Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

It's cute how everyone still assumes the Sabres will finish with a top 5 pick.

We're back to making a glorious run to 9th place this year.

Ristolainen is a 8th place pick...

I'm sorry you guys are right. There are no good players outside of the top 5, especially in this draft. Never happens.

I'm kind of hoping that Murray dangles the pick if we're not in th top five. Sure, you can get good players after that (nobody ever said that Liger, prick). But we have to start pairing the solid young talent with solid veteran talent if we're not in position to draft elite young talent.

Ristolainen is a 8th place pick...

I'm sorry you guys are right. There are no good players outside of the top 5, especially in this draft. Never happens.

But there's no way we fall to eight, right? :)

(in all seriousness, the McEichel or Bust contingent isn't going to be convinced that any top 10 player is going to help this team. The shiny object(s) this year are too ridiculously shiny to notice the other good players.)

I'm kind of hoping that Murray dangles the pick if we're not in th top five. Sure, you can get good players after that (nobody ever said that Liger, prick). But we have to start pairing the solid young talent with solid veteran talent if we're not in position to draft elite young talent.

Several posters have said or insinuated exactly that.

But there's no way we fall to eight, right? :)

(in all seriousness, the McEichel or Bust contingent isn't going to be convinced that any top 10 player is going to help this team. The shiny object(s) this year are too ridiculously shiny to notice the other good players.)

Well if you stare into the sun long enough you become blinded to all else that moves.

This philosophy would have prevented us from getting... Grigorenko, Zemgus, Nikita, Ristolainen, and Reinhart. All of which were not considered "elite". But what do I know? I am just a prick who doesn't read draft profiles, scower the internet for highlights and memorize 3-4 separate draft rankings each year.

Edited by LGR4GM

Ok so who is 3rd best player in the draft

Right now, Noah Hanafin

4th is Strome, 5th is Barzal or some may say Werenski. 7 is Marner, 8th is is Kylington, 9th Crouse, 10th Zacha.

Oh if you meant last years draft, Samson and Sam were 2/3 interchangeably. I think that Edmonton was stupid taking Draisaitl at 3.

Anyone not named McDavid or Eichel. Let the arguments begin

It's Strome by a decent margin right after them. Then you're looking at a third tier of Barzal, Marner and a few others. Guys like Zacha drawing a wide range of opinions. Most starting to respect Marner.

You're right. Everyone is stupid, especially the imaginary people saying the things that none of the actual posters in this thread are saying. :doh:

Riiiiiiggggghhhhttt. No one in this thread has ever said anything close to this... even though they have and even though people have argued that the Sabres have to get McDavid or Eichel to win a cup or the tank was for nothing and we will just be mediocre yet again. :wallbash:

People have argued that now for months. It isn't true. It's a ###### stupid idea and it shows that most people don't know enough about our prospect pool or the depths of this draft or the history of drafts to understand that you don't have to finish dead last. People simply fear the unknown that not finishing dead last would bring. Personally I have faith in Tim Murray and Kevin Devine to draft contributors after pick #1 or #2.

Edited by LGR4GM

Riiiiiiggggghhhhttt. No one in this thread has ever said anything close to this... even though they have and even though people have argued that the Sabres have to get McDavid or Eichel to win a cup or the tank was for nothing and we will just be mediocre yet again. :wallbash:

People have argued that now for months. It isn't true. It's a ###### stupid idea and it shows that most people don't know enough about our prospect pool or the depths of this draft or the history of drafts to understand that you don't have to finish dead last. People simply fear the unknown that not finishing dead last would bring. Personally I have faith in Tim Murray and Kevin Devine to draft contributors after pick #1 or #2.

Who has said the part in bold?

Also, I've seen people say missing McEichel would be disappointing, but I haven't seen anyone say the tank would have all been for nothing.

"We're never going to win the Stanley Cup unless we land Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel in next year's draft."

Who is saying that? Does anyone reading the above right now agree with that?

There have been plenty of posts saying "I'm sick of perpetual mediocrity which is why we need these two" that clearly imply without them we will continue to make endless runs at eighth and not be a contender.

I disagree that anyone thinks McDavid is essential to winning the cup. But if you are admittedly rebuilding, through the draft also admitted, why wouldn't you do whatever you can to maximize the odds of the greatest return? If the gm wanted to turn things around and make a run he could have traded all our prospects and picks last year to make a run to the last playoff spot. He didn't acknowledging that was not the goal. So Liger your argument that people are stupid because they can't see that there are other potential talents misses the point. That exists every year. In this year, do what you can to maximize your chances at the top and if it doesn't happen, then go from there. What irks me is that the argument about a winning culture is worth the talent trade off. I don't think a culture exists beyond any given group of people at any point in time. Edmonton could easily change there culture by holding everyone accountable. Trade some players for others. You can change your make up and style if willing to do so. You have to know what you want to be first. GMTM has said heavy and skilled is his preference. What also is ignored is that many of our prospects will be dealt. We will not have enough contracts to go around. So pro tankers like myself aren't ignoring the other players or stepping off the ledge if we don't get McEichle, we, rather I, am puzzled at why we should celebrate more valiant mediocrity. Wasn't that why they blew it up to begin with.