here too so it can sink in, The Arizona Coyotes are not in the midst of a tank. Their fan base (no jokes) wouldn't survive that process and we all know it. They have to make the playoffs every year.

The #1 and #2 overall picks in the 2015 NHL entry draft will not be traded for anything short of a kings ransom. Say we ended up with #4, to get to one you are talking #4, Girgensons, Myers, #10-15 (NYI), and one of Risto/Compher/Baptiste/Zadorov and that is just the opening of talks. You might have to toss Reinhart in there too. To go from 4 to 1 this season would cost us #4, #10-15(NYI), Myers, Girgensons, Reinhart and 1 other prospect at least... think about that for a bit.

Edited by LGR4GM

I am saying it here too so it can sink in, The Arizona Coyotes are not in the midst of a tank. Their fan base (no jokes) wouldn't survive that process and we all know it. They have to make the playoffs every year.

I also trust in Maloney. He has regularly made the most out of a very tough situation. They might not be a Cup contender, but I have every reason to expect to see them in the playoff mix once again. He's pretty much the anti-Garth Snow.

The #1 and #2 overall picks in the 2015 NHL entry draft will not be traded

I cut your post off at the important part.

The #1 and #2 overall picks in the 2015 NHL entry draft will not be traded for anything short of a kings ransom. Say we ended up with #4, to get to one you are talking #4, Girgensons, Myers, #10-15 (NYI), and one of Risto/Compher/Baptiste/Zadorov and that is just the opening of talks. You might have to toss Reinhart in there too. To go from 4 to 1 this season would cost us #4, #10-15(NYI), Myers, Girgensons, Reinhart and 1 other prospect at least... think about that for a bit.

If that's the type of collection of players that would need to be traded to get 1 or 2, if we had one of those picks I definitely would be open to trading it. If we have learned anything, a generational talent in itself doesn't guarantee a Cup. Sure, I would love to have an Ovechkin or Crosby on the Sabres, but they were sitting watching the Stanley Cup Finals on TV just like you and I. If we look at the Cup winners of the last 5 years, we see complete teams. It's the complete teams that are the recurrent winners.