James Patrick

DonInBuffalo

I grew up in a small town south of Rochester next to Conesus Lake and I know what you guys (and gals) are talking about. My mom is a raging alcoholic (flunked out of AA) and my father doesn't drink nearly as much, but it completely screwed up me and my sister's childhood up. I am not the only one. My best friend to this day from out that way had a step father who would get loaded every night on Wild Turkey and Genny and sit on the front porch of his trailer with a .44 Magnum and shoot beer cans for target practice off of the fence across the road.

There is binge drinking everywhere, even out here in Albany. I think ink will have a much easier time committing to moderation than total abstinence.

He shouldn't put himself in situations where he has always drank a lot either, that kills it right there, just like smoking (coming from an ex smoker.) Change routine as well. Alcohol is not a bad thing, unless it takes over your life. But if you are making changes in your life based on getting the next sip, that is something you should really think about...

Haven't had a drop since the last post and I feel like a million bucks. Mother's Day brunch wasn't the "just try not to puke" ordeal it would have been.

I feel like things really came to a head St Patricks Day. I started hiding my drinking from my wife. Well, I had made attempts like that in the past but now I was all aboard. My wife was working and I was helping my brother move. I managed to not drink durin the move but pushed that my family all meet up after and "celebrate". That wasn't too bad. Went to a couple of bars had 5-6 beers and got home before the wife had any knowledge. Then the real depravity started. I had to run some errands but didn't want to stop drinking. So I loaded up the flask and proceeded to drink during all my errands. The least of which was to get a new coffee table as I had donated our old one to my bro. As I'm leaving the store half cocked with the table precariously set on top o a shopping cart, as my drunk ass thought that seemed logical, the table topples off the cart and smashes on the ground scuffing it all to hell.

So when I get home, I tell the wife I got a discount due to the scuffing and would fix it up (which I did). I then proceed, unbeknownst to her, to pour rum into my coke all night. She could tell I wasn't right but I kept insisting I wasn't drinking.

I just had a beer for at lunch. I enjoy having a beer here or there as a drink. I am not a big fan of being drunk. I think it takes maturity for some people to reach that conclusion.

So when I get home, I tell the wife I got a discount due to the scuffing and would fix it up (which I did). I then proceed, unbeknownst to her, to pour rum into my coke all night. She could tell I wasn't right but I kept insisting I wasn't drinking.

that is kinda funny. after my fiancee and I broke up I did almost the same thing. My buddy thought I needed to drink more beer but didnt know I was drinking rum and coke for 3 hours before dinner. Ahhh youth.

WNY really is an anomaly. In the rest of the country drinking 8-10 beers in a relaxed evening isn't considered normal.

In some places, yes, that isn't considered normal. (And be cause I grew up in WNY, I consider them not normal, those teatotaling weirdos). But there are lots of places where it's completely normal. Example: Wisconsin. #1 in DUI (###### yeah!).

Great Lakes cities are hard drinkin', hard livin' towns, but it extends beyond the lakes into the upper midwest. The Dakotas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc all lead in binge drinking studies.

Haven't had a drop since the last post and I feel like a million bucks. Mother's Day brunch wasn't the "just try not to puke" ordeal it would have been.

I feel like things really came to a head St Patricks Day. I started hiding my drinking from my wife. Well, I had made attempts like that in the past but now I was all aboard. My wife was working and I was helping my brother move. I managed to not drink durin the move but pushed that my family all meet up after and "celebrate". That wasn't too bad. Went to a couple of bars had 5-6 beers and got home before the wife had any knowledge. Then the real depravity started. I had to run some errands but didn't want to stop drinking. So I loaded up the flask and proceeded to drink during all my errands. The least of which was to get a new coffee table as I had donated our old one to my bro. As I'm leaving the store half cocked with the table precariously set on top o a shopping cart, as my drunk ass thought that seemed logical, the table topples off the cart and smashes on the ground scuffing it all to hell.

Cool beans.

I just had a weekend I'm not proud of. I need to get to know Sandy again.

In some places, yes, that isn't considered normal. (And be cause I grew up in WNY, I consider them not normal, those teatotaling weirdos). But there are lots of places where it's completely normal. Example: Wisconsin. #1 in DUI (###### yeah!).

