World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

Success you've fallen ass backwards into is the best kind of success!

nonsense. The US Team finished with the exact same record as the Portuguese, but performed better against the Germans. They fell backwards into nothing. They earned it with solid defense against a team that had averaged 3 goals per game and set the record this cycle with 15 consecutive competitive match wins.

And CRC should get through at least to the quarters. I hope we'll ,move up to 4 or 4.5 berths.

Realistically, we have 4 spots anyway, since Oceania isn't going to produce a serious team any time soon.

nonsense. The US Team finished with the exact same record as the Portuguese, but performed better against the Germans. They fell backwards into nothing. They earned it with solid defense against a team that had averaged 3 goals per game and set the record this cycle with 15 consecutive competitive match wins.

To my untrained eye, we've been the worst team in each of the games we've played.

this is madness. why not look to goal differential in qualifying games? something merit based.

They qualify from different regions, and the qualifying tournaments are far from standardized from one region to another. It's a short tournament, it can't be perfect. Even the NFL has a coin flip as its last tiebreaker option.

It would be nice, in an instance where two teams facing a coin flip play each other and draw the third game, to see extra time followed by PKs.

To my untrained eye, we've been the worst team in each of the games we've played.

Not the Portugal game.

They qualify from different regions, and the qualifying tournaments are far from standardized from one region to another. It's a short tournament, it can't be perfect. Even the NFL has a coin flip as its last tiebreaker option.

I hear you. The coin toss is just a killer is all.

My wifi is spotty at best up in gdansk, the world cup is definitely much bigger here than in the states, it's been great sitting outdoors in the city squares, enjoy some zywiec and watching with really die hard fans..... It's also nice with our dollar being worth 3x as much, I don't wanna come home next week.

I'm surprised the US got through to be honest, I'll try to keep optimism up, but I doubt we win in the knockout round at all, cheers!!!

Maybe my nationalistic pride is getting the better of me, but I see them beating Ghana 2 nil, scoreless draw with Portugal, losing to Germany 1 nil and advancing on tie breaker. Beating Russia in the round of 16 and losing to Argentina in the round of eight.

USA! USA! USA!

I was a little off on the goals, and Russia disappointed me, but for the most part I nailed it. I think we beat Belgium 2-0 before being dominated by Argentina.

Bradley's touches seemed suspect that match, cost a few offensive opportunities and made a few defensive ones scarier than they needed to be...with that said GO USA!

Red card against Belgium, our R16 opponents might not be set in stone

No worries we player our B Team last game :P

We outplayed Portugal, I think most would agree.

YOU'RE GOING DOWN HEIMDALL

Watch out for Origi :P

My wifi is spotty at best up in gdansk, the world cup is definitely much bigger here than in the states, it's been great sitting outdoors in the city squares, enjoy some zywiec and watching with really die hard fans..... It's also nice with our dollar being worth 3x as much, I don't wanna come home next week.

I'm surprised the US got through to be honest, I'll try to keep optimism up, but I doubt we win in the knockout round at all, cheers!!!

Zywiec = :sick:

Tyskie = :sick:

Guest Sloth

To be honest , don't think we'll win, we played a ###### tournament in an easy group.

U.S. is easily the underdog. Had hoped, even though the chances were next to none, the U.S. would end up playing Algeria. Belgium will be tough. America will have to go w/ an aggressive, risks taking style of play. Going w/ a conservative game plan will not work. It's all or nothing. Best of luck to both countries.

Edited by thanes16

U.S. is easily the underdog. Had hoped, even though the chances were next to none, the U.S. would end up playing Algeria. Belgium will be tough. America will have to go w/ an aggressive, risks taking style of play. Going w/ a conservative game plan will not work. It's all or nothing. Best of luck to both countries.

Belgium are a talented squad, but they have been playing some terrible football right now, I was expecting much more from them, I have watched all 3 of their games……..The US does have a chance in this game…..I Johnson can lock down Hazard, then it will be a tight match.

If Joe (sp?) could have gotten his cleats up a little higher, luck wouldn't have been a factor at that point.

I've only been watching since about 75 minutes, and I've spent a lot of time with my eyes on this screen rather than the TV, so I don't get the reference--what happened?