Nolan's coaching staff finalized: Bryan Trottier, Danny Flynn, Tom Coolen and Arturs Irbe

26CornerBlitz

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this is getting ridiculous.

Prospect camp is underway and we don't have any assistant coaches.

Is Teddy planning to run things by himself?

Truthfully, anybody posting here could be an assistant coach next year. We have one more year to be horrible, then we worry about structure and such. I still think that the Nolan hiring was one meant to bridge the gap of the tank. Let him motivate and build a culture, then bring in someone who can mold that with X's and O's.

• 2 weeks later...

The continued search for asst. coaches is really puzzling. Does Nolan have a not so good reputation among his coaching brethren? The excuse that they are waiting for some coaches to finish their season is gone. Certainly money is not an issue with Daddy Warbucks at the helm. So what else could it be?

I know Ted has it in him to get the most out of mediocre vets, but I really hope he can get the kids on the road to development. If not, they need to keep a close eye on both him and the youngsters.

Edited by LabattBlue

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Coolen and Arturs Irbe added to coaching staff.

Coolen was Nolan's assistant with the Latvian team.

The team also announced that Mark Jakubowski has been named assistant general manager, serving under club general manager Tim Murray.

Jakubowski, entering his 10th year with the Sabres, spent the past six years as the assistant to the general manager and also served as director of hockey administration for one year. His responsibilities include salary cap analysis, contract research relating to player negotiations and arbitrations, managing player transfers, team roster administration, and all matters relating to compliance with the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement and other NHL agreements. Jakubowski also assists with the American Hockey League hockey operations of the team’s minor league affiliate, the Rochester Americans.

Edited by Spndnchz

So: 4 assistants and not a single one of them has been in the NHL in the last few years?

This doesn't seem prudent.

"You guys can't be blowing past the red line when the puck is in your end. How in the hell is anyone going to pass to you there, it'd be a two-liner!"

"You guys can't be blowing past the red line when the puck is in your end. How in the hell is anyone going to pass to you there, it'd be a two-liner!"

Nobody wants Ovechkin anyway.

So: 4 assistants and not a single one of them has been in the NHL in the last few years?

This doesn't seem prudent.

Nolan's choices (and that's what they are, PA (or may I call you 'short leash?')) are curious ones. Dare I say these choices belong in the ZFG thread? I do dare say.

Others have said it: this staff may be equipped to effect the culture change that has been widely discussed and desired. I'm not so sure. It could be tough to change culture when you're getting out X and O'd most nights.

The subject of culture change also brings to mind for me an interview that Reed did over the HOF weekend with Murphy. It was the most specific thing I've heard about 'culture change' in a pro sports locker room -- Reed flat-out said that the Bills' culture changed when they became the 'bickering Bills' and guys on the team were prepared to have fist fights (not that training camp tussle stuff) over someone's lack of commitment.

And while I'm wary of false idols, that comment also prompted me to think of the way in which Drury shut off the locker room stereo, death stared guys into the weight room after a practice, and had many players change their diets on game day.

The difference between winning and losing in pro sports can be rather impolite, it seems.

IMO, these guys(including Nolan) are nothing more than 1-2 year placeholders. If they do nothing to damage prospect development over the next year or two, I will be happy.

I could be wrong, but I don't see Nolan being here when this team makes it back to the playoffs.

And while I'm wary of false idols, that comment also prompted me to think of the way in which Drury shut off the locker room stereo, death stared guys into the weight room after a practice, and had many players change their diets on game day.

I could easily picture Girgensons playing that role. He plays a pretty intense game, I can see him calling out teammates (including veterans) in the locker room.

I could easily picture Girgensons playing that role. He plays a pretty intense game, I can see him calling out teammates (including veterans) in the locker room.

"Now listen, if you don't want to come down to Cole's in a dress, then we're going to have a problem. We're a team here Drew, and you're going to put that dress on."

"Now listen, if you don't want to come down to Cole's in a dress, then we're going to have a problem. We're a team here Drew, and you're going to put that dress on."

That would be a great team building excersice though, have them all put on dresses and walk in public. :D

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.