Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Nice work Liger

Interesting pinch points for me:

3-9) I think there are teams here who will like Zacha/Provorov/Barzal better than Hanifan/Strome/Marner. I predict at least one of the former group goes higher than one of the latter, or a team in this area trades down and still gets the guy they like. Strome is the most likely to drop.

6) I think Jersey will want more skill than Crouse offers. I think Philly is the only team in the top eight that might take Crouse.

12) Dallas needs a defenceman. If the top 11 go like you predict, I think this pick is available for a team wanting to move up.

Nice work Liger

Interesting pinch points for me:

3-9) I think there are teams here who will like Zacha/Provorov/Barzal better than Hanifan/Strome/Marner. I predict at least one of the former group goes higher than one of the latter, or a team in this area trades down and still gets the guy they like. Strome is the most likely to drop.

6) I think Jersey will want more skill than Crouse offers. I think Philly is the only team in the top eight that might take Crouse.

12) Dallas needs a defenceman. If the top 11 go like you predict, I think this pick is available for a team wanting to move up.

I can see Arizona taking Strome meaning those picks would flip. I can easily see Philly taking Crouse and almost let him slide down.  Dallas and Columbus I could see involved with a trade. It would allow Dallas to take one of the remaining top defenders (Werenski, Provorov).  

This draft is going to be very fluid I think.  A lot of the guys between say 9-16 are similar enough. 17-31 is also similar.  Very hard to predict. 

regarding 15000.

I think it's good, there's stuff I could argue.  The Sharks, I believe, know what they are doing, and thus wouldn't let Werenski go by, but Barzal wouldn't be crazy.  Predicting what the New Jersey Devils or Philadelphia Flyers will do? That's above my skill level.

I look forward to pick 19, see where you go with it. I've been thinking about it some.

Really only about 4 players left to do write ups on but I'll do that tomorrow. In the meantime here is my mock for 16-20.  Yes I deliberately left off #21... mainly because I want to sleep on it before deciding but also because why not.

16)      Edmonton – Jeremy Roy D

A team that desperately needs a good young defense core gets a step closer.  A very good skater this offensively minded kid comes to us from the QMJHL. Personally I question the Q but his talent can’t be denied. The issue with Roy is for a defender he is below average in height at only 6”.  I am biased to guys who are taller than that but let’s be fair.  His passing and offensive zone play is quite excellent which should help an EDM team that can use help everywhere. His defensive zone play is good but in my mind a step below the offensive zone stuff.  That said he by all accounts is a strong player in his own end.  I actually think he will help round out that up and coming EDM defense core. 

17)       Winnipeg – Colin White C

Who needs a slick center that can anchor your 2nd line for years? Well Winnipeg is still potentially a playoff team, the lack of a lot of the center pieces they need to step up to contender.  White is puck possession type of player who could be in the same mold as one Patrice Bergeron from some comparisons.  That’s a tall order but time will tell. Good shot and passing skills he can equally QB your PP or hold down the fort on PK with his willingness to battle and get the puck back.  He is a few years away and his rankings vary but overall this would be a great pick for Winnipeg.

18)      Ottawa – Nick Merkley RW/C

I feel bad for Ottawa as they have a clear internal cap and they appear to be at the height of what their current core can do.  Now if you toss Merkley onto their prospect pool some good things could happen. Nick is a bit small in height but is already in the 190lb range.  His skating is a strength as is his vision/playmaking.  No one really raves about his shot but it is adequate.  Defensively he is very sound.  Known for his high energy and will to win, Merkley is going to be a solid NHL winger, the question is will he be a 1st line, 2nd line or 3rd line guy?  Hard to tell but in 3 years we should have an answer. I think he would be a very solid pickup for Ottawa.

19)      Detroit – Joel Ek Eriksson C

What Lassie? Kenny fell down the well again?  I see Detroit going back to that European well they love so much yet again.  That said Eriksson is a solid center prospect with tons of upside. Now the biggest issue with him is skating.  The good news is reports from the beginning of the year compared to now change and his skating is much less of a concern. He does have good balance but his top end speed and stuff is meh.  So why is Detroit taking him?  Well outside of his skating his shot is world class, his two way play is damn good, and he is willing to battle for the puck in all 3 zones.  I hear he is good at faceoffs as well. If Detroit can snag him, they could have Datsyuk light waiting in the wings. Dylan Larkin might appreciate the center ice help for sure. 

