Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

It's a mock draft. Some, including myself, would like to see some more analysis around here and will appreciate the analysis you provide, but we all recognize its a mock draft. There plenty of those and they're all educated guesses.

What!?!?!?!? A mock draft is an educated guess!  Everyone recognizes that?  This is crazy talk.  Seriously though I am well aware of what a mock draft is.  I am doing this as much for myself as for the board. Considering most of the stuff posted is speculation and educated guesses around here idk why you felt the need to post it.  

That said, Hoss will be the fastest poster 15,000, no doubt in my mind. 

So, the consensus is there is no f'n way that Edm doesn't take McDavid. The consensus is also that Eichel will be better than McDavid at first, then Mcdavid will surpass him (probably right around the time his ELC is running out). I'm pretty sure that the consensus is also that McDavid isn't that thrilled about going to Edm.

With all the other high picks that they already have and will have to pay, might they have a timetable where they feel like they have to win sooner and think Eichel is a better option for them? I know everyone has said that is a ridiculous idea, but I kinda think it's a possibility.

Why am I wrong?

For a multitude of reasons.

1) Connor McDavid is a Canadian phenom. Every single person in Canada knows exactly who he is.  If a Canadian team passed on him to draft an American, let alone a less talented player, they would lose not only because fans would be upset but also because all those Connor McDavid jerseys not being sold means less money for them.  Business wise they have to draft Connor.

2) Connor is better than Jack. Who the hell knows what either of these kids will look like in 3 years.  You can't possibly predict one falling off or surpassing or anything.  They will be good but who knows how good.  

3) There is no timetable on paying McDavid. He is going to be a star and they will ship off other players to make room for him, not the other way around.  Edm is probably 3 years away from anything so if they are thinking about ELC running out and missing their window they are short sighted and stupid.

4) I love Jack, but Edmonton doesn't.  They love Connor as they should.  I don't think EDM wants to see their fans riot if they take Jack Eichel.

Edited by LGR4GM

So, the consensus is there is no f'n way that Edm doesn't take McDavid. The consensus is also that Eichel will be better than McDavid at first, then Mcdavid will surpass him (probably right around the time his ELC is running out). I'm pretty sure that the consensus is also that McDavid isn't that thrilled about going to Edm.

With all the other high picks that they already have and will have to pay, might they have a timetable where they feel like they have to win sooner and think Eichel is a better option for them? I know everyone has said that is a ridiculous idea, but I kinda think it's a possibility.

Why am I wrong?

In a word: ownership. I don't think Daryl Katz is going to want to be the most hated man in Canada for even a day.

What!?!?!?!? A mock draft is an educated guess!  Everyone recognizes that?  This is crazy talk.  Seriously though I am well aware of what a mock draft is.  I am doing this as much for myself as for the board. Considering most of the stuff posted is speculation and educated guesses around here idk why you felt the need to post it.  

That said, Hoss will be the fastest poster 15,000, no doubt in my mind. 

For a multitude of reasons.

1) Connor McDavid is a Canadian phenom. Every single person in Canada knows exactly who he is.  If a Canadian team passed on him to draft an American, let alone a less talented player, they would lose not only because fans would be upset but also because all those Connor McDavid jerseys not being sold means less money for them.  Business wise they have to draft Connor.

2) Connor is better than Jack. Who the hell knows what either of these kids will look like in 3 years.  You can't possibly predict one falling off or surpassing or anything.  They will be good but who knows how good.  

3) There is no timetable on paying McDavid. He is going to be a star and they will ship off other players to make room for him, not the other way around.  Edm is probably 3 years away from anything so if they are thinking about ELC running out and missing their window they are short sighted and stupid.

4) I love Jack, but Edmonton doesn't.  They love Connor as they should.  I don't think EDM wants to see their fans riot if they take Jack Eichel.

In a word: ownership. I don't think Daryl Katz is going to want to be the most hated man in Canada for even a day.

