Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

I think GMTM already has. I fail to see what he might be able to do absent out right releasing players to alter the teams fortunes. Trades seem to be tougher this year or he is overplaying his hand. Enroth has been on fire but I don't think any of the other teams GM's see this as anything but an aberration. I do not want to deal the kids. They will win at home where they can get match up advantages to avoid the shut down lines facing the GEM line. On the road the GEM line will face the top checking line. I believe against the better opponents they will lose. That formula has fair to middling written all over it.

Need to keep the faith that they will come back down to earth.

I'm hoping Murray gets going soon on the trades for prospects or draft picks. I'm not willing to trade the number of wins between finishing last and being the last playoff team for the opportunity to draft McEichel. McEichel is one third of the rebuild plan. I'm concerned about Edmonton though. They may not have to do any trades to out Tank us as they seem to be that bad/disorganized. Tank on! And soon!

Two different points here. I will not speak for Crusader, but I watch hockey because it is a truly wonderful game requiring skill, stamina, creativity and physical exertion at high levels. The fluidity and drama of a well played game is better than any other sport. I get irked by this ridiculous illusion that this team is winning because it has the requisite skill. It doesn't. Not today. The team was positioned to correct that by maximizing its draft position. The current roster has maybe 6 -7 pieces of what it will look like in 3 years. Creating a winning culture for guys like Mitchell Flynn Benoit Weber Foligno is ridiculous. If the true intent of this season was to ice the best product possible, then we would have more current Amerks in the lineup and a different crew of new FA's. Ones who can score. But the admitted purpose of the season from management to even the coach was to rebuild. But until you finish the tear down (jettisoning Foligno, Weber, Stewart et al), procure the new lumber (MCEichel and others) you shouldn't be building anything. A rare set of circumstances presents itself this year in the form of a loaded hand for a very deep draft with two or three franchise (notice I did not say generational) players at the top and strong compliments through the top 10. In light of these circumstances and the structure of the current roster, I fully support the effort to maximize the chances of landing one of those two top players, And before you respond that we don't need them, save it. I have seen both play in person on numerous occasions and they are worth doing what it takes to acquire them. Making a playoff run to exit in the first round or worse, just barely missing them would be negligence of the highest order.

What i always see a waste of ink and paper serving no general purpose.

Eesh, sorry to ruffle your feathers. I can look at shot charts too, and see a lineup depleted of talent, not winning because they're better.

Enjoy, erm, watching your team lose, I guess, and i hope the emotional blow that 2 pts might cause is light enough to handle.

If we didn't have Grigerenko I'd probably want Strome too but I think the Sabres could use more speed down the wings and yes he may be similar to Ennis in stature but compares much closer to Kane as a player and would anyone complain if they had both Kane and Ennis on the team? There is still plenty of size coming with Fashing, Baptiste, Bailey, Armia on the wings with Grigerenko in the middle.

Changed my mind after watching Marner once again - definitely #4 ahead of Strome (with or without Grigerenko in the pipeline).

Over last 23 games he is scoring at a 2.39 PPG clip - McDavid at 2.83 before he was hurt. His skating and vision is exceptional - Patrick Kane 2.0 - book it. And yes not scoring at Kane's clip in his draft year (2.50) but dont forget he wont be 18 till May while Kane was 18 for most of his draft season.

I had a conversation with a scout and he said he is rated higher than anyone in the 2014 draft. It may get to the point where Marner isn't thought of as a consolation prize for those not winning the McEichel derby.

Two different points here. I will not speak for Crusader, but I watch hockey because it is a truly wonderful game requiring skill, stamina, creativity and physical exertion at high levels. The fluidity and drama of a well played game is better than any other sport. I get irked by this ridiculous illusion that this team is winning because it has the requisite skill. It doesn't. Not today. The team was positioned to correct that by maximizing its draft position. The current roster has maybe 6 -7 pieces of what it will look like in 3 years. Creating a winning culture for guys like Mitchell Flynn Benoit Weber Foligno is ridiculous. If the true intent of this season was to ice the best product possible, then we would have more current Amerks in the lineup and a different crew of new FA's. Ones who can score. But the admitted purpose of the season from management to even the coach was to rebuild. But until you finish the tear down (jettisoning Foligno, Weber, Stewart et al), procure the new lumber (MCEichel and others) you shouldn't be building anything. A rare set of circumstances presents itself this year in the form of a loaded hand for a very deep draft with two or three franchise (notice I did not say generational) players at the top and strong compliments through the top 10. In light of these circumstances and the structure of the current roster, I fully support the effort to maximize the chances of landing one of those two top players, And before you respond that we don't need them, save it. I have seen both play in person on numerous occasions and they are worth doing what it takes to acquire them. Making a playoff run to exit in the first round or worse, just barely missing them would be negligence of the highest order.

What i always see a waste of ink and paper serving no general purpose.

I agree with all of this. Lived through the years of craptastic never good enough to truly compete ,just barely good enough to make the playoffs. Hate that shite. I want this team to roll out 4 lines that chew up other teams. I want other teams to try to model themselves after the Sabres. Drafting at the top of the draft this year coupled with shrewd later round drafting, good scouting and development, good hockey trades and ufa signings will get us there. It seems like a tall order and maybe a pipe dream but it can happen.

Edited by bunomatic

One final year of tanking could set us up to be a contender for the next 15 years. Imagine having a center lineup of McEichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, and Grigorenko plus having other guys like Ennis, Foligno, McCormick, and even Hodgson who can play the wing and fill in at center in a pinch.