20)      Minnesota – Paul Bittner LW

He’s a heavy player who will help the Wild. Ottawa or Winnipeg could take him but this guy kind of ranks all over the board.  A big bodied puck protecting winger Bittner doesn’t really have a flaw other than some only predict his ceiling at 2nd line.  If that’s a flaw so be it.  His skating is quite good and he has a solid shot.  Considering Minn. is a bit soft in a few years he should help that problem.  He can be physical but not in a Lucic type of way, more in a Zemgus battle sort of way.  Bittner I find very interesting because he has a lot of tools and skills but I wonder how well he will put it all together. Very solid pick at 20. 

Minny took Alex Tuch last year, so I could see them more inclined to go defence this year.

But no quibbles with anyone else.

Oilers pretty much have to go defence don't they?

White is a good fit for Winnipeg, and Merkley and Eriksson Ek seem very much like a typical Senator and a Wing pick respectively.

If it's me I am not hesitating a second on grabbing Svechnikov at 21.

He's the best player available and fills need; kid has a Hossa-style frame and game.

If it's me I am not hesitating a second on grabbing Svechnikov at 21.

He's the best player available and fills need; kid has a Hossa-style frame and game.

Second best player behind Guryanov.  Does the Russian factor move Svechnikov down the board?

Well thought out Mock Draft though.

I like Marner better than anyone else after Eichel and McDavid but the Coyotes have a strong need for big centers and I could see them taking Strome and may even surprise with Zacha. 

Edited by Crusader1969

Alright, here's my mock. I haven't been as ingrained in the process this year as I have in years past, but this is essentially just a ton of reading and watching when I can... Hope you enjoy.

1. Edmonton Oilers - Connor McDavid, C, Erie Otters (OHL)

No explanation needed for this one.

2. Buffalo Sabres - Jack Eichel, C, Boston University (NCAA)

No explanation needed for this one, either.

3. Arizona Coyotes - Dylan Strome, C, Erie Otters (OHL)

Arizona should be locked in on Strome barring any crazy trade offers. He's got elite size and will be a huge part of their young core going forward. Skating is really the only knock on the CHL's scoring champion from this year.

4. Toronto Maple Leafs - Noah Hanifin, D, Boston College (NCAA)

This isn't a flashy pick, and I'm sure it won't excite Leaf fans but it's the right pick. They're a ways off of any real success so getting an elite defensive prospect in at the beginning of the rebuild will allow him to grow by the time he's needed. He'll be a minute-eating defenseman. Steady as they come.

5. Carolina Hurricanes - Mitch Marner, C/RW, London Knights (OHL)

Most will mention Marner's size as a hindrance to any early selection, but he's bigger than plenty of guys that have had success recently. He's electrifying on the ice which might worry some about the transition, but he's got the smarts to transition into a Claude Giroux type without as much edge.

6. New Jersey Devils - Mathew Barzal, C, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)

If it weren't for injuries Barzal would be right there with Marner/Strome. He's going to be a leader at the next level which is something the Devils sorely need now that age has devoured them. One of the smartest kids in this draft.

7. Philadelphia Flyers - Lawson Crouse, LW, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)

His offensive numbers don't blow you away, but he's the big power-winger that every team dreams of. His numbers should translate pretty evenly to the next level because he'll be able to use his size to make room for a solid shot.

8. Columbus Blue Jackets - Ivan Provorov, D, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)

This is the absolute floor for Provorov, but Blue Jackets management jumps off the floor with excitement if he's still there. He's an offensive machine from the blue line with just over a point-per game in Brandon this season. He's an even better defensive prospect than Ryan Murray was when they took him at 2 in 2012.

9. San Jose Sharks - Mikko Rantanen, RW, TPS Turku (SM-liiga)

Rantanen is a man-boy that has played with men already. The Finnish forward has a better mixture of size and skill than anybody not named Jack Eichel in this draft. He's the perfect fit for the Sharks who could get Rantanen in early and retool on the fly instead of rebuilding entirely.

10. Colorado Avalanche - Zack Werenski, D, U. of Michigan (NCAA)

Werenski is an ideal dman for a team that has a ton of skill up front. He has shown he can move the puck and make plays under any level of duress. He's the type that will walk in for an open shot and surprise you with a tape-to-tape pass for an open net wrister in front.