What if he doesn't want to re-sign there and they know that? The way he looked like someone just killed his dog when they said Edmonton at the lottery,... just got me thinking.

What if he doesn't want to re-sign there and they know that? The way he looked like someone just killed his dog when they said Edmonton at the lottery,... just got me thinking.

It's always possible, and I've thought this more than once, but I think Connor and Jack going 1 then 2 is looking like a pretty sure bet.

I really don't see McDavid making a big stink about Edmonton either way but even if he did, the Oilers own him. Yeah, he can wait 3 years and sign an offer sheet, but the Oilers will match it and still end up having him for the majority of his career that way. I guess multiple teams could offer sheet him and he could choose the one for the shortest term that would possibly allow him to become a UFA in his mid to late 20's but then that team risks giving up 4 first round picks to for 4 or 5 years of his services. Maybe he re-signs with them as a thank you for getting me out of Edmonton type deal but I doubt any of that happens.  

He's restricted. They'll hedge their bets. I'll tattoo a on my forehead if McDavid isn't an Oiler.

That'd be d0ng.

Edited by Hoss

The consensus is also that Eichel will be better than McDavid at first, then Mcdavid will surpass him (probably right around the time his ELC is running out). 

Actually these were the thoughts of a neanderthal named Lucic shared while in a beer store in Western Canada. :)

It's a mock draft. Some, including myself, would like to see some more analysis around here and will appreciate the analysis you provide, but we all recognize its a mock draft. There plenty of those and they're all educated guesses.

I know what you are doing Hoss...trying to egg on Liger so that he forgets about his post count, and his mock draft is not released for his grand moment of 15,000 posts. :lol:

I'm trying to come up with my own grand plan for my 10,000 post.  An exposé on Battista and his meddling within the organization, or maybe just another post with inane ramblings while I continue to wait for a Buffalo hockey or football championship? 

I don't understand why you guys feel the need to make your "milestone" posts particularly special. When you look under someone's user name it always shows what their current number of total posts are not what # each individual post was so when you look after the fact it's basically impossible to know which post was which number.

I don't understand why you guys feel the need to make your "milestone" posts particularly special. When you look under someone's user name it always shows what their current number of total posts are not what # each individual post was so when you look after the fact it's basically impossible to know which post was which number.

To be fair I don't remember my birthdays either but that doesn't mean I don't celebrate them

We can celebrate your 4218. It'll be nice. 

I won't speak for Liger, but my reference was obviously a joke.

...and the way to make you milestone posts seem more important...start a new thread proclaiming it!  :P

Edited by LabattBlue

Posts count don't matter, I am just having fun.

Here is a small preview: 

9)      San Jose – Mathew Barzal C

Let us set aside the issues with Thorton and Marleau for a second and look to the future. Now listed at 6ft but still needing to add strength, the soft handed Barzal is a perfect player to have stewing in your prospect pool.  He is offensively gifted with smooth hands, great skating, and the ability to work the cycle.  His vision and O-zone skills are undeniable and also include playmaking and a lightning fast shot release which many say he needs to use more. Defensively when he tries he is quite good but the knock against him is he sometimes floats.  Barzal still projects to be a NHL center by most and would be a welcome addition to a SJS team that will be retooling soon. Barzal is 2-3 years away from the show but should be worth the wait. 

We can celebrate your 4218. It'll be nice.

I'm on my phone now so I don't even know what post number this will be (the mobile version of the site doesn't show post numbers) but I wasn't trying to be a dick, I was just honestly wondering because of the point I made about how individual posts aren't numbered. Makes it seem silly to worry about waiting to do something special for a particular one.

Well it's been a fun trip to 15,000 posts.  Thinking back I have definitely rage quit a few times and most assuredly pissed some people off from time to time.  I think a lot of posts ended up devoted to tank talk which I am happy to see in the rear view mirror.  Either way for post 15,000 I went through and took a look at the first 31 draft draft selections.  Chicago's win last night made it a little easier to determine those last 2 picks.  

