Semifinals Thread

Eleven

I like visiting NY, but definitely not the type of place I'd like to settle down in. DC, on the other hand, I absolutely love and it's at the top of my relocation list.

To each his own, of course, but I would advise spending some real time in DC before settling there. While there are some good things about it -- great museums, good universities, the monuments and a good local economy -- there are many more major problems. There is no local art, music or culture. The food is terrible. Race relations are poor. The crime rate is high, as are taxes and costs of living. City services are terrible. The winters are mild but the summers are putrid. Public transportation is so-so and traffic is awful. There is good green space in the city center because of the Mall and the monuments, but there are very few city parks. And the people have been aptly (IMHO) described as "a city full of class presidents."

I've spent lots of time in NYC and DC and neither comes close to Chicago IMHO. I don't mind NYC for short trips, and I could live in DC, but if given the chance to live in any US major city (without taking into account the cost of living), Chicago would easily be my #1 choice.

Chicago is OK, IMHO, but just OK.

Good point on the food, Freeman. My cousins live in Park Slope right off 5th ave and the sheer amount of delicious restaurants in a 1 mile radius is mind blowing. You can get food from a different part of the world every day of the week. Last night I made the mistake of getting a sushi roll at a local restaurant while memories of the Manhattan sushi lounge were fresh on my taste buds. Not. Even. Close.

And we're still making our way through the 2 dozen bagels we brought back.

I don't live too far from your cousins.

Chicago is NYC and Buffalo put in a blender.

NY is nice....the biggest thing is you have everything you need within 3 blocks. So many choices.

I prefer Toronto. It is a sanitized NYC. You can also live in a relative suburb for a decent price and not have a 90 minute commute. All the cultures, plenty of arts, and tons of pockets of Elmwood/Village areas.

I have family in Toronto and have spent a ton of time there. I like it, and I agree with much of what you say above, but I don't love it. Too much sprawl. And the houses -- even in the relative suburbs -- are all on ridiculously small lots.

OTOH, I really like Montreal.

11 basically summed up my feelings about NYC. Terrible attitudes, and utterly dirty. You would think the most famous city in the world would want to take more pride in its appearance. Tokyo, Miami, Toronto, Paris, etc are all vastly cleaner cities.

Also, the commuting. Got stuck sleeping in Grand Central Station once, because they couldn't figure their bus schedules out, and couldn't even tell us what time it was coming.

Another time, leaving a concert on Governors Island, couldn't get train tickets because not only were the automated booths not accepting credit or cash (only coins), but the ticket booth was closed. Created a nice scenario for around 50,000 people all trying to leave at once. No cabs could even be found, and no stores were open. I ended up trading a homeless man some cash for some change. Have never been back, and never will.

There are great options for food, cool historic sites, but its not worth the hassle, nor the atrocious prices for everything.

Some of what you say here is fair. There are a ton of hassles here and a lot of things are expensive (and the things tourists tend to come into contact with are generally expensive).

As for the litter, I think it's mostly a function of population density. I think the city does a good job of cleaning up in the morning, but there is a percentage of people that litter, so by the end of the day there is always too much of it.

Not sure what you're getting at with Governor's Island, as there are no trains or cabs on that island, or with Grand Central, as it is a train station, not a bus station.

In any case, to each his own.

I'm watching. That save by Lundqvuist was absolutely absurd, looks like he's determined to make last game an abiration. Side note: I think this is a must win game for the Rangers, if they let Montreal back in the series and play a game 7 In the Bell Centre I think they'll be hard pressed to make it to the Finals.

He looks great tonight. IMHO, that's why he is such a frustrating player. He'll sleepwalk through entire games with little-to-no effort, then will dominate others.

He relies upon certain situations (being in front of the net is a big one). If they don't occur, he doesn't hit the score sheet. I never have seen him take a shift off.

He relies upon certain situations (being in front of the net is a big one). If they don't occur, he doesn't hit the score sheet. I never have seen him take a shift off.

A week ago he got publicly called out by his coach for lack of effort. Got demoted to the 4th line too.

The Boston series is showing up in the Hab's game; they're worn out.

Anyone think the Rangers can beat the Kings or Hawks? (I sure don't)

I think they could beat either at this point, although that wouldn't be my bet if I were forced to make one.

Both NY and LA have a lot of character guys and are both pretty quick; it would make a great finals.

Tokarski has a future in the NHL....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.