11. Florida Panthers - Pavel Zacha, C/LW, Sarnia Sting (OHL)

Zacha is the type that wants it so bad he'll do almost anything. He's got the size and ability to do just that, but he'll have to get himself under a little better control. Suspensions and injuries are a bit of a worry. The skill and size should outweigh that on draft day.

12. Dallas Stars - Timo Meier, C/LW, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

Meier is the next best forward that has some size left on the board. He'll be all over the ice in the offensive zone finding a place to unload an NHL-level shot. He's a definite scorer at this point who will need good defensive coaching, but there's enough offensive ability to take a chance.

13. Los Angeles Kings - Nick Merkley, C, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)

He's got a great playmaking sense on the ice. He's at his best when he skates to the open area with the puck and finds an open teammate. Willing to do it all on the ice.

14. Boston Bruins - Kyle Connor, C/LW, Youngstown (USHL)

Connor has every ounce of ability you would want. Smart, great hands, decent size and produces consistently. He'll need some time to develop, but he's already got decent size at this age.

15. Calgary Flames - Joel Eriksson-Ek, C, Farjested (SHL)

He's one of the best defensive forwards in this draft. He's a bit slow, but if he can overcome that he'll be a Selke-type forward once his game rounds out at the next level. He provides some size for Calgary who is built to be fast and skilled.

16. Edmonton Oilers - Ilya Samsonov, G, Magnitogorsk (KHL)

I won't pretend to know much about Samsonov, but I have a feeling this will be their pick. I expect the Oilers to acquire a young NHL netminder and get a top prospect in net to make sure the problem is solved in time for the team to contend.

17. Winnipeg Jets - Travis Konecny, C, Ottawa 67s (OHL)

He doesn't bring the type of game that most guys his size do as he plays a better all-around game than most. He's got great vision and speed to make plays for himself and others on the offensive end, but his desire to really dig in on defense makes him that much more appealing. Very few want to win more than Konecny in this draft.

18. Ottawa Senators - Thomas Chabot, D, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)

Chabot makes plays for everybody else with his strong skating and passing. He'll need more time working on his shot and defensive game, but he should turn into a reliable dman firmly in a second pairing on a good defensive team.

19. Detroit Red Wings - Colin White, C, USNTDP (USHL)

Watching him play with the US at Juniors he looked like a leader on the ice. He produced two game-winning goals for them and has produced at a consistent pace with every team he's played on. Quick skater that will pick your pocket then fly up the ice and break your heart.

20. Minnesota Wild - Jeremy Roy, D, Sherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL)

He can be a powerplay QB as he is a fantastic skater who will keep the puck moving and in his zone. You won't see him make a ton of mistakes with the puck, and he really works his stick well on the defensive end.

21. Buffalo Sabres - Jakub Zboril, D, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)

A lot of similarities to Roy above, but Zboril brings more size to his game. He'll take a couple years to develop, but he's got the potential to be a top-four dman who plays both sides of the puck very well. Will have a few highlight-reel checks during his time.

22. Washington Capitals - Yevgeni Svechnikov, LW, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL)

Maybe the most one-dimensional forward in this draft, Svechnikov will be the type that spends most of his efforts in the offensive zone. Really has a feel for that side of his game and could become elite if he figures out how to add a little defense to his game.

23. Vancouver Canucks - Denis Guryanov, RW, Ladia Togliatti (MHL)

This is a player I'm still not too familiar with. From what I've read he's an offensive player that hasn't learned how to use his big body yet. He'll be in the KHL next year which will be huge for him to gain much-needed experience with bigger players.

24. Toronto Maple Leafs - Jansen Harkins, C, Prince George Cougars (WHL)

Harkins is an all-situations forward that will make his teammates look better. His game isn't that of a player concerned with making himself look good. Solid defensive game in a forward that will focus on making the game easier for his teammates.

25. Winnipeg Jets - Oliver Kylington, D, Farjested (SHL)

His fall has been well-documented around here. Some were making Erik Karlsson comparisons early, but his stock has fallen due largely to inconsistency this season. He'll need to be more consistent defensively and settle things down offensive, but there's some upside here.

26. Montreal Canadiens - Paul Bittner, LW, Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

One of my favorite players in this draft. Bittner will buy in to whatever the team asks him to do. He's a leader who possesses great size and is essentially a seventh defenseman on the ice. He isn't very consistent offensively, but he's got a decent shot and ability to clean it up around the net.