My draft mock does not account for trades because that is far to involved and unpredictable.  My rationale for players feel free to debate or ignore.  I looked at team's prospects pools and draft histories. I looked at tons of scouting reports and rankings to determine where a player might go. The result follows closely to what I think we might actually see.  This is my educated guess.  

Here are my predicted first 15 picks in the 2015 NHL entry draft:

1)      Edmonton – Connor McDavid C

The most obvious pick despite what SS seems to believe (Edm will draft him), the 2nd coming of Crosby will be expected to carry his team to victory. He is electrifying on skates and can stick handle his way through a mine field but playing him physical in juniors did show he can be forced off his game.  I actually worry about this pick for EDM because in some ways Connor is more of what they have just in a much better package. That said this kid has more skills than anyone on their team. He can do it all and he is a natural leader. It will be a great pick. EDM needs to add some talented yet gritty veteran wingers.  No need for fear Eichel fans, the Canadian team will take the best player in Canadian McDavid.

2)      Buffalo – Captain Jack C

It would be like if you went to the Miss America after party and Miss America (Canada) went home with someone else but her runner up and you spent all night learning you had everything in common.  Eichel is big, strong, snarky, confident, and has a nasty shot.  He skates so well because he generates infinite power through a great skating stride.  Calm under fire it was interesting to see him adjust to international man hockey this summer.  You could almost see Jack’s mind slowly figuring out exactly how to play.  My only concern is his level of engagement sometimes without the puck in the offensive zone.  That being said I think what Jack is doing at times is going to open areas of the ice in order to get the puck. The kid is absurdly creative when it comes to his plays, sometimes bordering on cute but it almost always works.  I would like Jack and Sam to sit down together because they both think the game at insane levels.  Most experts in hockey claim that in the last 10 years, Jack would have gone 1st overall in 8 of those drafts. This consolation prize is American hockey at its best.  Let’s see what Jack can do.

3)      Arizona – Mitch Marner RW/C

This is the part where I get serious.  Now this pick could theoretically be 3-4 different prospects but I have a hunch Arizona will be smart with it.  Marner outscored Strome in ppg this season and doesn’t come with any of Strome’s skating concerns.  He is a RW who skates like the wind and would look fantastic next to Domi.  His shot is good, stickhandling great, vision, great, and compete strong.  He could be bigger Patty Kane in 3-4 years (style wise, not predicting talent level).  He will need to add muscle because he’s only 5’11” 160LBS. His skating is great though and he is just electrifying to watch.  

4)      Toronto – Dylan Strome C

In some ways they luck out.  After tanking late in the season the Leafs get their center anyways.  Could they take Hanifin here? Sure.  I believe they will take a prospect that literally plays in their backyard and also who is the talented center they have needed since they foolishly traded away that Seguin pick.  Strome does have some skating questions.  He also will need to prove himself outside the shadow of McDavid.  While his ppg is impressive, he had pp time with McDavid and faced 2nd pairings when McD was around.  However he did still produce during the WJC.  Strome will be interesting to watch in the pressure cooker of TOR but it will be his team in a few years so good luck.

5)      Carolina – Noah Hanifin D

With all of the pretty forwards already ask to the prom, Canes will settle for the defender.  Settle is not exactly the right word.  Hanifin sliding to Carolina will actually be very good for them. They have serious defensive issues, they make Buffalo’s defense look good.  Hanifin will be the anchor for a blueline that desperately needs to be rebuilt.  Known for being a puck mover and minute muncher, Noah is an all-around defender with a heavy shot and good instincts. He slides simply because he is a defender and wasn’t as flashy at the end of the year as his forward brethren but he is a legitimate top 5 guy in the draft.  I think he should return for 1 more year of college before going pro just to keep working on his overall game. 

