First Round Playoff Thread

Eleven

I wasn't able to watch the game last night, but once I read it, I just knew that Bonino was involved. It's not the first time for him:

(Skip up to the 3 minute mark)

I don't know when that was, but the Sabres beat the Bruins 6-1 that night.

How was that not awesome? And Pelly just hung out there so patiently. My only wish is that it were three rounds later so Dallas fans could have a "richer" game 6 OT loss experience.

Sure you have. The Sabres have won games that way.

I like the way you think.. How about on Brett Hull appreciation day too...

How was that not awesome? And Pelly just hung out there so patiently. My only wish is that it were three rounds later so Dallas fans could have a "richer" game 6 OT loss experience.

Sure you have. The Sabres have won games that way.

I felt all warm and tingly watching Dallas lose like that. It was awesome.

I felt all warm and tingly watching Dallas lose like that. It was awesome.

I didn't get to watch the OT, but I think we all knew what was going to happen as soon as Pelly scored. Just like we all knew seven years ago when Drury put one behind Lundqvist.

Lehtonon deserves some criticism for his part in the Dallas meltdown. The third goal went in because his positioning was off (too low) and the tying goal he was just lying there with no real attempt to find the puck. His positioning wasn't great on the winning goal either.

On the flip-side, one goalie who played really well when it mattered was Corey Crawford. He made some clutch saves, especially in the game 5 OT game. Stopped 35 of 36 in the Game 6.

Lehtonon deserves some criticism for his part in the Dallas meltdown. The third goal went in because his positioning was off (too low) and the tying goal he was just lying there with no real attempt to find the puck. His positioning wasn't great on the winning goal either.

On the flip-side, one goalie who played really well when it mattered was Corey Crawford. He made some clutch saves, especially in the game 5 OT game. Stopped 35 of 36 in the Game 6.

I'm not sure what more Lehtonen could have done on the tying goal. There were about fifty people, including some rink staff and, I believe, a beer vendor, jamming at that thing. I agree on the third goal though.

They have? My memory fails me, I don't recall when?

I obviously should rephrase though - "How the hell do you allow two goals when facing an empty net"?

I think against Atlanta, IIRC. I know I've seen it.

Here's an article partly discussing it; it happened 5 times in the 2009-10 season: http://m.theglobeand...?service=mobile

Edited by Eleven

I know people love to complain about the NHL, can we all agree this new playoff format has worked and offered some really good 1st round match-ups and hockey.

It has, but it won't be long before the same complaints that took them to conference-wide 1st rounds resurface.

I'm not sure what more Lehtonen could have done on the tying goal. There were about fifty people, including some rink staff and, I believe, a beer vendor, jamming at that thing.

haha! Well, as we know the goal by Anaheim stood. However, if the Sabres had scored in a similar fashion, the official(s) probably would have waived it off, claiming they "intended" to blow the whistle because the puck wasn't "visible".

Edited by Jsixspd

I wasn't able to watch the game last night, but once I read it, I just knew that Bonino was involved. It's not the first time for him:

(Skip up to the 3 minute mark)

I was going to say how I turned that game on late in the third when it was 3-1 and I how I couldn't believe that it was 5 years ago, but then ...

I didn't get to watch the OT, but I think we all knew what was going to happen as soon as Pelly scored. Just like we all knew seven years ago when Drury put one behind Lundqvist.

:cry:

haha! Well, as we know the goal by Anaheim stood. However, if the Sabres had scored in a similar fashion, the official(s) probably would have waived it off, claiming they "intended" to blow the whistle because the puck wasn't "visible".

I seem to recall Leopold poking a puck into the net against the Leafs in some crazy goal mouth scramble at the end of the game not too long ago. Am I mis-remembering? No intent to blow :)

I seem to recall Leopold poking a puck into the net against the Leafs in some crazy goal mouth scramble at the end of the game not too long ago. Am I mis-remembering? No intent to blow :)

I remember that, Vanek scored against the Canadiens to force ot in a similar fashion (last year?)

There's a memo that allows the on-ice officials to let questionable Sabres goals stand, as long as a certain set of conditions are met.

1. The game must be absolutely meaningless, i.e. the Sabres may not be in a position where they can either move into a playoff position, or stop certain other teams from moving into said playoff position.

2. These teams are Boston, Montreal, Toronto, any team with Sydney Crosby on the roster, and if the goal is scored against the Flyers, the Flyers.

3. The goal must under NO CIRCUMSTANCES happen in a playoff game.

If any of said conditions are NOT met, the goal must be called off immiediately, preferrably without any explanation or review, and an automatic game misconduct must be handed out to John Scott.

Edited by Kristian

There's a memo that allows the on-ice officials to let questionable Sabres goals stand, as long as a certain set of conditions are met.

1. The game must be absolutely meaningless, i.e. the Sabres may not be in a position where they can either move into a playoff position, or stop certain other teams from moving into said playoff position.

2. These teams are Boston, Montreal, Toronto, any team with Sydney Crosby on the roster, and if the goal is scored against the Flyers, the Flyers.

3. The goal must under NO CIRCUMSTANCES happen in a playoff game.

If any of said conditions are NOT met, the goal must be called off immiediately, preferrably without any explanation or review, and an automatic game misconduct must be handed out to John Scott.

Someone screwed up the call big time, then ;)

Hehe. Yup, Leopold vs. the Leafs at the end of the 2011-2012 season. Sadly, not enough to will the Sabres into the playoffs. It was a fun push though.

Edited by Cereal

I've been really impressed by Crawford this year. I thought the Hawks might regret signing him to that deal but he's proved that he's no 1 year wonder.

Huge difference between MSG yesterday and whatever arena Ohio plays in today. Yesterday: some organ music in between plays. Tonight: BLARING generic stadium crap from every whistle to every draw. Apparently, Ohio needs a sideshow all the time. And I am well aware that this crap is infecting the F'NC, too. I want it stopped.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.