27. Anaheim Ducks - Daniel Sprong, RW, Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL)

Sprong has been all over draft boards largely because his offensive game isn't something that many believe will translate to the NHL. He has produced at an elite level to this point, but he'll likely be the type that has to spend a year or two in the AHL before hitting NHL ice. Anaheim can afford to wait.

28. Tampa Bay Lightning - Brock Boeser, LW, Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL)

Boeser is a scoring winger with elite finishing ability. He'll be perfect for a team that looks set up long-term with playmaking centers. His shot coupled with that finishing ability makes him a candidate for a few 30-goal seasons at his peak. He is very responsible defensively.

29. Philadelphia Flyers - Anthony Beauvillier, LW, Shawnigan Cataractes (QMJHL)

Small winger who will make plays in a flash. He'll be better off getting the puck and making a quick play as his stick handling isn't the best, but he's going to keep the puck moving in the right direction. He sneak his way into scoring position if you don't keep an eye on him in the offensive zone.

30. Arizona Coyotes - Brandon Carlo, D, Tri-City Americans (WHL)

He's got some similarities to Nikita Zadorov as a prospect, but the Coyotes will hope that his offensive game develops surprisingly fast like Zadorov's did. He's got great size and will take away the play right when the offensive player thinks they have an opening. Very strong.

Edited by Hoss

I like your mock. Mainly because we get Zboril but as anyone can see that 11-20 range is fluid. Expect movement on draft day.

Exactly. I had a run on forwards in the middle and changed the order of forwards there about ten times.

And I bet each change would have made perfect sense. Team preference is really going to sway things.

Exactly. That's why I try to make mocks essentially a power ranking with team need considered. If there's persistent rumors that a team likes a kid then I'll slot them in.

"Heavy lifting". I'm grateful. I'd be interested, your time and taste allowing, for your NHL "comparables" for the kids. It would be interesting to see where your eyes converge and diverge.

Open to all, of course.

Edited by Neo

"Heavy lifting". I'm grateful. I'd be interested, your time and taste allowing, for your NHL "comparables" for the kids. It would be interesting to see where your eyes converge and diverge.

Open to all, of course.

My prejudices from Hoss's list.

3) Dylan Strome - upside Jason Allison, downside Mikhail Grigorenko

Not a top-five pick. Has the hands and the head, but not the feet or the heart. Will score points, but will not be a franchise centre.

4) Noah Hanifan - Jay Bouwmeester

Smart, safe and a beautiful skater. Will play in the top pair for a long time. Won't score enough or hit enough to be a franchise guy.

5) Mitch Marner - upside Patrick Kane, downside Tyler Ennis

Third most talented player in this draft.

6) Matt Barzal - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Underrated the same way Joe Sakic was in his draft year. A legitimate first-line centre.

7) Lawson Crouse - upside Eric Lindros with a 30/30 offensive ceiling, downside Marcus Foligno with Evander Kane wheels.

Love this kid. Has everything but creativity and soft hands, but he has more O than he gets credit for.

8) Ivan Provorov - upside Mike Ramsey with offence, downside Mike Ramsey

My favourite defenceman in this draft. Kid is a baller.

Open to all, of course.

More...

9) Mikko Rantanen - Corey Perry without the douchiness

Don't think he has Perry's upside, but has a similar skill set and plays a similar game. Responsible kid and a safe pick

10) Zachary Werenski - upside Alex Pietrangelo

More offensive potential than Hanifan. Will make more mistakes and has a lower floor, but has all the tools

11) Pavel Zacha - upside Peter Forsberg without the elite playmaking, downside Patrick Stefan

Hard to get a read on his first year in NA. Edgy and versatile with a lot of tools to dominate in the dirty game.

12) Timo Meier - upside Brandon Saad, downside Drew Stafford

Some think he is a creation of Nikolaj Ehlers, but I see a solid package with more grit than Drew.

13) Nick Merkley - upside Justin Williams

No power game, but knows how to play hockey. I like him, but his downside means he could just be a guy.

14) Kyle Connor - Jeff Skinner

Kid's got an under-appreciated skill level. Fast, and a very good stickhandler

Dudacek - this is awesome. Thank you. I've read about skills. Now I see players. All of you, awesome!

My "scouting" takes place, besides here, at hockey's future.com, elite prospects.com, YouTube, etc. You know the "Google" drill.

Some of you are seeing games, or catching them on TV. I find that very interesting, especially exiled in Florida! Thank you all.

I have 3 lists for you.  It'll take some interaction from you to get to my argument together.