6)      New Jersey – Lawson Crouse LW

He’s big and plays a heavy game. NJD desperately need offense.  Crouse gives them something they lack and he is good defensively. Very strong on the puck with a hard shot. Along the wall Crouse is an animal and will consistently win battles with his size and strength. NJD are about to have some major issues unless they stop drafting terribly and trading away picks. Their prospect pool is barftastic but Crouse will go a long way towards helping them start to improve. He won’t be NHL ready for another year most likely but he should be a very solid player.

7)      Philadelphia - Miko Rantanen RW

Originally had them selecting Provorov but I don’t think they will.  Ratanen gives them a big heavy, powerful, and smart forward.  Ideally they would have liked Crouse but will be happy with Miko.  He has to work on his shot and his skating but he has all the raw tools to be a very good power winger. He needs at least another year but Philly has some time, they are also developing several solid defenders and have used 3 of their last 4 top 2 picks on defenders.  Look for Philly to be on the rise in 2-3 years with a mean defensive core.

8)      Columbus – Ivan Provorov D

After an injury plagued season that was bizarre to say the least, CBJ comes into the draft without really needing anything.  They are surprisingly solid all around but with offensively gifted Provorov sitting there at 8 they grab him and never look back. He has very good skating.  His offense is top notch and he is very solid defensively.  The main drawback to Ivan is simply he isn’t physically ready but should be in smart order. He uses his stick well to break up plays and has solid positioning. Offensively he has a decent shot but honestly his skating an passing are what make him good. 

9)      San Jose –  Mathew Barzal C

Let us set aside the issues with Thorton and Marleau for a second and look to the future. Now listed at 6ft but still needing to add strength, the soft handed Barzal is a perfect player to have stewing in your prospect pool.  He is offensively gifted with smooth hands, great skating, and the ability to work the cycle.  His vision and O-zone skills are undeniable and also include a lightning fast shot release. Defensively when he tries he is quite good but the knock against him is he sometimes floats.  Barzal still projects to be a NHL center by most and would be a welcome addition to a SJS team that will be retooling soon. Barzal is 2-3 years away from the show but should be worth the wait.

10)  Colorado – Zack Werenski D

What goes up must come down.  After an electrifying season the Avalanche came crashing down the mountain.  If you knew their advanced stats it made some sense.  They desperately need a defender who can anchor a weak back line. Enter the Werenski.  Big, strong, smart, physical when needed with an all-around solid game.  If you want someone to anchor your back 4 for a decade this is your guy.  His skating is lovely and his shot is excellent.  The biggest issue is puck watching occasionally but that is just being young.  He will go back to college and in a year or two start his long career on the Avalanche’s blue line. 

11)  Florida – Pavel Zacha C/LW

A team on the rise, FLP look to add size and strength either down the middle or on the right.  Zacha gives them a solid, heavy forward with slight aggression issues. He sometimes, oh idk, gets suspended for destroying ppl.  A problem that he is actually working on correcting Zacha slides in the draft after a suspense filled, injury riddled season.  He is very good though. His shot is excellent and his ability to skate pucks out of pressure is nice.  He needs to work on discipline and learning the NA game more before he suits up in Sunrise but he’s only a little ways off and should be around in time for FLP’s stunning playoff run, in which they lose to Buffalo but they tried.

12)  Dallas – Timo Meier LW/RW

Now depending on whom you read Meier projects all over the place but I like him in Dallas. First he will be the most offensively gifted but heavy player left. Second he has improved a lot over the year and that is great sign. He is a lefty who plays the RW and will go back to juniors but he is going to be a very interesting player to watch. He could be a 1st line winger, or he could be a 3rd line grinder with a scoring touch. Hard to judge but I think Dallas will think he is worth the risk. Dallas is one of those teams that you think should be better but currently is not.  In 3 years Timo might help them over that hump.

