Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

I would like to add that I think Murary wants to trade up and take a shot at Provorov or Werenski. Outside of the defenders we have or we know about there isn't anyone in the system.  McCabe and Pysyk are it.  Adding one of those guys would be great.

I legitimately remember typing Boston College. I even remember going and changing Eichel's "Terriers" to "University" to make it easier to separate. D'oh!

I wish we had him.  That would be one of the most stacked college rosters imaginable.

I would like to add that I think Murary wants to trade up and take a shot at Provorov or Werenski. Outside of the defenders we have or we know about there isn't anyone in the system.  McCabe and Pysyk are it.  Adding one of those guys would be great.

I agree with this.  Not sure we have the amo to get up to Provorov but if we can slide ahead of Dallas at 10 or 11 and grab Werenski that would be phenomenal.

Edited by Derrico

For anyone who has ESPN Insider, Corey Pronman has a new article up where he argues approximately 75% of all drafting success is luck.

Does he make a good case? My initial reaction to that claim is it's clickbait bs

1)      Edmonton – McDavid

2)      Buffalo – Eichel

3)      Arizona – Marner (think they will trade down though)

4)      Toronto – Strome

5)      Carolina – Hanifin

6)      New Jersey – Barzal

7)      Philadelphia – Zacha

8)      Columbus – Provorov

9)      San Jose – Werenski

10)   Colorado – Rantanen

11)   Florida – Crouse

12)   Dallas – Connor

13)   LA – White

14)   Boston – Merkley

15)   Calgary – Jeremy Roy

16)   Edmonton – Samsonov

17)   Winnipeg – Meier

18)   Ottawa – Konecny

19)   Detroit – Eriksson Ek

20)   Minnesota – Svechnikov

21)   Buffalo – Guryanov

22)   Washington – Zboril

23)   Vancouver – Boeser

24)   Toronto – Bittner

25)   Winnipeg – DeBrusk

26)   Montreal – Harkins

27)   Anaheim- Carlo

28)   Tampa - Sprong

29)   Philadelphia – Chabot

30)   Arizona -  Roslovic

31)   Buffalo - Carlsson

Here's an interesting mock (if you can get past him tooting his own horn at mediocre at best results from past years mocks).

http://thehockeywriters.com/4th-annual-nhl-mock-draft-2015-round-1/

He has Zacha at 6 and Crouse at 11 as well. Thought I was out on a limb all by myself. Would be disappointed if Sabres take Bracco with both Russian wingers on the board. If Sabres go D with the 21st pick I wouldnt mind Bracco at 31 though.

@ Crusader.

If Crouse drops to 11, I'd be waving 21 and 31 to Florida.

I might even add.

Id add Zacha and Rantanen to that list to try to move up for.

Edited by Crusader1969

It was fun going through and trying to figure this list out.  I learned a lot and have a better understanding of the first round of this draft. There are going to be several trades I think but hopefully the mocks around here give people some ideas on what to expect.  Oh and I heard that Jack Eichel kid is a little bit okay.

21)      Buffalo – Evgeny Svechnikov LW

A Russian winger? Sure we could use one of those. In Mother Russia Evgeny scores goals with an impressive shot. This past season he brought the act to the Q where he had 32g in 55 games.  Very clever and creative in the offensive zone the big power winger can force defenders into turn overs and then whip a pass across ice for a teammate.  He really is quite the dangerous offensive weapon.  So why is he sliding? Well his defensive game is wonky.  It isn’t some Russian stereotype that he won’t play defense.  He does play defense and tries really hard but he needs a bunch of coaching to figure this part of his game. With a young group of Russian players already in the locker room or about to be, adding a very talented sniper like Evgeny seems like a smart choice for Buffalo. I wonder about Murray adding a Russian though.

22)      Washington – Thomas Chabot D

Do the caps ever draft defense? Idk, maybe. This guy is a puck moving defender with good offensive instincts.  A lot of people have questions about his defensive game.  His skating is really good but sometimes he misreads the play and ends up out of position. Of course the Caps are an offensive minded team and Chabot is looking like a potential PP QB.  This one is a small gamble. He could be your top pairing guy or end up as your bottom pairing guy.  Good ceiling but bad floor.

23)      Vancouver – Jansen Harkins C

They need to restock the center and some other places.  Harkins is a very good player for them. In some ways he is under the radar but he plays north of Vancouver so they will be very familiar with him.  Good skating with a strong puck protection game he is a playmaker at heart. He plays a solid 200ft game and has worked on faceoffs this year.  This pick will be interesting for Vancouver because they could go a lot of ways but Harkins will be there and gives them a lot of things they lack.  He should be a 2nd line center someday but could go higher.  He had 79pts in 70 games last year so his upcoming junior year will be fun to keep an eye on.  With how smart he is given credit for, could be a great pick at #23.

24)      Toronto – Brandon Carlo D

Big strong defender.  That is the best description of Carlo I could give. The Leafs are in rebuild mode and what better to help the rebuild than a project defender who is Zadorov’s height.  He is solid in the defensive zone but only this year started to really develop his offensive game.  He is physical and will battle. His skating is good. I don’t like him because I think he really lacks a wow factor.  I think the leafs will like him because of his size and ceiling.  He could be a minute eating defender down the road.  With him I would say another year in juniors and then 2 years in the AHL before even a thought of NHL.  He has a ton of raw tools but needs time to grow into his frame.