The first list is overage players drafted 2007-2012 or so.  It includes a couple undrafted players.  Essentially it's players that were not drafted at age 17.  I was going for a sabrespace team list, but I couldn't ignore the 'Smith' line, so there are a few too many players. I'm certain there is a mistake or two of players being drafted at 17, then redrafted at say 19, so any error detection would be helpful.

My first question, if you care to play, is why none of these guys were drafted at age 17?

Gustav Nyquist - Tyler Johnson - Ondrej Palat
Mike Hoffman - Jori Lehtera - Carl Hagelin
Wayne Simmonds - Tanner Pearson - Anders Lee
Andrew Shaw - Marcus Kruger - Nick Bonino
Craig Smith - Zack Smith - Ben Smith
Tommy Wingels - TJ Galiardi - Jordon Nolan

Torey Krug - Jason Demers
Matt Martin - Carl Gunnersson
Radko Gudas - Justin Braun
Dalton Prout - Matt Bartkowski

Frederik Andersen
Darcy Kuemper

It was fun going through and trying to figure this list out.  I learned a lot and have a better understanding of the first round of this draft. There are going to be several trades I think but hopefully the mocks around here give people some ideas on what to expect.  Oh and I heard that Jack Eichel kid is a little bit okay.

21)      Buffalo – Evgeny Svechnikov LW

A Russian winger? Sure we could use one of those. In Mother Russia Evgeny scores goals with an impressive shot. This past season he brought the act to the Q where he had 32g in 55 games.  Very clever and creative in the offensive zone the big power winger can force defenders into turn overs and then whip a pass across ice for a teammate.  He really is quite the dangerous offensive weapon.  So why is he sliding? Well his defensive game is wonky.  It isn’t some Russian stereotype that he won’t play defense.  He does play defense and tries really hard but he needs a bunch of coaching to figure this part of his game. With a young group of Russian players already in the locker room or about to be, adding a very talented sniper like Evgeny seems like a smart choice for Buffalo. I wonder about Murray adding a Russian though.

22)      Washington – Thomas Chabot D

Do the caps ever draft defense? Idk, maybe. This guy is a puck moving defender with good offensive instincts.  A lot of people have questions about his defensive game.  His skating is really good but sometimes he misreads the play and ends up out of position. Of course the Caps are an offensive minded team and Chabot is looking like a potential PP QB.  This one is a small gamble. He could be your top pairing guy or end up as your bottom pairing guy.  Good ceiling but bad floor.

23)      Vancouver – Jansen Harkins C

They need to restock the center and some other places.  Harkins is a very good player for them. In some ways he is under the radar but he plays north of Vancouver so they will be very familiar with him.  Good skating with a strong puck protection game he is a playmaker at heart. He plays a solid 200ft game and has worked on faceoffs this year.  This pick will be interesting for Vancouver because they could go a lot of ways but Harkins will be there and gives them a lot of things they lack.  He should be a 2nd line center someday but could go higher.  He had 79pts in 70 games last year so his upcoming junior year will be fun to keep an eye on.  With how smart he is given credit for, could be a great pick at #23.

24)      Toronto – Brandon Carlo D

Big strong defender.  That is the best description of Carlo I could give. The Leafs are in rebuild mode and what better to help the rebuild than a project defender who is Zadorov’s height.  He is solid in the defensive zone but only this year started to really develop his offensive game.  He is physical and will battle. His skating is good. I don’t like him because I think he really lacks a wow factor.  I think the leafs will like him because of his size and ceiling.  He could be a minute eating defender down the road.  With him I would say another year in juniors and then 2 years in the AHL before even a thought of NHL.  He has a ton of raw tools but needs time to grow into his frame.

25)      Winnipeg – Oliver Kylington D

Still there and they could use a slick puck mover. I hate Kylington, there I said it. But let’s discuss his good qualities.  Kylington is an excellent skater with great speed, quickness, agility.  Offensively he can be very savvy with slick passing and a decent shot.  Now defensively he is soft.  He gets pushed off the puck and he gets overwhelmed by physical or bigger forwards. This is why I dislike him.  In today’s NHL you need to be physically able to survive that 6’2” 220lb forward who is trying to put you through the end of the rink.  He just is missing something and I he reminds me of Marc Andre Gragani with better skater.  He don’t pass that there EYE test!  That said he could pan out into a player like Erik Karlsson with really solid offensive play.  Note I am not saying he will be Erik Karlsson but I meant a true offensive defender.