13)  Los Angeles – Kyle Connor C

He could easily go 11 or 12 but I have him sliding a touch.  Connor is a very speedy, agile, all around solid player. He can be flashy and he can be physical although he needs strength to really reach potential.  His offensive game is good although his shot IMPO could be better.  His hockey IQ is talked about often and is clearly visible. He will add some good forward depth to an LA Kings team that will probably need to do a quick retool.  They have some major cap issues going into next year but Connor won’t have to worry as he is probably 2-3 years away.

14)  Boston – Travis Konecny C

The big bad Bruins were mostly just bad.  Lucic looks like crud and honestly they are showing signs of aging.  That brings us to Konecny.  He has offensive talent up the wazoo.  His skating is excellent and he is a battler anywhere on the ice. The issue is he is undersized at 5’10” but that hasn’t stopped him.  With the Bruins under some new management I see them leaning a bit away from the heavy and looking at a bit more talent.  With his impressive skills Konecny could be a solid #2 center in a few years. Most note his leadership qualities and his gritty play but also he can skate around you.  If the Bruins aren’t stupid they will trust the kid’s skill over his size. 

15)  Calgary – Jakub Zboril D

Damn you Flames.  Well it can’t be helped.  Calgary is a fancy stats anomaly.  They should be worse than they are but with Sean Monahan on your team miracles can happen.  I can only imagine what happens when Sam Bennett gets a full season. The Flames should slide a bit but they will go a long way towards future success with the addition of Zboril. He is the last of the all-around defenders in my mind and everyone after him is a step below. He is big and physical in his own end and yet has some good passing and shooting skills. Zboril needs at least another year in junior and probably 2.  He is still learning the game but projects out to be a potential top 2 defender. 

Well it's been a fun trip to 15,000 posts.  Thinking back I have definitely rage quit a few times and most assuredly pissed some people off from time to time.  I think a lot of posts ended up devoted to tank talk which I am happy to see in the rear view mirror.  Either way for post 15,000 I went through and took a look at the first 31 draft draft selections.  Chicago's win last night made it a little easier to determine those last 2 picks.  

My draft mock does not account for trades because that is far to involved and unpredictable.  My rationale for players feel free to debate or ignore.  I looked at team's prospects pools and draft histories. I looked at tons of scouting reports and rankings to determine where a player might go. The result follows closely to what I think we might actually see.  This is my educated guess.  

The most obvious pick despite what SS seems to believe (Edm will draft him), the 2nd coming of Crosby will be expected to carry his team to victory. He is electrifying on skates and can stick handle his way through a mine field but playing him physical in juniors did show he can be forced off his game.  I actually worry about this pick for EDM because in some ways Connor is more of what they have just in a much better package. That said this kid has more skills than anyone on their team. He can do it all and he is a natural leader. It will be a great pick. EDM needs to add some talented yet gritty veteran wingers.  No need for fear Eichel fans, the Canadian team will take the best player in Canadian McDavid.

It would be like if you went to the Miss America after party and Miss America (Canada) went home with someone else but her runner up and you spent all night learning you had everything in common.  Eichel is big, strong, snarky, confident, and has a nasty shot.  He skates so well because he generates infinite power through a great skating stride.  Calm under fire it was interesting to see him adjust to international man hockey this summer.  You could almost see Jack’s mind slowly figuring out exactly how to play.  My only concern is his level of engagement sometimes without the puck in the offensive zone.  That being said I think what Jack is doing at times is going to open areas of the ice in order to get the puck. The kid is absurdly creative when it comes to his plays, sometimes bordering on cute but it almost always works.  I would like Jack and Sam to sit down together because they both think the game at insane levels.  Most experts in hockey claim that in the last 10 years, Jack would have gone 1st overall in 8 of those drafts. This consolation prize is American hockey at its best.  Let’s see what Jack can do.