25)      Winnipeg – Oliver Kylington D

Still there and they could use a slick puck mover. I hate Kylington, there I said it. But let’s discuss his good qualities.  Kylington is an excellent skater with great speed, quickness, agility.  Offensively he can be very savvy with slick passing and a decent shot.  Now defensively he is soft.  He gets pushed off the puck and he gets overwhelmed by physical or bigger forwards. This is why I dislike him.  In today’s NHL you need to be physically able to survive that 6’2” 220lb forward who is trying to put you through the end of the rink.  He just is missing something and I he reminds me of Marc Andre Gragani with better skater.  He don’t pass that there EYE test!  That said he could pan out into a player like Erik Karlsson with really solid offensive play.  Note I am not saying he will be Erik Karlsson but I meant a true offensive defender.

26)      Montreal – Filip Chlapik C

A Plekanec like center at #26, sigh Montreal up. The good parts of his game involve controlling the play in the offensive zone.  He battles for pucks and his strong on his skates.  Montreal should love him because he really does look like Plekanec at times. Seems to understand the defensive sides of things as well.  What really hurts him though is skating.  I feel like the Achilles heel of a lot of guys is their skating. In today’s NHL I think it is vital but I also recognize it can be taught. Personally this is the type of player Montreal needs and he is ranked right around this spot. It’s a match made in heaven.

27)      Anaheim – Jordan Greenway LW

You know what makes Anaheim happy? Big strong wingers for Getzlaf.  He’s 6’5” and had has good skating.  Physically he likes to battle and is quite good at protecting the puck and cycling it around.  Anaheim would love someone like him to be brewing in their prospect pool because he also is defensively responsible. This means he actually can play defense and does. The biggest question mark is why he scores goals so infrequently.  Some believe he passes to often and some think his shot selection is terrible. Either way with the size he brings and ability to protect the puck and play defense, without the scoring he could probably plug into a 3rd line role.  He’s probably 4 years away from seeing NHL ice.

28)      Tampa Bay – Daniel Sprong RW

Close but no cigar.  After coming up short in the Finals I expect this pick to be traded at the draft.  That said if Sprong is still here any team would be lucky to have him.  He is a pure sniper with an excellent wrist shot. Go watch his highlights you will see it. His IQ and skating are very good and help him get into position. His problem is he lacks strength for prolonged board battles down low. The real issue with him is he doesn’t always play defense. He likes looking for that long lead pass and can miss assignments in his own end. He has a ton of upside though. 

29)      Philadelphia – Anthony Beauvillier C/LW

Slick skating C/LW should help us win that cup, or at least that is what Philly hopes.  He has the hockey IQ and passing skills to play center. He has the shot skills and battle to play wing. I think he probably ends up at center.  He’s very smart and can be creative.  No matter the zone this kid is battling and gritty.  He really doesn’t like to lose.  People will question his size at just barely 5’11” but it hasn’t stopped him yet.  With such good skating and stickhandling he should become a top 6 forward in time.  By time I mean 4 years.  Ideally you want him in juniors for 2 years and then the AHL for 2 years.  He just turned 18 last week so he’s very young and there is no need to rush.

30)  Arizona – Brock Boeser C

Hard work in the perfect package.  I really want him to be a Sabre but it didn’t work out that way.  This kid is also a sniper although I think Beauvillier has a few more tools to choose from.  He is 6’1” and is a good skater with good puckhandling skills. Also Boeser is not known for ever taking a night off. Hard to knock off the puck and very gritty, Boeser will battle in all 3 zones. So why is he here?  Well he has great intentions but sometimes in the defensive zone he loses his coverage and reads things wrong. Now in Las Vegas’ I mean Phoenix, I mean Arizona’s case they can let him sit and work on his game for the next 4 years and not worry about it.  Their rebuild will probably be that long.  In the end they may end up with a really solid top 6 forward.

31)  Buffalo - Jacob Larsson D

Hey look a left handed defender from a foreign country, something Buffalo never has. He is 6’2” 190lbs already and has spent some time playing against men in the SHL.  Now his skating is very very good.  He is fast, has agility, with excellence balance. Smart in his own zone he plays a gritty game with solid positioning. He has an excellent first pass out of the zone and can even be a good trailer with his hard low shot.  Sounds like a dream right? Well the issue is his offensive zone stuff.  He isn’t bad but he doesn’t have that offensive skill scouts like to see.  He can pass and shoot fairly well but he sometimes elects to make the easier play in the o-zone instead of being creative.  Now for me I don’t care if he never QB’s the pp.  With a little seasoning he might develop it some.  Larsson is 3 years away and will probably play at least another full season before coming to Rochester.  This is the guy that you want waiting in the wings though during that cup run in 4 years. He’s just solid.

Thank you for all these write-ups.  They are excellent and will help me enjoy the draft that much more!