26)      Montreal – Filip Chlapik C

A Plekanec like center at #26, sigh Montreal up. The good parts of his game involve controlling the play in the offensive zone.  He battles for pucks and his strong on his skates.  Montreal should love him because he really does look like Plekanec at times. Seems to understand the defensive sides of things as well.  What really hurts him though is skating.  I feel like the Achilles heel of a lot of guys is their skating. In today’s NHL I think it is vital but I also recognize it can be taught. Personally this is the type of player Montreal needs and he is ranked right around this spot. It’s a match made in heaven.

27)      Anaheim – Jordan Greenway LW

You know what makes Anaheim happy? Big strong wingers for Getzlaf.  He’s 6’5” and had has good skating.  Physically he likes to battle and is quite good at protecting the puck and cycling it around.  Anaheim would love someone like him to be brewing in their prospect pool because he also is defensively responsible. This means he actually can play defense and does. The biggest question mark is why he scores goals so infrequently.  Some believe he passes to often and some think his shot selection is terrible. Either way with the size he brings and ability to protect the puck and play defense, without the scoring he could probably plug into a 3rd line role.  He’s probably 4 years away from seeing NHL ice.

28)      Tampa Bay – Daniel Sprong RW

Close but no cigar.  After coming up short in the Finals I expect this pick to be traded at the draft.  That said if Sprong is still here any team would be lucky to have him.  He is a pure sniper with an excellent wrist shot. Go watch his highlights you will see it. His IQ and skating are very good and help him get into position. His problem is he lacks strength for prolonged board battles down low. The real issue with him is he doesn’t always play defense. He likes looking for that long lead pass and can miss assignments in his own end. He has a ton of upside though. 

29)      Philadelphia – Anthony Beauvillier C/LW

Slick skating C/LW should help us win that cup, or at least that is what Philly hopes.  He has the hockey IQ and passing skills to play center. He has the shot skills and battle to play wing. I think he probably ends up at center.  He’s very smart and can be creative.  No matter the zone this kid is battling and gritty.  He really doesn’t like to lose.  People will question his size at just barely 5’11” but it hasn’t stopped him yet.  With such good skating and stickhandling he should become a top 6 forward in time.  By time I mean 4 years.  Ideally you want him in juniors for 2 years and then the AHL for 2 years.  He just turned 18 last week so he’s very young and there is no need to rush.

30)  Arizona – Brock Boeser C

Hard work in the perfect package.  I really want him to be a Sabre but it didn’t work out that way.  This kid is also a sniper although I think Beauvillier has a few more tools to choose from.  He is 6’1” and is a good skater with good puckhandling skills. Also Boeser is not known for ever taking a night off. Hard to knock off the puck and very gritty, Boeser will battle in all 3 zones. So why is he here?  Well he has great intentions but sometimes in the defensive zone he loses his coverage and reads things wrong. Now in Las Vegas’ I mean Phoenix, I mean Arizona’s case they can let him sit and work on his game for the next 4 years and not worry about it.  Their rebuild will probably be that long.  In the end they may end up with a really solid top 6 forward.

31)  Buffalo - Jacob Larsson D

Hey look a left handed defender from a foreign country, something Buffalo never has. He is 6’2” 190lbs already and has spent some time playing against men in the SHL.  Now his skating is very very good.  He is fast, has agility, with excellence balance. Smart in his own zone he plays a gritty game with solid positioning. He has an excellent first pass out of the zone and can even be a good trailer with his hard low shot.  Sounds like a dream right? Well the issue is his offensive zone stuff.  He isn’t bad but he doesn’t have that offensive skill scouts like to see.  He can pass and shoot fairly well but he sometimes elects to make the easier play in the o-zone instead of being creative.  Now for me I don’t care if he never QB’s the pp.  With a little seasoning he might develop it some.  Larsson is 3 years away and will probably play at least another full season before coming to Rochester.  This is the guy that you want waiting in the wings though during that cup run in 4 years. He’s just solid.

Edited by LGR4GM

4. Toronto Maple Leafs - Noah Hanifin, D, Boston University (NCAA)

This isn't a flashy pick, and I'm sure it won't excite Leaf fans but it's the right pick. They're a ways off of any real success so getting an elite defensive prospect in at the beginning of the rebuild will allow him to grow by the time he's needed. He'll be a minute-eating defenseman. Steady as they come.

Boston College ;)