Great Lakes cities are hard drinkin', hard livin' towns, but it extends beyond the lakes into the upper midwest. The Dakotas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc all lead in binge drinking studies.

IIRC, it's prevalent in northern climes worldwide.

Oy. That is some sh!t right there.

I'm hoping you can pull off the rollback to moderation, but the combo of hiding the drinking and the amount of drinking that was going on is one that gives me pause.

Just be as honest with yourself as you possibly can be -- that usually puts you in the right place, or at least on the right path.

It seems like every adult function I'm involved in revolves around booze. I'm sure that has something to do with the company I keep but it's gotten to the point where I have to stop attending normal people activities because everyone is boozing up and I just don't want it. Golf, weddings, kids bday parties, family events, any sporting event, fantasy football drafts and those are just when I leave the house.

With all due respect, and I do understand it's a problem for people, but, if you don't want it, DON'T DRINK IT. This is all mental, you're playing a game with yourself. It is your life you live; you don't live for other people, f*ck them if they think you should be drinking...but, I have to doubt that they mean it the way you take it. I might have a beer or two in a week, and that's because I like having a beer with a meal sometimes. I may have a glass of wine once in a month or two. But I can not stand drinking more than one or two of anything in a night, and especially that amount several nights or days in a row. The point is, people I know do not expect me to drink booze when we're out, and, in fact, they do what I suspect your people do to you in opposite: they chide me when I DO have a drink. It's expectations.

If your peeps expect you to be drinking and you aren't, they'll chide you. Get them to expect you not to drink...get them to ride your ass when you DO drink if the social part is too hard to resist (and, again, that is understandable). Your friends and comrades, they should help you, and most will if you ask. Just say, "hey, I'm trying to cut back, I'm getting old, I guess, help me out by watching my back...". Anyone worth hanging out with will be totally cool with that.

Edited by sizzlemeister

This thread's taken a strange, and I will say sort of wonderful, turn. The idea of booze being a devil that some of us cannot control, some of us at certain times and others of us more in general, is prompting me to reflect on one of my very favorite songwriters who died last year at the age of 40--cause of death was basically complications from drinking (the sort that Amerk and d4rk reference above).

Guy's name was Jason Molina. If you love authentic music that is of America (I'll resist terms like Americana, roots, etc.), you will love (and mourn the passing of) Mr. Molina (and his Magnolia Electric Co.):

One last thing, the icing on the cake, cherry on top, tassels on titties coup de grace, I make booze for a living. Not only make it but have to drink it (ok so we are supposed to expectorate it) but you get my point. It's all very full circley.

One last thing, the icing on the cake, cherry on top, tassels on titties coup de grace, I make booze for a living. Not only make it but have to drink it (ok so we are supposed to expectorate it) but you get my point. It's all very full circley.

I thought you guys made spaghetti sauce. No wonders that stuff is so good! ;)

First night of beers since my last post. Went out for dinner with the wife, two Sam Summer Ales then two home brews after arriving at the domicile. Normally these nights turn into a 8-10 beer drunken fiasco. Felt good. Took a little nap and returned to normal life. Not the memory less stupor that I told myself I enjoyed. A good night all around.

Now onto Memorial Day, hosting a get together for my parents and the in laws. Booze will be flowing.

First night of beers since my last post. Went out for dinner with the wife, two Sam Summer Ales then two home brews after arriving at the domicile. Normally these nights turn into a 8-10 beer drunken fiasco. Felt good. Took a little nap and returned to normal life. Not the memory less stupor that I told myself I enjoyed. A good night all around.

Now onto Memorial Day, hosting a get together for my parents and the in laws. Booze will be flowing.

Progress. Just remember:

I thought it was when you vomit inside of a dead persons chest cavity.

No brown outs that night, fully remember and proudly stand behind my actions lol..... I've been taking it easy lately tho, when I go to Poland next month tho, there will be black and brown outs occurring daily

No brown outs that night, fully remember and proudly stand behind my actions lol..... I've been taking it easy lately tho, when I go to Poland next month tho, there will be black and brown outs occurring daily

That one post completely destroyed anyone else's college drinking story and ended a would be good thread.

That one post completely destroyed anyone else's college drinking story and ended a would be good thread.

There were plenty of many wonderful stories that were posted after mine lol, I'm sure if we could speak to other medical students /practitioners on this board there'd be stories that would make mine look like amateur hour ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.