Add that to our solid young defensive core and we could be solid from top to bottom especially if/when some of our other prospects hit and are able to replace guys like Stafford, Flynn, Mitchell, Hodgson, Meszaros, and Benoit. If even half of just our first and second rounders from recent years pan out we'll be able to waive players in a few years who are "good enough" to play on our 2nd and 3rd lines now. Plus there's always the chance of getting some of our lower round picks hitting as well.

Edited by Drunkard

Eesh, sorry to ruffle your feathers. I can look at shot charts too, and see a lineup depleted of talent, not winning because they're better.

Enjoy, erm, watching your team lose, I guess, and i hope the emotional blow that 2 pts might cause is light enough to handle.

No worries. I don't define my self worth by the wins or losses of the teams I follow. I am however discriminating in what I choose to consume whether it is sustenance or entertainment. You may wish to think this team is more talented than Tampa or LA so be it. But as comprised today would you be confident that the Sabres could take 4 of 7 in a 12 day span? I am not. They are not talented enough. We can remedy that with at least one franchise player from the very top of this coming draft.

The idea that we can buy that type of player in fa or acquire one through trade ignores the reality of the cap and its limitations.

One can believe anything they wish, but that doesn't necessarily make that belief a fact. Only a a tenet of the one who believes it n

Edited by 3putt

Changed my mind after watching Marner once again - definitely #4 ahead of Strome (with or without Grigerenko in the pipeline).

Over last 23 games he is scoring at a 2.39 PPG clip - McDavid at 2.83 before he was hurt. His skating and vision is exceptional - Patrick Kane 2.0 - book it. And yes not scoring at Kane's clip in his draft year (2.50) but dont forget he wont be 18 till May while Kane was 18 for most of his draft season.

I had a conversation with a scout and he said he is rated higher than anyone in the 2014 draft. It may get to the point where Marner isn't thought of as a consolation prize for those not winning the McEichel derby.

It's cute how everyone still assumes the Sabres will finish with a top 5 pick.

We're back to making a glorious run to 9th place this year.

No worries. I don't define my self worth by the wins or losses of the teams I follow. I am however discriminating in what I choose to consume whether it is sustenance or entertainment. You may wish to think this team is more talented than Tampa or LA so be it. But as comprised today would you be confident that the Sabres could take 4 of 7 in a 12 day span? I am not. They are not talented enough. We can remedy that with at least one franchise player from the very top of this coming draft.

The idea that we can buy that type of player in fa or acquire one through trade ignores the reality of the cap and its limitations.

One can believe anything they wish, but that doesn't necessarily make that belief a fact. Only a a tenet of the one who believes it n

I think we're more talented that Tampa and LA? after my last post said i know we are talent depleted and that's not why we're winning? ok. sure.

No, I don't think we can do that. I'm just not ill when my team wins. If my hockey team wins a game and makes me ill, I'm not going to watch hockey much longer. that's all i was saying, man.

We're not getting McEichel. and we are still going to have a good team someday soon, and hopefully one that can contend. I'm just not going to let that make me ill, is all.

It's cute how everyone still assumes the Sabres will finish with a top 5 pick.

We're back to making a glorious run to 9th place this year.

I hope not but by the way the coaches and Enroth is playing we might and I said might play ourselves out of a top 5 pick. I told everybody before watch out for Arizona to be contending for McDavid because they lack offense and right now with all the talk of Yandle being moved they could finish right at the bottom with Edmonton. I agree with others u draft either McDavid and Eichel with a strong draft this year and all the prospects from previous drafts u should be contending for a long time. Don't ###### this up Buffalo.

One question I have is what to do with both current goalies with all the ones we currently have in the system.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Something doesn't quite add up here.

I hope not but by the way the coaches and Enroth is playing we might and I said might play ourselves out of a top 5 pick. I told everybody before watch out for Arizona to be contending for McDavid because they lack offense and right now with all the talk of Yandle being moved they could finish right at the bottom with Edmonton. I agree with others u draft either McDavid and Eichel with a strong draft this year and all the prospects from previous drafts u should be contending for a long time. Don't ###### this up Buffalo.

One question I have is what to do with both current goalies with all the ones we currently have in the system.

Trade one, sign the other.

The problem is picking one. A month ago it was obvious that Neuvirth is the one that stepped up and won the job. Right now it's obviously Enroth.

Maybe we trade the hotter goalie to maximize our return and hope the other one steps up.

One of the beautiful things about our current kids is that they are a heavy bunch

With Deslauriers, Girgensons, Fasching, Foligno, Zadorov, Ristolainen etc. we don't need to worry so much about how big our top pick is, just how skilled.

Why can't Marner/Reinhart/Zemgus/Risto/Nikita be Kane/Toews/Sharp/Keith/Seabrook?

Where are you getting that in this thread?

There are some weird things going on in this forum with there being a tank side and non tank side and a bunch of goofiness. Following this team does weird things to people :w00t:

This is like soldiers who still think the war in Vietnam is going on, except that there was no war, and there are no soldiers

This team wishes I spent even 1/10 of the thinkins I spend on girls. Maybe when they're in the playoffs again, or when I'm less pathetic in general.

Heck, I'm thinkin' of a girl right this minute.

But somehow those stockings, garters, and heels were replaced by Sabre pants and long johns. Right in mid-fantasy, too!

PA is right, this team is in the very core of my psyche. And I thought it was way too crowded in there already.

GO SABRES!!!