This is the part where I get serious.  Now this pick could theoretically be 3-4 different prospects but I have a hunch Arizona will be smart with it.  Marner outscored Strome in ppg this season and doesn’t come with any of Strome’s skating concerns.  He is a RW who skates like the wind and would look fantastic next to Domi.  His shot is good, stickhandling great, vision, great, and compete strong.  He could be bigger Patty Kane in 3-4 years (style wise, not predicting talent level).  He will need to add muscle because he’s only 5’11” 160LBS. His skating is great though and he is just electrifying to watch.  

In some ways they luck out.  After tanking late in the season the Leafs get their center anyways.  Could they take Hanifin here? Sure.  I believe they will take a prospect that literally plays in their backyard and also who is the talented center they have needed since they foolishly traded away that Seguin pick.  Strome does have some skating questions.  He also will need to prove himself outside the shadow of McDavid.  While his ppg is impressive, he had pp time with McDavid and faced 2nd pairings when McD was around.  However he did still produce during the WJC.  Strome will be interesting to watch in the pressure cooker of TOR but it will be his team in a few years so good luck.

With all of the pretty forwards already ask to the prom, Canes will settle for the defender.  Settle is not exactly the right word.  Hanifin sliding to Carolina will actually be very good for them. They have serious defensive issues, they make Buffalo’s defense look good.  Hanifin will be the anchor for a blueline that desperately needs to be rebuilt.  Known for being a puck mover and minute muncher, Noah is an all-around defender with a heavy shot and good instincts. He slides simply because he is a defender and wasn’t as flashy at the end of the year as his forward brethren but he is a legitimate top 5 guy in the draft.  I think he should return for 1 more year of college before going pro just to keep working on his overall game. 

He’s big and plays a heavy game. NJD desperately need offense.  Crouse gives them something they lack and he is good defensively. Very strong on the puck with a hard shot. Along the wall Crouse is an animal and will consistently win battles with his size and strength. NJD are about to have some major issues unless they stop drafting terribly and trading away picks. Their prospect pool is barftastic but Crouse will go a long way towards helping them start to improve. He won’t be NHL ready for another year most likely but he should be a very solid player.

Originally had them selecting Provorov but I don’t think they will.  Ratanen gives them a big heavy, powerful, and smart forward.  Ideally they would have liked Crouse but will be happy with Miko.  He has to work on his shot and his skating but he has all the raw tools to be a very good power winger. He needs at least another year but Philly has some time, they are also developing several solid defenders and have used 3 of their last 4 top 2 picks on defenders.  Look for Philly to be on the rise in 2-3 years with a mean defensive core.

After an injury plagued season that was bizarre to say the least, CBJ comes into the draft without really needing anything.  They are surprisingly solid all around but with offensively gifted Provorov sitting there at 8 they grab him and never look back. He has very good skating.  His offense is top notch and he is very solid defensively.  The main drawback to Ivan is simply he isn’t physically ready but should be in smart order. He uses his stick well to break up plays and has solid positioning. Offensively he has a decent shot but honestly his skating an passing are what make him good. 

Let us set aside the issues with Thorton and Marleau for a second and look to the future. Now listed at 6ft but still needing to add strength, the soft handed Barzal is a perfect player to have stewing in your prospect pool.  He is offensively gifted with smooth hands, great skating, and the ability to work the cycle.  His vision and O-zone skills are undeniable and also include a lightning fast shot release. Defensively when he tries he is quite good but the knock against him is he sometimes floats.  Barzal still projects to be a NHL center by most and would be a welcome addition to a SJS team that will be retooling soon. Barzal is 2-3 years away from the show but should be worth the wait.

What goes up must come down.  After an electrifying season the Avalanche came crashing down the mountain.  If you knew their advanced stats it made some sense.  They desperately need a defender who can anchor a weak back line. Enter the Werenski.  Big, strong, smart, physical when needed with an all-around solid game.  If you want someone to anchor your back 4 for a decade this is your guy.  His skating is lovely and his shot is excellent.  The biggest issue is puck watching occasionally but that is just being young.  He will go back to college and in a year or two start his long career on the Avalanche’s blue line. 

