Warren, Brendan C Team USA 2G 1A

Greenway, Jordan LW Team USA 1G 1A

Bracco, Jeremy RW Team USA 0G 2A

Team USA defeats Muskegon 9-3

HockeyAllsvenskan

Kylington, Oliver D AIK 1G 1A in 4-3 Shoot-out loss to Bjorkloven

SuperElit

Ahi, Filip LW HV-71 0G 2A in 4-3 win over Orebro

I'm coming around to Mike Schopp's idea of giving the top pick to the Cup champion. Reward excellence, not being bad, then lucky.

Yeah, people say that now out of a sense of self-loathing. No one was saying this when Indianapolis was tanking for Andrew Luck.

I'm coming around to Mike Schopp's idea of giving the top pick to the Cup champion. Reward excellence, not being bad, then lucky.

That'll be great for league parity. LA and Chicago can just challenge each other for the Cup from now until eternity with just a handful of other teams in the mix from year to year.

Perfect response.

Not really. I have no idea who Andrew Luck is. Was he Bush's Chief of Staff?

That'll be great for league parity. LA and Chicago can just challenge each other for the Cup from now until eternity with just a handful of other teams in the mix from year to year.

Parity schmarity.

Giving the top pick to the best team makes so little sense. Why make the rich richer? How does the league benefit at all?

Republicans somehow sell trickle down economics to the masses so if anybody can sell that nonsense (giving the Cup Champion top pick every year) they would be the people to look to.

Republicans somehow sell trickle down economics to the masses so if anybody can sell that nonsense (giving the Cup Champion top pick every year) they would be the people to look to.

Exactly. the Kings/Blackhawks/Bruins will have to cut/trade someone to make room for the new #1 draft pick, and the other teams can compete to sign that player!

In all seriousness, people are worried about the integrity of the game. Having teams that are perpetually at the bottom of the league picking #27-30 each year will really foster integrity and good competition. It'll be more like College Football where all the games, especially the early season ones, are interesting.

No.

Yup.

Giving the top pick to the best team makes so little sense. Why make the rich richer? How does the league benefit at all?

Because Buffalo fans need something else to bitch about. Other teams have sucked and gotten good players, just because Buffalo systematically gutted a mediocre team doesn't mean we aren't entitled to have the same chances as these other teams did at getting Stamkos/Toews/Kane/Crosby etc...

Exactly. the Kings/Blackhawks/Bruins will have to cut/trade someone to make room for the new #1 draft pick, and the other teams can compete to sign that player!

In all seriousness, people are worried about the integrity of the game. Having teams that are perpetually at the bottom of the league picking #27-30 each year will really foster integrity and good competition. It'll be more like College Football where all the games, especially the early season ones, are interesting.

A prime example is college football. Alabama started to win and now they win all the time because the typically are able to get the best players because they want to play for a winner. FSU's recruiting class went up after they won. Oh and yes I understand there is no College Football draft but these teams getting the best players all the time keep them at the top and that is what would happen in hockey. Personally I think it is much more entertaining to know a team on any given night could win. I don't need to watch FSU v. Syracuse 50 times a year.

In the NHL teams like Edm or Florida would fold within 5 years because they would become so bad no one would watch them.

No.

Yup.

Because Buffalo fans need something else to bitch about. Other teams have sucked and gotten good players, just because Buffalo systematically gutted a mediocre team doesn't mean we aren't entitled to have the same chances as these other teams did at getting Stamkos/Toews/Kane/Crosby etc...

A prime example is college football. Alabama started to win and now they win all the time because the typically are able to get the best players because they want to play for a winner. FSU's recruiting class went up after they won. Oh and yes I understand there is no College Football draft but these teams getting the best players all the time keep them at the top and that is what would happen in hockey. Personally I think it is much more entertaining to know a team on any given night could win. I don't need to watch FSU v. Syracuse 50 times a year.

In the NHL teams like Edm or Florida would fold within 5 years because they would become so bad no one would watch them.

Not edmonton. Oilpatch. Oodles of corporate moolah from big oil. Oodles of working stiffs making oodles of oil money hand over fist. Stupid people making stupid money. Every 20 something driving 70 thousand dollar monster truck with 50 grand more in upgrades. I could go on but ...

I'm not following the logic, except apparently you've totally bought into the idea that the Sabres will never be good again unless they get Connor McDavid.

No and if you had actually paid attention to what I have said I personally don't care if we finish last or 8th last this season. If the draft order (which was what we were discussing, not McDavid) were changed so the top team got the top player than within a few seasons the only way to get high end talent on your team would be UFA. We have had lengthy discussions on UFA and Buffalo. So that would mean that if you were in 30th drafting the 30th worse player every draft you would be perpetually in the bottom unless some luck fell your way. Watching the Sabres then in a continual state of crap for year after year after year without even the slightest hope of getting a top player would ultimately make people lose interest. Not to mention what it would do to the trade market. Top teams would just keep their #1 picks because why trade away a sure fire star.

I know the original was just you tossing something out there but it would kill the NHL if the #1 team got the #1 pick. I don't want my NHL to look like Basketball where there are 5 good teams year in and year out and everyone else is irrelevant.

Yeesh. I try not to think about that. :(

Regarding Strome, if you check out the Otters' highlights or just the box scores, it's sticks out how many PP goals are collaborations between him and McDavid. Then there's the checking line part. Then there's the part where he's suddenly the centerpiece for his team for the first time in the CHL.

If his game doesn't fall off or, better yet, if he can step up, maybe he can make himself the no.4 overall pick this year. I want to believe.

Dylan Strome update:

Friday night: 1 goal, 3 assists

Saturday night: 2 goals

McDavid went down on November 11th. Since then: 5 games, 6 goals, 4 assists. Very impressive.

Marner and Strome have been great this month and are making me less terrified with potentially landing in the dreaded no.4/5 spot this year. Of course, then there's that 6th overall pick in my signature...

All that said, let's go ahead and get back to tanking now, OK?

I think one of the best things that has happened for Strome is McDavid's absence. We are now learning what was Strome being talented and what was Strome playing with McDavid. So far Strome's play hasn't surprised me more the consistency of his scoring has. Dylan Strome is currently listed at 6'2" 180lbs. He will probably not jump to the NHL next year but take a year to build up muscle and strength.

Due to our recent winning streak let's take a look at the top 10 ranked players according to ISS November Rankings: Outside of Hanifin, I excluded defenders. I expect these rankings to change for December somewhat dramatically.

1) Connor Mcdavid - 18games, 16g, 35a, 51pts

2) Jack Eichel - 10games, 7g, 12a, 19pts

3) Noah Hanifin - 12games, 2g, 5a, 7pts

4) Matthew Barzal - 16games, 7g, 11a, 18pts

5) Dylan Strome - 23games, 19g, 32a, 51pts

6) Pavel Zacha - 19games, 7g, 10a, 17pts

7) Lawson Crouse - 21games, 9g, 4a, 13pts

8) Travis Konecny - 20games, 5g, 12a, 17pts

9) Kyle Connor - 16games, 7g, 11a, 18pts

10) Mitch Marner - 23games, 21g, 23a, 44pts

Edited by LGR4GM

Are those your rankings or ISIS? A little confused.

I don't know what is confusing about saying ISS November rankings. Guess I needed to spell out International Scouting Services.

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

Remember I excluded defenders after Hanafin (because Hanafin will be taken 3rd or 4th so he needed a listing).