A team on the rise, FLP look to add size and strength either down the middle or on the right.  Zacha gives them a solid, heavy forward with slight aggression issues. He sometimes, oh idk, gets suspended for destroying ppl.  A problem that he is actually working on correcting Zacha slides in the draft after a suspense filled, injury riddled season.  He is very good though. His shot is excellent and his ability to skate pucks out of pressure is nice.  He needs to work on discipline and learning the NA game more before he suits up in Sunrise but he’s only a little ways off and should be around in time for FLP’s stunning playoff run, in which they lose to Buffalo but they tried.

Now depending on whom you read Meier projects all over the place but I like him in Dallas. First he will be the most offensively gifted but heavy player left. Second he has improved a lot over the year and that is great sign. He is a lefty who plays the RW and will go back to juniors but he is going to be a very interesting player to watch. He could be a 1st line winger, or he could be a 3rd line grinder with a scoring touch. Hard to judge but I think Dallas will think he is worth the risk. Dallas is one of those teams that you think should be better but currently is not.  In 3 years Timo might help them over that hump.

He could easily go 11 or 12 but I have him sliding a touch.  Connor is a very speedy, agile, all around solid player. He can be flashy and he can be physical although he needs strength to really reach potential.  His offensive game is good although his shot IMPO could be better.  His hockey IQ is talked about often and is clearly visible. He will add some good forward depth to an LA Kings team that will probably need to do a quick retool.  They have some major cap issues going into next year but Connor won’t have to worry as he is probably 2-3 years away.

The big bad Bruins were mostly just bad.  Lucic looks like crud and honestly they are showing signs of aging.  That brings us to Konecny.  He has offensive talent up the wazoo.  His skating is excellent and he is a battler anywhere on the ice. The issue is he is undersized at 5’10” but that hasn’t stopped him.  With the Bruins under some new management I see them leaning a bit away from the heavy and looking at a bit more talent.  With his impressive skills Konecny could be a solid #2 center in a few years. Most note his leadership qualities and his gritty play but also he can skate around you.  If the Bruins aren’t stupid they will trust the kid’s skill over his size. 

Damn you Flames.  Well it can’t be helped.  Calgary is a fancy stats anomaly.  They should be worse than they are but with Sean Monahan on your team miracles can happen.  I can only imagine what happens when Sam Bennett gets a full season. The Flames should slide a bit but they will go a long way towards future success with the addition of Zboril. He is the last of the all-around defenders in my mind and everyone after him is a step below. He is big and physical in his own end and yet has some good passing and shooting skills. Zboril needs at least another year in junior and probably 2.  He is still learning the game but projects out to be a potential top 2 defender. 

Great write-up! I'm looking forward to part two.

Awesome post Liger, can't wait to see who you have us taking at 21.  :beer:

I know it doesn't take into account draft-day trades because, well, that would be impossible. But I still think CBJ trades that pick, and I wouldn't mind asking

Great write-up! I'm looking forward to part two.

Awesome post Liger, can't wait to see who you have us taking at 21.  :beer:

I know it doesn't take into account draft-day trades because, well, that would be impossible. But I still think CBJ trades that pick, and I wouldn't mind asking

Part 2 is actually done as far as who is going where.  I surprised myself with Buffalo's pick at 21 but looking at things I couldn't say no.  The 21 pick is definitely somewhat of a risk on my part but it felt right.  Should be done by this afternoon or tomorrow.

I see NJ taking Rantanen or Barzal over Crouse, and Philly taking Zacha or Crouse.  Boston being a Svechnikov landing spot, the top 12 seemed flawless even seamless to me.   Very solid reasoning.  I will be anticipating seeing picks #16 and #21.  

Edited by TheCerebral1